Skip to main content
Topic: What is the weight of an 87-88 Turbo Coupe with a 5.0l engine? (Read 6949 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the weight of an 87-88 Turbo Coupe with a 5.0l engine?

Have any of you had your car weighed? I have read where the 2.3l turbo engine fully dressed weighs almost as much as a 5.0l.

It says here that the 5.0l Thunderbird weighed 3316lbs, which isn't bad at all. So I wonder if the TC body weighed more than the base T-bird?

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1987/875555/ford_thunderbird_lx_5_0l_efi_v-8_automatic_overdrive.html

Reply #1
I have weighed my car a time or two without me in it at 3600lbs. this is as I drive it with lots of weight in the trunk. id guess a fully loaded 5.0 sport would weigh close to a tc. a low options model might weigh 100lbs orless.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
My 88 T-Bird weighed 1610kg (~3540 pounds) with me in it (~250 pounds at the time). It wasn't a TC, but it was close enough, having the TC seats, dash, console, hood, header panel, front brakes, rear end & brakes, and T-5 tranny. Mine might have actually weighed more than a stock TC would have weighed though, because I had welded-in subframe connectors and adjustable tubular rear control arms along with a 12" subwoofer in an enclosure plus the amps & wiring for the sound system...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #3
My alu headed 5.0 TC  with AOD weighed 3760 at the track and that was incl me (200)and approx 75-80lb of tools, spare, etc in the trunk... I also weighed it without myself and weight fell to exactly 3560...

Add approx 45/50lb for iron heads, and maybe 10-15lb for iron manifolds and cat converters...

Reply #4
The Thunderbird LX in my sig with a full tank of gas and the factory spare and jack in the trunk (nothing else in the car) is 3562lbs. I weigh 150 so race weight is about 3712.

My Thunderbird does have every factory option except a sunroof. Plus being that it's a LX it may have a bit more sound deadening.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
Quote from: M-train;428018
Have any of you had your car weighed? I have read where the 2.3l turbo engine fully dressed weighs almost as much as a 5.0l.

When Ford went after the European Road racing crowd, they decided to install the 2.3turbo in the SVO in 1964 since it weighed less and would allow the car to handle better than it would with the heavier 5.0 engine.
How much lighter I really can't say, but evidently the 2.3 fully dressed with an intercooler is still lighter than the 5.0.
Ron
Speed is just a question of MONEY How fast can you go?    (M. M.)

Reply #6
Quote from: BLKBRD88;428055
When Ford went after the European Road racing crowd, they decided to install the 2.3turbo in the SVO in 1964 since it weighed less and would allow the car to handle better than it would with the heavier 5.0 engine.
How much lighter I really can't say, but evidently the 2.3 fully dressed with an intercooler is still lighter than the 5.0.
Ron

Slap alu heads and headers on the 5.0 and there probably isn't 40-50lb difference... The bigger 5.0 flywheel and clutch will out weigh the 2.3 components but a modified 5.0 driveline isn't more than 75-80lb heavier...

For those of us running slush boxes I'd guess the AOD & A4LD are similar in weight...

Reply #7
id be surprised if a 2.3 flywheel weighed less then a 302.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
According to the Standard Catalog of Ford the 1986 T Bird w/ v8 is 3101 lbs, shipping weight,Elan w/ V6 is 2977 lbs shipping, Elan V8 is 3155 lbs shipping, Turbo coupe four is 3016 shipping wt. Herb

Reply #9
Quote from: Herbsbird;428080
According to the Standard Catalog of Ford the 1986 T Bird w/ v8 is 3101 lbs, shipping weight,Elan w/ V6 is 2977 lbs shipping, Elan V8 is 3155 lbs shipping, Turbo coupe four is 3016 shipping wt. Herb

The 83-86 cars were a bit lighter but not a whole lot (100-200lbs maybe). I know my car weighs between 3550-3560 or so as it's been on 3 different scales in the same configuration and it's been in that range.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
Quote from: Herbsbird;428080
According to this, It looks like when the heavier standard equipment on a Turbo Coupe are factored in, the stock 2.3T is probably at least 150lbs lighter than a stock 5.0.

As I see it, there would probably have to be that much weight difference or Ford would not have traded off the torque of a 5.0 to put the 2.3T in SVOs.
Its too bad that the twin overhead cam 2.3T that was planned for SVOs in 1987 never made it to market.
Ford would be nearly 30 years ahead of where it is now on four cylinder turbo technology.
Ron

Reply #11
Another question, since the 86, and older T-birds are quite a bit lighter, has anyone transplanted  a TC front end on, and pic's if you have them.........thanks.

Reply #12
Unless things have changed in the past few years, the shipping weight is always quite a few pounds lighter than the curb weight(true weight of a running car on the scale).
Factor in any grime on the engine/underside, different tires/wheels(including the spare), any add-on options, different exhaust, any kind of junk in the console/trunk or glove box, etc, and the weight can change quite a bit.
Ron

Reply #13
The question was about 1988 Turbo Coupe that weighs far more than a '86 earlier TC...

Extra weight in part comes from

Larger 11" brakes..
8.8" rear
ABS & ride control that also has probably a extra 40lb of wiring in addition to the basic components
intercooler(yeah that one is minimal)

Curb weights... The Base & LX are V6

Base... 3215
LX ..... 3259
Sport.. 3450
TC...... 3415
TC...... 3419(automatic)

Reply #14
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;428020
My 88 T-Bird weighed 1610kg (~3540 pounds) with me in it (~250 pounds at the time). It wasn't a TC, but it was close enough, having the TC seats, dash, console, hood, header panel, front brakes, rear end & brakes, and T-5 tranny. Mine might have actually weighed more than a stock TC would have weighed though, because I had welded-in subframe connectors and adjustable tubular rear control arms along with a 12" subwoofer in an enclosure plus the amps & wiring for the sound system...

Did yours have dual power seats, power recline, premium sound with EQ and amp, and electronic climate control? I think those options add about 250lbs or so to the car. I know the power seat tracks are heavy as hell. I wonder if the LX/Turbo Coupes got more sound insulation than other Thunderbirds? It appears there is some extra sound deadening under the carpet in my Thunderbird. I also wonder if there is a weight difference between the base/Sport door panels and the LX/Turbo Coupe style with the separate arm rest?