Skip to main content
Topic: headlight question... (Read 3232 times) previous topic - next topic

headlight question...

Ok, so I polished up the headlights on the 87 Cougar, and they look real nice :D  :confused: . My question is, there is alot of condensation on the inside, what is a good way to remove and prevent this??
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Re: headlight question...

Reply #1
Quote from: cougarman
Ok, so I polished up the headlights on the 87 Cougar, and they look real nice :D  :confused: . My question is, there is alot of condensation on the inside, what is a good way to remove and prevent this??

I remember reading somewhere about how to pry apart the housing and reseal it after polishing the inside.  It may have been on the old or board or another forum...  That's probably not much help.  I'll see if I can find it again.
1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #2
You pry the lense off using a flat head screwdriver or putty knife. Then clean and dry the inside of the lense and reflector. There is a clear lense adhesive/sealer from Permatex that you can get to put the lense back on and seal.

Reply #3
Thanks!  :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #4
hell, i didnt even do that

i brough the lights in the house, and once they dried, i took some silicone based sealant, and ran a bead around the lights where they join the bucket and lens, and use my finger to press as much into the gaps as i could, and let that cure over night, then ran another bead over top of that, let that cure, ran some electrical tape over the silicone bead, and they havnt leaked since, did that 1.5 years ago
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #5
Electrical tape stayed on for a year and a half?  That stuff usually falls off right away for me.

Reply #6
I do what Shawn suggested, but use teflon tape to wrap the seam after I run the silicone bead around it(before it cures)

Reply #7
the e-tape fell off after a few months, but i put it on just so that the silicone could cure without shiznit picking at it like road debris
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #8
On the topic of headlights, anyone have any tips on the best way to wire up a headlight relay? I've been reading ways to do it from anything like the foglight guides over on some mustang forums to a guide written for our very own cars at turbotbird.com.

The one at turbotbird only seems to extend wire, not replace any with a thicker gauge. How's the wire thats currently in there if it goes to a relay on the fender instead of through the switch? I currently have ~1.5v drop between the battery and headlight which isn't too bad from what I've heard about other peoples' cars.

Planning on picking up the relays, fuses, wiring tomorrow evening to get going.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #9
On the topic of headlights, anyone have any tips on the best way to wire up a headlight relay?
You could just build a nice, neat mini-harness out of thicker wire, with a few connectors, some new headlight sockets, and either find a backwards socket (can't solder to 9004 internals... I tried), or use some spade terminals plugged into one of the original sockets to trigger the relays. Here's one of many pics I have in my "headlight" folder:
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #10
Summit Racing sells a harness for redoing your headlights with a relay. (shhh, it's made by apc)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3

Reply #11
the only 9004 harness I see is this one: http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=partdetail.asp&autofilter=1&Ntt=headlight+harness&N=0&part=SUM%2D890030&autoview=sku&Ntk=KeywordSearch (same as the picture posted in this thread). Searching under "relay", none of the results come up with the correct bulb type. Should I just go the easy route and get it from them? Anyone know anything about the relays used or the wire gauge? Guess I'll just email them to find out. Should still be better than the oem setup.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #12
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

I was considering getting the kit from this guy and using my own (10ga.) wire.

DANIEL STERN LIGHTING Relay Installation Packages to bring full voltage, full current to headlamp bulbs; learn the how and why here. Kits include all Hella-made extreme-duty parts to accept your own 10-12ga wire: 40A relays with dual output terminals, relay brackets/terminal blocks, terminals, extra-tough fused fuseholders and extra-tough headlamp sockets. All kits intended for installation on vehicles originally equipped with 9004, 9005/9006 and 9007 bulbs include plug-on adaptors so you need not cut your vehicle's original wires.

Wire is not supplied because your local economy offers a wide selection of colors and lengths; it's the hardware in these kits hardware that is so hard to find.

Reply #13
I like that guy's site...and the prices aren't too bad. Where'd you hear about him from? Reputable?
1988 Thunderbird Sport