Skip to main content
Topic: What kind of gas mileage you getting on your 5.0? (Read 5225 times) previous topic - next topic

What kind of gas mileage you getting on your 5.0?

so i've been getting 23-25 mpg on my 88 t-bird sport 5.0

think it's about ready to blow up or break down or something lol. curious to see what kind of gas mileage u guys get.

Reply #1
my last tank was 16
Current: 1986 Thunderbird, 105k 3.8/C5, 2 tone  Midnight Wine/Medium Taupe, wing windows, wire wheel covers.

Former: 1985 Cougar GS 115k Oxford White/Regatta Blue, 5.0, full console, 14" 8 hole aluminum T-Bird rims, Edelbrock valve covers.

Reply #2
8mpg on race gas

Reply #3
5.0 mustang gets about 18 combined

Reply #4
Just the answers the OP wanted to see....

20 years ago when I owned a 87LX tbird 5.0 with 2.73

Its got great mileage.  Easy 25mpg....driving moderate.
My next car....87TC 5spees did better....28mpg with more power.

But u can't go wrong with a stock fox 5.0...great setup.  Just not terribly fast....stock.

Travis

Reply #5
I believe that transmission, gear ratio, and type of driving greatly effect your mileage.

a.stock 5.0 with 2.73 gears should be capable of 25mpg or more if its running right. the rest is up to you and your driving habits.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
ok cool. didn't know they was capable of it. was kinda shocked myself when i done the numbers the last few weeks.was the first time i'd checked the gas mileage. i figured numbers like others posted.
mine is pretty stock except for $8 a peice spark plugs (my brother bought em before i bought the car from him,cant complain on the lifetime warranty though) and a tornado in the air intake.

i drive 50 miles a day to college and back most of it going 60-65,does 1500 rpm on tach at 60 or 65. is that the same for most of u guys?

Reply #7
I get about 19 combined on average, the fuel computer usually reports slightly lower.  Honestly though, it's a good thing I don't drive it for the fuel economy.

Reply #8
The Sport does pretty well for me. I haven't really checked the mileage since I removed the TFS-1 cam and installed the H.O cam back into it. It's doing good. I only put gas in it about every 3 weeks. When I get it back from paint I'll do a good test on it and report in.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
My old 83 5.0 Cougar got a steady 18 when delivering pizza. That was mixed town, highway, and idling in people's driveways. No AC. My 87 5.0 that I had before did better, but it's been too long to remember how much better ;)
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #10
if I got 18 while delivering pizza, then I was doing really good in my old 87 5.0. I rarely hit 45 mph though. lots of stop and go and 25-35mph zones.

my 87 bird sat 1400-1600 rpm @ 65 mph according to the digital dash which only reads 200 rpm increments.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
Going from my 2.73 gears to my 3.55's didn't help matters. Not bad, but not as good as with the 2.73's
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #12
When I was driving 80 miles a day on I was averaging 25 mpg. 75 mph with the cruise on.

Reply #13
Quote from: vinnietbird;423132
Going from my 2.73 gears to my 3.55's didn't help matters. Not bad, but not as good as with the 2.73's
is 2.73's stock i assume?
Quote from: Haystack;423131
if I got 18 while delivering pizza, then I was doing really good in my old 87 5.0. I rarely hit 45 mph though. lots of stop and go and 25-35mph zones.

my 87 bird sat 1400-1600 rpm @ 65 mph according to the digital dash which only reads 200 rpm increments.
so mine is in the right range then.was just curious
Quote from: Evil86lx;423133
When I was driving 80 miles a day on I was averaging 25 mpg. 75 mph with the cruise on.
i wish my cruise worked.I'd prob get better mileage then but also might be easier to fall asleep on them early mornings lol.

Reply #14
When my car was fully stock with 200k miles on it, I would get 20-22mpg average with my commute to school, which was maybe 8 miles. None of that was highway, a lot of lights, but also a lot of cruising (if missing lights) at 30-40mph. I later found that I seemed to do 19-20 city and 32-33 highway at 65mph and 30 at 75mph. Years later with electric fan and slightly better flowing HO upper intake, I saw a 1-1.5mpg increase overall, and managed to eke out 34.5mpg highway at 60-65mph (I tested this a few times back to back to account for atmospheric variables). I saw no noticeable impact when I went to a '93 Cobra based motor (heads, intake, new exhaust) with 8.9:1 compression. I would use 4.1-4.2 gallons of fuel each way on a 140 mile trip I was making every weekend between Vancouver, WA and Federal Way, WA (tripminder and quarterhorse logging matched up very close). The lowest trips were 4.5-4.6 gallons with traffic/rain/winter.  I also saw no change when going to GT40P heads. My highway at 65mph dropped to 26-27 after going to 3.55's. 3.08's get me 30-31mpg. No improvement in city economy.

Now that I live in the western Portland, Oregon area, it is about 160 miles and 5-5.2 gallons of gas. This was last with GT40P heads and 3.08 rear gears, using a 4R70W transmission (0.7 ratio 4th gear).

I don't care much anymore - I want to stick the 3.55's back in. My 80mpg daily driver is the one responsible for fuel savings.

And now you know ;)
1988 Thunderbird Sport