Skip to main content
Topic: 83 Turbo Coupe?(ebay) (Read 3243 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 83 Turbo Coupe?(ebay)

Reply #15
Well Canada is a whole different ball game.  They have no rhyme or reason to what they do....I think they take whatever Ford US has left over powertrain-wise and sees what they can do with it....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #16
True dat...it's keeping me on my toes though. ;)

Just FYI about the TRX's. Back about 15 years ago a customer brought in a photo to me, to airbrush onto a T-shirt. She had a 1983 Mustang GLX convertible with the TRX rims. Get this...whitewalls. And they were made by Goodyear. The car was all original...she drove it out for me to see it one day. Goodyear also made TRX-spec tires as OEM, not just Michelin, although after awhile Goodyear obviously dropped the whole line. I thought it was hilarious to see whitewall TRX tires on a car. Amazing that I haven't seen those on Cougars or T-Birds. :)

Reply #17
Hey, get in line for Eric's site updates.. we're still waiting for him to respond on the V6 rocker arm ratio thing we brought up in my EFI 300 thread months ago. :p

Reply #18
Quote from: Bird351
Hey, get in line for Eric's site updates.. we're still waiting for him to respond on the V6 rocker arm ratio thing we brought up in my EFI 300 thread months ago. :p

I've got that on the pile 'o things to amend. Just a little bit busy planning a car show right now. ;)

Reply #19
a 1983 302 carber XR7? I would like to see that
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #20
I don't doubt its existence - Ford of Canada did some strange things, probably only because they could get away with it - our emissions standards were not as stringent as yours back then, so we got carbs on V6 models up to and including '86 (and I've even heard of 'em in '87 models). I know T-Birds/Cougars came with a carbed 302 in '83 because a buddy of mine had one, a red '83 T-Bird. His had the Mororcraft 2bbl from factory.

And FoMoCoCa did some strange things with names, too - f'rinstance, we could buy Mustang Cobras up here throughout the 80's and early 90's. Our Mustang Cobra was your Mustang GT. Actually, I should clarify that a bit: Our Mustang Cobra GT was the same as your GT. Identical cars except ours had a Cobra decal on the trunk.

Look at Ford of Mexico, too. You could buy supercharged Ford (not Mercury) Cougar XR7's into the mid 90's. You could buy V6 and V8 'Birds and cats with four-speeds in the early-mid 80's (if I remember correctly - I'm sure MexCougar could verify).

And it wasn't only Ford. Ever hear of a Pontiac Acadian? In the 60's it was a Canadian Pontiac version of the Nova, in the 80's it was the Canadian version of the T1000 (Chevette). We got the Hyundai Pony (lucky us) two years before you guys got any Hyundais at all (even luckier you). Pontiac never sold a J2000 here, it was always a Sunbird (though I think in early years it may have been a J2000 Sunbird, but we just called 'em Sunbirds). We could buy a Pontiac Parisienne throughout the 80's - you guys didn't get it until '85 or so (Pontiac decided to start selling it there because of its enormous popularity up here). Our Mercury Capri went away in '86 and never came back (we never got the little Miata-like thing). El Camino went away in '81, you guys could buy 'em until '87. Even today we can buy a Pontiac Pursuit if we don't feel like a Chevy Cobalt, and we can buy a Nissan X-Trail (an Escape sized mini-SUV). We can still buy Crown Vics, whereas IIRC you guys have gotta be a cop to buy one (we can't buy a Grand Marquis, though, because there are no Mercury dealerships here anymore).

And just think of what's available overseas...

Oh, and Eric: In the early 80's you could buy TRX tires from almost anyone, and you could get TRX-sized rims for just about any car in the aftermarket (according to the old Tire Rack ads, anyway). Since Ford was the only manufacturer to pick them up as an OEM option they didn't last, though.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #21
Hey eric we talked about this 4 or 5 years ago on the old old board.
Artic kat even seen the car posted about it.
Ether way its crushed and gone now.
Your only comment on the pics of the car were the XR7 tages on there car as they were off a M12 car and stuck on after it was painted.

But this is why u would not post the pics of my car on CoolCats,
Ether way it never made me leave Cool cats LOL

Reply #22
Quote from: SirChirpAlot
Hey eric we talked about this 4 or 5 years ago on the old old board.
Artic kat even seen the car posted about it.
Ether way its crushed and gone now.
Your only comment on the pics of the car were the XR7 tages on there car as they were off a M12 car and stuck on after it was painted.

But this is why u would not post the pics of my car on CoolCats,
Ether way it never made me leave Cool cats LOL

I don't recall ever having that conversation...strange. No matter, if you have pix, the site is self-serve now...go for it. Sorry if I sounded like a prude 5 years ago. it's just that, I'm pretty frustrated that there's a ton of MN12 literature in my possession, but hardly anything for the Fox cars. While I'm good at digging up lit at swap meets and on the Internet, I've yet to find any Fox dealership brochures from Canada. If an XR7 model is in the 1983 Canadian Cougar brochure, it's legit and I'd like to have that for the site. Otherwise...anyone can slap an emblem or two (or eight, like "Mr. Identity Crisis" LOL) on a car and call it whatever they want. I see it over and over again. I just want the facts in print before I commit to having something on the site.

Reply #23
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
f'rinstance, we could buy Mustang Cobras up here throughout the 80's and early 90's. Our Mustang Cobra was your Mustang GT.

I actually nearly bought a Gunmetal Grey version of one of these NEW in late 85 at a local dealer in the US. They apparently got a carrier full of these in from a Canadian dealership that couldnt move them. When I test drove it, it had the cobra sticker on the deck lid, and the KPH Speedo installed. They swapped the speedometers to FMS parts, and provided a certificate of odometer upon delivery. Unfortunately, they werent terribly motivated to sell them (price), and a RWD V-8 car didnt make good sence for me at the time (80 mile commute in the mountains in SW PA).

Bob Myers

Reply #24
Quote from: EricCoolCats
I Otherwise...anyone can slap an emblem or two (or eight, like "Mr. Identity Crisis" LOL)

ROFL :bowdown:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #25
okay, not sure if i posted this yet or not. browser is acting up..

Weasle. was trying to remember your name so i could look up pics of your car the other day, you should post some in the user rides section (search didn't turn any up)
also, {CPF} ring a bell?

Reply #26
Only think i have left is the buys package that we have here that tells year and model and how many people have owned the car. I have looked for a 1983 Canadian Cougar brochure for a wile and could only find US ones.

Even to this date i have only heard of 2 other 83XR7s and one had a 3.8 other was a 302 car.  Odds are the 3.8 is a wantabe one.