Skip to main content
Topic: Fast idle after intake mod (Read 9373 times) previous topic - next topic

Fast idle after intake mod

Reply #45
Got it.  I didn't think about doing a sweep (meaning move the TB open slowly looking at voltage rise) but it makes sense.  If it's not pouring down rain again tomorrow,  I'll try to get to that.  Thanks!
'88 Bird 5.0, TW 170s, HO cam, Scorpion rockers, Explorer intake 70mm TB/EGR, MAF conversion, 24# injectors, 8.8 3.73 disc rear end swap, console swap, leather seats, 11" front discs, 15-1 rack, TC springs all around, x-pipe, BBK headers,  welded sub-frame, unlocked digital speedo.

Reply #46
Good luck man, you'll get it fixed.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #47
Quote from: marianadeeps;428777
Got it.  I didn't think about doing a sweep (meaning move the TB open slowly looking at voltage rise) but it makes sense.  If it's not pouring down rain again tomorrow,  I'll try to get to that.  Thanks!

and its **best** done with a cheap buttstuffog meter so you can "see" the dead spots,, the needle will deflect when you hit bad spots or a spot on the tps.
most digital meters will not be able to detect this small problem because it highly depends on your meter scale you set and its abilty to display the reading without flipping scales automatically.

make sure to use a stick pin to probe the green wire if you can , then if your worried, put a film of clear silicone over the wire hole you made.

Reply #48
If the TPS is showing proper closed voltage even if it has hot spots it will not effect base IDLE!!! If he can not get the engine to stall or come down to specks by removing the wire from the IAC he is bypassing unmetered air. Plain and simple that engine is bypassing air. FIND IT. Make sure the IAC is closed when not powered up. And if you can not bring down the idle with the MIN SCREW you are bypassing air. With the throttle plate closed MIN IDLE SCREW REMOVED and the engine still idles you have answered your question
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #49
ok. so here's an update. I started the car, pulled the plug on the IAC, no change to the idle -

There you go the engine is bypassing the IAC control and it is out of limits. That engine is drawing in air from somewhere else. FIND OUT WHY. If you can not get it to stall by removing the IAC plug you are bypassing vacuum that is unregulated.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #50
you really need to read and answer questions,, post 27,,

so do you have a vac line coming out of the front of the intake?

you did not list all the parts you brought over to this upgrade but i do see where you say you added the upper intake and the egr spacer...
comment on this also as in, you did or did not pull the lower.

you also mentioned you installed a ported out upper,, and you wanted to know what he s shaped part was on the rear of the motor to upper.
it is a support, most do not put it back on.

Reply #52
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;428802
Carb cleaner. With the engine running, spray it around the intake gaskets and vacuum lines.  When you find your vacuum leak, engine rpm will increase.

see post 5 & 19

Reply #53
Quote from: jcassity;428798
you really need to read and answer questions,, post 27,,

so do you have a vac line coming out of the front of the intake?

you did not list all the parts you brought over to this upgrade but i do see where you say you added the upper intake and the egr spacer...
comment on this also as in, you did or did not pull the lower.

you also mentioned you installed a ported out upper,, and you wanted to know what he s shaped part was on the rear of the motor to upper.
it is a support, most do not put it back on.

Hopefully you can see this picture.  I do have a vac line coming out the front.  I brought over the TB and EGR spacer, EGR valve, TPS.  I reused the IAC from the old one, I didn't pull the lower intake.

XX
'88 Bird 5.0, TW 170s, HO cam, Scorpion rockers, Explorer intake 70mm TB/EGR, MAF conversion, 24# injectors, 8.8 3.73 disc rear end swap, console swap, leather seats, 11" front discs, 15-1 rack, TC springs all around, x-pipe, BBK headers,  welded sub-frame, unlocked digital speedo.

Reply #54
Hmm the vacuum lines in the second picture don't look quite right. Did you re-connect everything as per the emissions diagram on the fan shroud?

What's with all the RTV around the throttle body/EGR spacer/IAC gaskets? Those should go on dry with no RTV.

It appears your car has a idle air adjuster between the IAC and the throttle body. Make sure both the bypasses are shut (allen screws turned all the way in) and see if the idle drops.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #55
Quote from: jcassity;428809
see post 5 & 19

I realize that this has been said before, by me even, but as this thread has gone on a crazy long time with no action but back and forth himhawing, I figured I throw it out again.  As a diagnostic method, it's still valid.

Quote from: thunderjet302;428814
Hmm the vacuum lines in the second picture don't look quite right. Did you re-connect everything as per the emissions diagram on the fan shroud?

What's with all the RTV around the throttle body/EGR spacer/IAC gaskets? Those should go on dry with no RTV.

It appears your car has a idle air adjuster between the IAC and the throttle body. Make sure both the bypasses are shut (allen screws turned all the way in) and see if the idle drops.

Remove, clean and replace/install gaskets where all that orange shiznit is.  IF you have a vac leak it'll be there, most likely.  Also, pull out that IAC spacer while you have the IAC off for gasket work.  Odds are you don't need it, and there's a good chance that it being configured wrong is causing your problem.  I had to have a spacer kit for mine, and then I found that after I replaced the IAC i didn't need it anymore.  At any rate, if you keep it in there, the min idle screw is backed all the way off because the spacer is there doing the min idle screws job.  Setting up your idle will be easier without the spacer kit.

Reply #56
and inspect that vac tree... interesting fix going on over there,, the metal tube may have not have enought hose slack and engiee torque might have cracked it.

Reply #57
how much you want for that mass air meter and adaptor,,LOL, seriously

Reply #58
OK do this and lets cut to the chase

remove the IAC cut a gasket with only the mounting holes in it. Install it in place of the stock gasket with the 4 holes.  start the engine This completely blocks bypass air from that system.  If the idle  does not change you have totally eliminated the IAC SYSTEM and ECM. Check the TPS as i explained and if ok start spraying carb cleaner. Something i do not recommend but you have no choice. if that fails either rip it down to find the leak or have it SMOKED. Check your EGR for idle flow this would be like a stuck valve ETC messed up gasket or rotted adapter plate  ETC. Make sure the throttle plate is completely closed and run the engine. If it idles high you have a vacuum leak somewhere FIND IT!!! Remember there are a few hoses under the upper intake and do not forget the PCV valve and hoses.

Reply #59
Here is an upper i removed for a vacuum leak. Note the rubber plug blew off. This is not how it is dun.