Skip to main content
Topic: Was your first car a Fox Bird or Cat? (Read 5579 times) previous topic - next topic

Was your first car a Fox Bird or Cat?

Reply #15
First car, 1984 4 Door Tempo, was the family car till my Mom got a new 1991 Cougar LS in Aug if 91.  Tempo didn't last long as it started using oil pretty bad.  They found metal in the bottom of the pan and my Dad sold it to the shop doing the work.  We went looking for a car for me, this was Feb of 1992, found a silver 86 Cougar with 46k miles on it at the Ford dealership in El Dorado.  Drove that car for the next 13 years before I gave it to Goodwill (that's another story).  Had over 205k on it.  Got me through all of High School and commuting to Wichita State for 4.5yrs of school.  Drove it to work on bad weather days after I bought my 2000 Mustang GT.

Reply #16
Nope, mine was a 51'Ford F-100. Bought it for $450. Loved it! :-) flat-head V-8 4spd. My dad and I replaced a couple of burnt valves. Man that thing would haul.:evilgrin: Ended up selling it before moving from Tn to Wa state. :mad:

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #17
Quote from: 1BadBird;430431
Nope, mine was a 51'Ford F-100. Bought it for $450. Loved it! :-) flat-head V-8 4spd. My dad and I replaced a couple of burnt valves. Man that thing would haul.:evilgrin: Ended up selling it before moving from Tn to Wa state. :mad:

You mean F1, I only know since my first vehicle was a 52 F1 flathead. :hick:

The F100 designation didn't start until 1953.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #18
My first car was a '85 plain jane 3.8 rust bucket I picked up for $150. Drove it a bit over 6 months til the alternator went out which with luck I had picked up an '83 TC that I was just getting ready to drive at the time. Drove that till right before I graduated high school when I bought a '88 Sport. The Sport cause me to loose my license for a bit. Got them back and did a complete HO swap out of a MN12 bird and about a year later discovered the sitting while I didnt have me license had cause cancer to get started. Picked up another 88, but a plain 3.8 car with the intent of swapping all the Sport parts in. Never happened lost interest and got rid of both cars. Fast forward and I end up going back to my Birds!!! Had the red 88TC for about 2 years, found the too good to pass up deal on my rust free blue Tbird decided to sell the red one.

Yes Im a Tbird addict!!! LOL Of all of the previous ones I think I miss the '83 the most, especially after I discovered they have the least amount of cars produced that year. Not to mention thats the car I learned to drive a manual trans in!!!

Reply #19
Quote from: Seek;430413
True about the nostalgia. Many people have had these cars in the past, and they always say they wished they hadn't gotten rid of them. Yet none of those people are buying up the ones that do come up for sale.

I took my 'bird to Hot Rod Power Tour a few years ago.  We had to drive in rain all day and at the end of the day we were at a car wash cleaning it up.  I had a crowd gathering around it checking it out while I was drying it off.  One guy had a Terminator Cobra that was a  nice car but all he wanted to do was talk about my 'bird.  Made me feel super good about keeping the car all these years and putting the money into it.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #20
Quote from: rodsterh;430456
You mean F1, I only know since my first vehicle was a 52 F1 flathead. :hick:

The F100 designation didn't start until 1953.

You are correct. Miss that thing.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #21
My first car was a 66 Mustang coupe with a 200 I6. When the 87 T-Birds came out I just fell in love with them. Modern style, with a grill that resembled the late 70's T-Birds.

Reply #22
Quote from: Haystack;430376
I got it stuck high centered in a parking lot, smashed a fire hydrant in the drivers door, lost a tire going over 100mph, and never once really gave me any problems.

Did your parents' hair turn grey early?

Reply #24
First 1981 Cougar XR7
Second 1985 Cougar
Current 1988 Cougar

Always been a Cat guy.
Mike

Reply #25
Quote from: Chrome;430484
Did your parents' hair turn grey early?

ill just say this, my kids first car isn't gonna be a v-8 unless they build/buy it themselves.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #26
It wasn't my first car but my first new car was a black 88 Cougar XR7. It was always my favorite car but I sold it in 97. When I came across the one I have now I had to have it.

Reply #27
There is a guy with either a 87 or 88, his son has a fox notch.  Im wondering if he'd part with the bird?  Its not a 85, but there like hens teeth around here.
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.

Reply #28
Quote from: MechanicMatt;430686
There is a guy with either a 87 or 88, his son has a fox notch.  Im wondering if he'd part with the bird?  Its not a 85, but there like hens teeth around here.

I have to say I've never heard that phrase used.

Reply #29
Really?  You do get the reference thou right?
Love Foxes, Birds or Stangs.