Skip to main content
Topic: heads for flat top pistons (Read 5159 times) previous topic - next topic

heads for flat top pistons

Reply #15
Quote from: Haystack;435643
Trickflow heads.

Yup.  The TFS TW heads have a canted valve design.  I have true flat tops.  No dish, no valve relief.  They're not stock either..... Currently running a cam with .565" lift and about 230 degrees duration @ .050".......  PTV clearance is fine.  And yeah, comfortably over 300 to the tire....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #16
Twisted Wedge 170s, a decent cam, Track Heat intake, and 75mm Tb should make 300rwhp on a 302-306ci engine all day long. I've seen plenty of combos do it.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #17
Quote from: TOM Renzo;435666
I just finished a 347 and it dynowed @ 329 WHP on a MUSTANG DYNO and the build was NA. Not great numbers by any means but good for the setup at hand.

What heads/cam/intake were on that 347? 329rwhp is weak for a 347.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #18
Two words are overlooked here:  MUSTANG DYNO.  On a Dynojet I'd wager you'd see the magic 350....maybe a tad more....  I'm gonna wager that the heads aren't too big.  My guess is they're smaller than say.... an AFR 185....

Quote from: thunderjet302;435688
Twisted Wedge 170s, a decent cam, Track Heat intake, and 75mm Tb should make 300rwhp on a 302-306ci engine all day long. I've seen plenty of combos do it.
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #19
Quote from: V8Demon;435690
Two words are overlooked here:  MUSTANG DYNO.  On a Dynojet I'd wager you'd see the magic 350....maybe a tad more....  I'm gonna wager that the heads aren't too big.  My guess is they're smaller than say.... an AFR 185....

Yeah a 347 needs at least a 205cc head.

Reply #20
Quote from: thunderjet302;435688

That's encouraging.  with 24# injectors?  Can I reuse my push rods?  $1250 for the heads, $300 for the 1.6 rockers, gaskets and head bolts.  Does that sound right?  Oh and something more aggressive than the HO cam or should I stick with it for clearance peace of mind?
'88 Bird 5.0, TW 170s, HO cam, Scorpion rockers, Explorer intake 70mm TB/EGR, MAF conversion, 24# injectors, 8.8 3.73 disc rear end swap, console swap, leather seats, 11" front discs, 15-1 rack, TC springs all around, x-pipe, BBK headers,  welded sub-frame, unlocked digital speedo.

Reply #21
Quote from: marianadeeps;435696
That's encouraging.  with 24# injectors?  Can I reuse my push rods?  $1250 for the heads, $300 for the 1.6 rockers, gaskets and head bolts.  Does that sound right?  Oh and something more aggressive than the HO cam or should I stick with it for clearance peace of mind?

HO cam should work but there is no way you can re-use the stock pushrods. The Twisted Wedge heads have a different valve train geometry than inline (i.e. every other 302/351W head) heads and require a longer pushrod. Plus TW heads use stud mount rockers and guide plates which require hardened pushrods. Stock pushrods are not hardened. 

A HO cam, Twisted Wedge heads, and a GT40 style intake should make 270-280 at the wheels and good low end torque. It will top out around 5000-5500 rpm. A more aggressive cam and larger intake should get you 300rwhp.

Your stock AOD is going to suck with the Twisted Wedge setup. You need at least a shift kit/valve body and converter, which is more $$$.

Reply #22
I call this the HEART BREAKER. People come in and think they are going to make tuns of HP. They leave Heart Broken. many times people tell me my DYNE is way off. BS the Mustang dyne is the bottom line. A dyno jet will always make much more HP than a mustang WAY MORE. totally apples and oranges. we have seen sheets at 450HP on a D JET and we test the same car at under 380. what you have to do when fly cutting is to have a stone or grinder larger than the head of the valve in question. Another words bigger in diameter. Otherwise the relief is NG. Using the sticky grit method id ok but not as good as the ISKY setup. remember you do not want the edges to roll over. that is where you will have issues. And as i said the relief has to be bigger then the valve you use. And every relief has to be exactly the same. Then you need to balance the pistons of course.  Here we go!!

NOTE never run a cam without checking PV clearance. I have seen strange things in my day. Never trust a combination without testing the clearance.

http://iskycams.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/30888/NP-1132

347 CUIN Renegade 165 balanced and relieved custom cam 550 L 236 @ 50 115 LC advanced 4* CR 10-1 36* total timing 24 LB GT 40 explorer induction. 329 HP and 380 lbs of twist. Mustang Dyno great running DD and relatively cheap build i am very satisfied with the numbers and the cost of this 347. Have a great night guys.

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #23
Quote from: TOM Renzo;435701

347 CUIN Renegade 165 balanced and relieved custom cam 550 L 236 @ 50 115 LC advanced 4* CR 10-1 36* total timing 24 LB GT 40 explorer induction. 329 HP and 380 lbs of twist. Mustang Dyno great running DD and relatively cheap build i am very satisfied with the numbers and the cost of this 347. Have a great night guys.

Well that's why a 347 made 302 power:hick:

AFR165 heads, GT40 intake, 24lb injectors are all 302-306ci parts. A 347 with 302 parts will make 302 power.

If they guy had ponyed (pun intended) up for some good flowing heads/intake for 347ci it would have made more power. Some AFR205/TW205 or bigger heads, Trick Flow R or Edelbrock Victor Jr intake, 90mmTB, and a cam to tie it all together and that 347 would be kicking out 380-400hp at the wheels even on a Mustang Dyno. More cubes need more airflow.

Reply #24
I know that but i can not spend other peoples money. We pieced the engine together for as reasonable as possible. Customer provided the parts. We told him it would be low on power but he wanted high torque at low RPM. So i put it together and the numbers we got were more than i expected as i posted previously. That car would snap your neck with torque from idle to 4800 and pulled like a rapes ape. I was very satisfied with the torque band.  And for that setup it made great HP.  With that have a great day.

The difference between dynos is APP 8-9% or 1.14 we tell our customers between a Mustang and D jet. Some  will argue this. bottom line is  track numbers.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #25
My dyno guy has an MD.  My S197 made 402 with a hamster wheel for a pulley.  I need more converter in that car.  On a cold day she'll give about 3200.  The car needs about 3800-4000.

Reply #26
Quote from: thunderjet302;435699
HO cam should work but there is no way you can re-use the stock pushrods. The Twisted Wedge heads have a different valve train geometry than inline (i.e. every other 302/351W head) heads and require a longer pushrod. Plus TW heads use stud mount rockers and guide plates which require hardened pushrods. Stock pushrods are not hardened. 

A HO cam, Twisted Wedge heads, and a GT40 style intake should make 270-280 at the wheels and good low end torque. It will top out around 5000-5500 rpm. A more aggressive cam and larger intake should get you 300rwhp.

Your stock AOD is going to suck with the Twisted Wedge setup. You need at least a shift kit/valve body and converter, which is more $$$.

Thanks.  How do I know what length push rods to order?  I saw these on a site that other people were buying with those heads:  TRICKFLOW PUSHROD KIT, 5/16" 6.700" LONG.  They were $119.  Seems like a lot of $ for push rods.  Are those the correct dimensions?

so now I'm up to:  Heads + rockers + head bolts + gasket kit + push rods (and an upgraded fuel pump).  anything else?    Does the HO SD computer care whether I have 19# or 24# injectors? or is that only when I go to mass air?

Understand about the AOD.  I'll have to get a shift kit (and possibly a new torque converter) installed when I do my floor shifter conversion.
'88 Bird 5.0, TW 170s, HO cam, Scorpion rockers, Explorer intake 70mm TB/EGR, MAF conversion, 24# injectors, 8.8 3.73 disc rear end swap, console swap, leather seats, 11" front discs, 15-1 rack, TC springs all around, x-pipe, BBK headers,  welded sub-frame, unlocked digital speedo.

Reply #27
Those ae correct if you run the Trick Flow Stage 1 cam IIRC..... 

Pushrods should be measured.  Read here:  http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0401_setting_pushrod_length/

$119 aint terrible for a set of hardened pushrods.... you gotta pay to play.

Reply #28
Quote from: TOM Renzo;435713
I know that but i can not spend other peoples money. We pieced the engine together for as reasonable as possible. Customer provided the parts. We told him it would be low on power but he wanted high torque at low RPM. So i put it together and the numbers we got were more than i expected as i posted previously. That car would snap your neck with torque from idle to 4800 and pulled like a rapes ape. I was very satisfied with the torque band.  And for that setup it made great HP.  With that have a great day.

The difference between dynos is APP 8-9% or 1.14 we tell our customers between a Mustang and D jet. Some  will argue this. bottom line is  track numbers.

When you have to work with a budget compromises are made, none of it your fault. If the guy had more money he could have had a real screamer on his hands. Still 329rwhp (about 370-380fwhp) is enough to get someone in trouble on the street :).

Reply #29
Quote from: marianadeeps;435730
Thanks.  How do I know what length push rods to order?  I saw these on a site that other people were buying with those heads:  TRICKFLOW PUSHROD KIT, 5/16" 6.700" LONG.  They were $119.  Seems like a lot of $ for push rods.  Are those the correct dimensions?

so now I'm up to:  Heads + rockers + head bolts + gasket kit + push rods (and an upgraded fuel pump).  anything else?    Does the HO SD computer care whether I have 19# or 24# injectors? or is that only when I go to mass air?

Understand about the AOD.  I'll have to get a shift kit (and possibly a new torque converter) installed when I do my floor shifter conversion.

Going fast costs $$$. It's not just the heads but the other parts as well.

Switching from 19lb to 24lb injectors is going to require either MAF or a Computer tune. SD will only run with 19lb injectors (stock HO computer) Yes your Thunderbird computer won't work. You're going to need a 5.0 Mustang computer. More $$$.