Skip to main content
Topic: found this while looking for cat pics on google. (Read 1733 times) previous topic - next topic

found this while looking for cat pics on google.

http://forums.autoweek.com/thread.jspa?forumID=31&threadID=12222&messageID=235611
Some diffrent suggestions on bring back the cougar. Some might want to look it through. Supposedly there are plans for a 2007 cougar, But I wouldnt put any money on it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Re: found this while looking for cat pics on google.

Reply #1
LOL! I've seen that before...BenLikesCars likes to stir things up a bit. Although he did hit my site and give me some recognition.

Reply #2
if the do make a mercury mustang i hope they rename it capri. I like the cougars but they were always a slightly larger car. (ala being a t-bird rebadge)

and i am biased, i had an 80 capri RS with the flared wheel wells and fake hood scoop.

Reply #3
In my own opinion Capris have always been poo. My uncle had one of the original capri's and at 100 the thing shook all to hell .Also i really hope Mercury does not go the way of the messenger in my own opinion again its ulgy.

I dont know tho maybe if they do mass produce the messenger, it will grow on me like the guinea pig turds of a cougar that were produced between 99 and 03

Reply #4
Back in '67 Cougar started out as a up scale Mustang, but with with the Double Mistake(Mustang II) in '74 was shifted over to the Montego(Torino) line. It hung around there through '76 till it was positioned with the Bird in '77 -'97, and well you know the rest of the story.

So where do I think it ought to be??? Back where it began, but I doubt there is a large enough market for a upscale sister car to the Mustang. Then maybe if gas prices stay over $2.00 there could be a market, as folkes start ditching those huge SUVs...

Reply #5
I personally would love to see it as a mustang twin again but i think like you said there wouldent be much of a market for it. Maybe they could make it a stand alone model.......ha funny.

Reply #6
I think they should just start makeing updated versions of the 83-86 cats and birds. Just take a 98-2000 body and add the flat window and some cougar emblems. That is all most of us want anyways. But throw on sequential turn lights and the awsome flip up lights. Just take the origonal styleing cues and add a flat window and the mustang engine. That is all it is anyways.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #7
Quote from: Haystack
I think they should just start makeing updated versions of the 83-86 cats and birds.

Dream on....

Reply #8
Probably going to have to wait for them to exhaust a ton of other throwback/nostalgia options before you see a knockoff of the aero-Birds. I'll probably be Tom's age by then. :p

Reply #9
Quote from: Haystack
I think they should just start makeing updated versions of the 83-86 cats and birds. Just take a 98-2000 body and add the flat window and some cougar emblems. That is all most of us want anyways. But throw on sequential turn lights and the awsome flip up lights. Just take the origonal styleing cues and add a flat window and the mustang engine. That is all it is anyways.

thats what our particular group wants, but people that are into each era of cougar want the new cougar to be like theirs

if ford even did a cougar, on a mustang platform, and retro, it would be like the 60's
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #10
Rather see the 60s throwback Cougar now.. our time will come again. Maybe 20 years from now, but it'll probably come.

Reply #11
Quote from: Bird351
Rather see the 60s throwback Cougar now.. our time will come again. Maybe 20 years from now, but it'll probably come.

lets see they are doing the '60s in 2000s, maybe after a 10 year run they'll move up to the 70s, and then to the 80s... Some how I doubt it...

Reply #12
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
lets see they are doing the '60s in 2000s, maybe after a 10 year run they'll move up to the 70s, and then to the 80s... Some how I doubt it...

I think the pics speak for themself.

Reply #13
That means....mmmm....at 2010 we will have large boats or Muscle Cars guzzling gas, and at 2020 we will have ultra detuned cars for meeting federal requirements like the 80´s cars to run with corn...

1985 Mercury Cougar V6
1989 F-200 V8
1996 Explorer V6
2001 F-150

Reply #14
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: @ Pinto/Focus

Tom, I think you might be mistaking my post for a cheery optimistic outlook. I don't think Ford will bring back the aero-Bird design out of some overwhelming desire to give a segment of their old customer base something they want.. I think they'll eventually do it because (for example) some lazy designer will crack open a book and say something like "hey, that looks kinda spiffy, let's rip that off today because we can't think of anything else right now" and the rest will be history. It's more of a cynical type view on the issue of using and abusing the past.