Skip to main content
Topic: Painless 5.0 Harness (Read 3395 times) previous topic - next topic

Painless 5.0 Harness

Has anyone used the 5.0 wiring harness from painless (part 60510)?  I am getting ready to drop my rebuilt 5.0 in my 1988 t-bird, and I'd like to tuck away as much of the wiring as possible when I do the swap to have a cleaner engine compartment.

I've read on the corral that mustang folks have had good luck with this harness.  I was just curious if any t-bird/cougar guys have given is a go and can offer any real-world experience.  It's nearly $700 shipped, so not looking to experiment too much..

Geoff
T-Birds can't fly.  Ask how I know...

Painless 5.0 Harness

Reply #2
Summit has it on sale for 536.00. I have used Painless numerous times good quality and they work real nice. Wiring is my thing and i enjoy doing it more than anything. Other than driving the car of course!! Have a good day guys.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-60510/

Bellow is a split bumper Camaro i am wiring for a customer with a Painless kit. I make my bundles very carefully so they are neat and this particular customer wanted a stock look not tucked. So a lot of TAPE and thought as to how the stock wiring was done from the factory. Very good quality stuff. Note bellow every wire is marked to where it belongs. Not only with tags also marked on the wiring itself permanently across the entire wire. hard to see in the photo you have to look closely to see it

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Painless 5.0 Harness

Reply #3
I have to ask because it's not in your sig; what engine did your bird come with?  I'm just wondering why painless and not an original harness?  If you're swapping, somebody here may have a harness they'd get rid of cheaper than the kit.

Painless 5.0 Harness

Reply #4
I would not spend 500 on an engine harness.  You could get an original harness for 150 max in great shape but used.  Corral.net probably has a few on there listed.  A painless harness looks a lot harder to install than a regular harness.  Get an orginal harness and power up the needed wires. 

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34400[/ATTACH]

here is a link to the pic so you can view it in detail.  Uploading it here took away the zoom.
http://i.imgur.com/1GKQwdv.gif
84 TurboCoupe with 302 .010 over - 9.8 : 1 Forged Pistons - Edlebrock Goodies:  Aluminum Heads #6037, Intake #3821, 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/3827, Camshaft #3722 -  Interactive System & Technologies Mass Air with 24# Injectors - A9L - 3g Alternator - BBK shorties, Cat Converter H-pipe, Magniflow lers - World Class T5 1352-169 (1986, V8, WC, 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68) OEM Clutch Cable - 7.5 Trac Lock with 3.08 and slapper bars from 82 Mustang.

Painless 5.0 Harness

Reply #5
I'm considering something like this for mine.

Mines currently a CFI 5.0.

There is little chance of getting a factory harness over here.

Thinking i'll modify a local Falcon 5.0 harness first, if i don't have any luck with that i'll look at other options.
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Painless 5.0 Harness

Reply #6
Ok,  you've all talked me out of it.  The only reason I was thinking about it in the first place was to tuck away the wiring.  Seems like it would be better to take the 5.0 harness and either sprice it up, or chop it up to hide it and tuck it away.

Thanks for all the replies.  Made it an easier decision than I expected!

Geoff

Painless 5.0 Harness

Reply #7
The original Mustang 5.0 mass air engine harnesses are just not simply plug and play.  Pay very close attention to the O2 harness year as they do not mix and match.  You are also dealing with harnesses that are now a minimum of 21 years old and brittle from the heat.  Someone may correct me if I am wrong but you cannot simply swap in a Mustang 5.0 harness into a T-Bird without some pretty good electrical diagrams and being comfortable with grafting some things together.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Painless 5.0 Harness

Reply #8
Thanks Darren, I've read that.  I have an 88 T-Bird 5.0 harness, but as you say, all the connectors are 26 years old, and it's clunky and not easy to hide without lengthening and rewiring a bunch of the fittings.  Maybe I should stop focusing on what it looks like and instead focus on actually getting it going!

Geoff

Painless 5.0 Harness

Reply #9
Quote from: Aerocoupe;434308
The original Mustang 5.0 mass air engine harnesses are just not simply plug and play.  Pay very close attention to the O2 harness year as they do not mix and match.  You are also dealing with harnesses that are now a minimum of 21 years old and brittle from the heat.  Someone may correct me if I am wrong but you cannot simply swap in a Mustang 5.0 harness into a T-Bird without some pretty good electrical diagrams and being comfortable with grafting some things together.

Darren

87 to88 is different, So much is different. areocupe is right unless you think you can splice a mustang in you got your hands full. And hide everything is pretty much a dream.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +