Skip to main content
Topic: 1984 Turbo Cougar Information (Read 1076 times) previous topic - next topic

1984 Turbo Cougar Information

I was at the small wrecking yard by my house today and they had 1984 Cougar Turbo there with manual transmission.

Anything on these of value or rare that I should pick up.

The rear looks like a 7.5, it would still be wider than a mustang right?  Even though the housing I think would be the same width.  What gears would this have?  Could it be converted with mustang brakes and axles?  My son just purchased a 81 Mustang.

Did have kink of a neat 4 spook steering wheel but no cruise controls built in?

I take it the the trans would be the weaker transmission, not the world class T-5.

Just want to know if it should be crushed or not.

TED

Re: 1984 Turbo Cougar Information

Reply #1
Nope, an '84 Rear would be the same as a Mustang rear.  And, in my '84 TurboCoupe, at least, the cruise buttons were built into the top of the turn signal stalk.  Also, yes, the trans isn't strong enough for a V8.  It shouldn't be crushed, but it probably will be because it's a 21 year old car with a 4 cylinder to most junkyards.

Reply #2
Well its a very rare car, but since nobody cares I guess it'll be crushed like all the rest!
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #3
Go back and grab me that steering wheel ;).  Seriously, if they don't rape you for it it would be worth picking up.

It's just a rare car in regards to turbo Fords.  Not as much as a couple others, but still rare anymore these days.  I'd hate to see another one crushed.

The diff in the rear is most likely a 7.5 Auburn with a 3.45 gear (at least mine was).  Badging and bits and pieces of the interior (dash, console) might be good to grab.  If it has a manual driver seat track, I'd be interested in that.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #4
Chuck!  it, I keep forgetting to get you a list of the stuff I have.  I've got the manual driver's seat track (that I just threw on the junk pile, but it's still good, I reckon) and I still have that steering wheel.

Reply #5
Quote from: Ifixyawata
Chuck!  it, I keep forgetting to get you a list of the stuff I have.  I've got the manual driver's seat track (that I just threw on the junk pile, but it's still good, I reckon) and I still have that steering wheel.

Shoot me an email  ;)

cwarren@indy.net
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon