Skip to main content
Topic: 2 full console 1987 LS's (Read 1136 times) previous topic - next topic

2 full console 1987 LS's

Reply #15
Quote from: ZondaC12;438121
I just can't believe how horribly suited to these cars the most common gearset was. Was that really necessary to meet CAFE requirements? Everything depends on how they're driven...but even 3.27's give so much more torque than 2.73s. Lou, the Mark has those, right? Those are heavier than birds/cats too.

I'd imagine a low-option (read:no power seats, no power moonroof, maybe even no power windows) car with 3.27's and the stock 5.0 wouldn't be too awful.

The Mark VII has 3.27s and a Traction-Lok because it's a LSC. The Bill Blass cars had 3.08s with an open differential. Either way still slow. Mine hits 60 in about 8 seconds.

It's not much heavier than my Thunderbird. My Thunderbird (fully loaded sans sunroof) weighs in at 3560 with a full tank and no driver, 3710 with me. My Mark VII with everything but a JBL audio system weighs 3754 with a full tank and no driver, 3904 with me. Only a 200ish pound difference, which is worth about .2 seconds in the quarter and 0-60.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.