Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel pumps!! (Read 2055 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #15
so now i wonder if the hosing of the pump itself should have a heat sync or a braided cable bonded to the fuel tank to wick heat.

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #16
Jay a lot of companies are putting the pumps horizontal. I know you will appreciate this as not only does it cool the pump  it also cools the electrical connections at the pumps as well. I have never seen a melted plug on the pump side only on the top side where it adapts to the tank sender. Here is a tip. Always break off the connectors and solder the terminals in the pump side as well as the sender side. Good insurance on good connections!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #17
Quote from: 83TB;423962
your right, my wifes, 05 yukon, faild sending unit or gauge, and the oil pressure gauge is acting up.

My 05 Avalanche had bad tacho. It turns out the dash has 6 stepper style drivers that are a problem on 05 models. I had my dash rebuilt for under 100 bucks and it fixed 'em all. It was a guy on Ebay. PM me if you want his info.

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #18
Tom..... So what is the defining issue with failures??? I dont know to be honest. But running the tank down to fuel warning light is not GOOD!!! I tell my wife that all the time. Never run down past 1/4 tank as specified by most manufacturers now. Must be something to that. In tech school i go periodically to meet with Vendors and they claim full fill shock on a pump is number one for failing pumps. Another words filling a low tank.

The Mrs. continually ran her 88 T-Bird fuel tank down to reserve most of the time (almost empty), since new, DESPITE my comments to her not to do so.  The pump failed I believe (recall) about 1997.  It cost us mucho bucks--like $400 plus to replace, etc.  She was/is very conscious of not using ethanol based fuels (still reminds me not to put same in her car) due to some issue she had in the late 70s with a Cutlass.  So I know she has never used other than straight 87 Oct in her T-Bird.  I have driven my 89 Ford since 1993 (bought with 70,000 miles) and it is still using the original pump.  For reasons I wont elaborate, I fill the tank from 1/2 full most of the time--1/4 the least.  I am just that way.  Maybe if I get an emergency call at night to drive 300 miles, it wont be an issue.  OR, as happened to me repeatedly years ago in the "Big city", getting stuck in a massive winter traffic jam for hours.  I drive the T-Bird now as well.  She drives a Subaru---and still has the same "drive to empty" mentality on that car --despite T-Bird incident!

Fuel pumps!!

Reply #19
I've never heard about this kind of issue on any car. Almost all people here runs their gas tanks to empty and I've never heard of dead fuel pump because of low fuel level. There must be another problem with them.

BTW, when I bought my silver bird, the gas tank was completly dry and I didn't know it. I tried to crank it for a while. There were no gas at all. After that, I filled it up and the fuel pump was quite noisy. After couple starts it became quiet and it works fine.