Skip to main content
Topic: Need AOD floor shifter from a 5.0 Tbird Sport or 5.0 Cougar XR7 (Read 944 times) previous topic - next topic

Need AOD floor shifter from a 5.0 Tbird Sport or 5.0 Cougar XR7

I need an AOD floor shifter for my 88 Turbo Coupe project. As far as I know they were only found in the Thunderbird Sport and 87-88 Cougar XR7s. The 87-88 Turbo Coupe auto shifter doesn't work, that's what I already have. Thanks!
347ci 4.125" bore Dart block, AFR Renegade 195cc heads, 67mm Garrett turbo, 4R75E trans

Reply #1
I guess an 84-86 Turbo Coupe or Turbo Cougar XR7 auto shifter for a C3 trans will work as well. I wouldn't mind getting the cable at the same time.
347ci 4.125" bore Dart block, AFR Renegade 195cc heads, 67mm Garrett turbo, 4R75E trans

Reply #2
Please elaborate.  Are you replacing a T5 with an AOD?  I'm confused by this statement, "The Turbo Coupe auto shifter doesn't work, that's what I already have."

Reply #3
My car is originally an 88 Auto Turbo Coupe. Its getting a big bore dart block 347 with a turbo and a 4R75E trans. The A4LD shifter that is in my car will not work with a 4R75 (which is a relative to the AOD that came in the 5.0 Birds). Like I said I need a console floor shifter out of a car that came with an AOD or C3. The A4LD shifter like I have has 7 detent positions and is labelled PRNODD21. I need a 6 detent position shifter for my trans that is labelled PRNODD1 from an AOD car or one labelled PRND21 from a C3 car.

Reply #4
Basically, I need any floor shifter for any Fox TBird or Cougar that's NOT an 87-88 Turbo Coupe.

Reply #5
Have a  shifter and cable from a 86 XR7 that had a C-3.Send me a email address and I can send pics.

Reply #6
PMed with email address.

Reply #7
Okay, so I have been offered a C3 shifter for $70. In the pictures I saw that the C3 shifter cable is basically the same as the A4LD one that I have which doesn't help me. I also see that the way the cable connects to the shifter is the same as my A4LD shifter. So the only difference between an A4LD shifter and a C3 shifter really is that the C3 one has 6 detents with no OD position. I am wondering if the AOD shifter is really the same as the C3 shifter as quoted on the coolcats aod floor shift swap article?

If the AOD shifter is mechanically the same as the C3 shifter then the AOD cable must be special and unique to the 87-88 AOD floor shift cars. Now if the it uses the Mustang style AOD cable instead, the Tbird AOD floor shifter would have to be different than the C3 shifter. I would love to see a picture of the bottom of an 87-88 AOD shifter to clear this up so I can figure out what I really need. I know what the Mustang shifters look like and I know what the A4LD/C3 Tbird shifters look like underneath. So if I can see a Tbird AOD shifter I will know if the C3 shifter will in fact work and whether or not I need to track down an AOD cable and/or an AOD shifter.

Reply #8
I found that the AOD floor shifter cable part # is E7SZ-7E395-A which tells me it is special and unique to the Tbird floor shifters (E7=1987 SZ=Thunderbird 7E395=shifter cable). The C3 and AOD shifters are probably the same and just use different cables to work with the different transmissions. I would still like to see the bottom of an AOD shifter to be sure.

Reply #9
I know that the mustang cable and the tbird cable will NOT interchange.  If you send me the pic you have I can tell you if the C3 cable is the same
or post the pic on here

SCT Tuned by Me(Greg@SpeedyDyno.com)

E.T. 10.28 @ 136.5 MPH 1/4 mile: List of Mods; 351 EFI, AFR heads,AOD,Rousch 13in frt brakes,11in rear brakes, AirRide Tech air ride system, Sub frame connetors,2400 RPM stall, 3.50,BBK shorties,T62PT Turbos  air to air intercooled, Home built kit.
Car weights 3705lbs without driver:burnout:

Reply #10
I know what the Mustang ones look like and what the Tbird ones look like. All of the Tbird shifter cables are the same on the shifter side. The C3 cable is the same as the A4LD cable which wont work at all with an AOD or 4R7x on the trans side. I'm either going to use a Tbird AOD cable and modify it to fit my 4R75E or I'm going to use the 4R70W cable I got at the yard the other day and modify it to fit the Tbird shifter. Whichever is easier. Just need to get a C3 or AOD floor shifter so I have 6 detents instead of 7 and an AOD cable to play with. I took a Mustang shifter and mocked it up the other day and I found that it won't fit without some surgery on the trans tunnel. I would rather modify a cable than modify sheet metal and the console.

Reply #11
Thanks everyone who responded to this. I am buying a shifter and AOD cable from 88turbo. I am trying to message you back 88turbo, but your inbox is full. Yes, I need just the AOD shifter and AOD cable from a V8 car. My car is already a floor shift car.