Skip to main content
Topic: heads for flat top pistons (Read 5086 times) previous topic - next topic

heads for flat top pistons

Reply #30
Quote from: thunderjet302;435757
Going fast costs $$$. It's not just the heads but the other parts as well.

Switching from 19lb to 24lb injectors is going to require either MAF or a Computer tune. SD will only run with 19lb injectors (stock HO computer) Yes your Thunderbird computer won't work. You're going to need a 5.0 Mustang computer. More $$$.

Ok.  That's good to know.  I have 19# to start with and a Mustang computer already.  Then I'll change to MAF. 

I spoke with one of the tech people from a store that sell the TW heads and he said that with the HO cam, the stock HO push rods are the correct length and will work fine.  I just happen to have a set of those so I'll swap those in when I slap the heads on.
'88 Bird 5.0, TW 170s, HO cam, Scorpion rockers, Explorer intake 70mm TB/EGR, MAF conversion, 24# injectors, 8.8 3.73 disc rear end swap, console swap, leather seats, 11" front discs, 15-1 rack, TC springs all around, x-pipe, BBK headers,  welded sub-frame, unlocked digital speedo.

Reply #31
Grab a pushrod checker they are cheap and work rather well. have a great evening guys.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #32
Thanks everyone for the help.  Looking forward to busting through the 0-60 8 second time.
'88 Bird 5.0, TW 170s, HO cam, Scorpion rockers, Explorer intake 70mm TB/EGR, MAF conversion, 24# injectors, 8.8 3.73 disc rear end swap, console swap, leather seats, 11" front discs, 15-1 rack, TC springs all around, x-pipe, BBK headers,  welded sub-frame, unlocked digital speedo.

Reply #33
Quote from: marianadeeps;435765
Ok.  That's good to know.  I have 19# to start with and a Mustang computer already.  Then I'll change to MAF. 

I spoke with one of the tech people from a store that sell the TW heads and he said that with the HO cam, the stock HO push rods are the correct length and will work fine.  I just happen to have a set of those so I'll swap those in when I slap the heads on.

I would check the pushrod length. From what I have heard you'll need longer pushrods no matter what cam you run. Plus you can't re-use the stock pushrods with stud mount rockers. They have guide plates which will wear holes in the stock pushrods. You'll need hardened pushrods for the Twisted Wedge heads. No matter what you're buying pushrods ;).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #34
I just remembered I had this. Owner claims 330 horse at the wheels.

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcjpXbMiCtg&list=PLkeZTGsldc5f85K_SQbu2rB-KYF6ZW9HF

car has: -Trick flow TW170 heads with high lift valve option
-ARP 9/16 rocker studs
-Comp pro magnum roller rockers
-Lunati hardened pushrods
-Ed Curtis custom billet cam
-Edelbrock RPM II manifold
-Cobra injectors, mallory fuel rails and pressure regulator
-PP 70mm Throttle body and EGR spacer
-C&L Intake tube
-Thunderbird S/C MAF sensor
-K&N filter
-X3Z ECU with SCT chip and tune
-BBK 1 5/8 chrome long tubes into -BBK X pipe
-Custom magnaflow lers
-Taylor racing plug wires
-JEGS SFI harmonic balancer
-Ford high-rpm water pump
-Underdrive pulleys
-JEGS aluminum radiator
-Walbro 255 fuel pump
1986 Ford Thunderchicken, 5.0 AOD w/ Shift kit,  354,XXX miles. 1-Family owned. Original engine+trans.
8.8 Disc Rear w/ 3.73 Posi. CHE Control Arms. '04 Cobra brakes all around. 2000 Cobra R wheels. Tubular front LCA's. MM Steering Shaft. Unlocked Speedo, Lowering springs, Eibach sway bars front and rear. Ram air intake.

Reply #35
Quote from: thunderjet302;435805
I would check the pushrod length. From what I have heard you'll need longer pushrods no matter what cam you run. Plus you can't re-use the stock pushrods with stud mount rockers. They have guide plates which will wear holes in the stock pushrods. You'll need hardened pushrods for the Twisted Wedge heads. No matter what you're buying pushrods ;).

Strange.  LateModelRestoration said the old HO rods would work.  Summit Racing told me to buy these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-7826-16/overview/    6.248.  they said they looked it up in the Comp Cam book and it said 6.250.  These are the universal push rods.

Reply #36
Trick Flow said that 6.750 push rods were to be used with the Twisted Wedge 170 heads and that's what they send in the top end kits for the 5.0.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #37
Bottom line is they have to be checked. Never assume a part fits . And if the head is a stud unit you need hardened ones or as posted above they will wear through. But most push rods are hardened but you never assume that. I can not stress the need to check the length you need. Dynamic Stacking always throws a wrench in things like this. That is what blueprinting is all about.  Have a great evening guys.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #38

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcjp...u2rB-KYF6ZW9HF

-ARP 9/16 rocker studs
-C&L Intake tube
-K&N filter
-Custom magnaflow lers
-Underdrive pulleys
-JEGS aluminum radiator
-Walbro 255 fuel pump

I had that same "high lift valve" option with my heads.  It's basically Trick Flow's upgrade spring package.  When Ed Curtis spec'd my cam based on what I wanted, I was told to ditch that setup or revise what I wanted....  There is no way that the TFS setup would have handled the cam.  My guess is valve float would have snuck in around 5500 RPM.  Maybe sooner.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #39
Quote from: kylesburrell;435812

video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcjpXbMiCtg&list=PLkeZTGsldc5f85K_SQbu2rB-KYF6ZW9HF

-ARP 9/16 rocker studs
-C&L Intake tube
-K&N filter
-Custom magnaflow lers
-Underdrive pulleys
-JEGS aluminum radiator
-Walbro 255 fuel pump

My soon to be brother in law has an unused, not running, 89 RX7 sitting at his house. This. This is an epic idea.....
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.