Skip to main content
Topic: Interesting Finds at Local Pick-n-Pull (pics) (Read 1041 times) previous topic - next topic

Interesting Finds at Local Pick-n-Pull (pics)

Haven't been out to the yard in a while.  I try to go every couple of months as they crush the Fox Bodies (unless its a Mustang) within 90 days of delivery.  I scored Big for a small find.  Been looking for over a year for the Cougar horn cap to fit my Sport Wheel.  Ebay, Craigslist, this forum....no luck, until today.  There it was on a recent 88 XR7 to the yard.  Alleluia!

Came off this tired warrior:

I believe this 88 XR7 was the rare Cheech and Chong Edition:

On the Thunderbird side of the yard I found a rare Bird:  The Gilligan's Island Edition...complete with PortHole:

Here's a few of the other pound puppies waiting for adoption:

I'm thinking I should harvest a decent set of rear lights for my 88 XR7 as spares.  These cars are being melted daily making parts ever harder to find.

Reply #1
What's with the port hole in the Thunderbird? Dealer thing?

Yeah it's hard to find parts for these cars around here. Every time the local Pick and Pull gets one I head out to try and grab parts. The cars are usually so trashed by the time they get to the yard that nothing is useable.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
I try to grab anything good when I find it

Reply #3
Those door panels are hilarious.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
need the chrome trim from the rear window :(

hate not having access to parts.
83 Thunderbird Heritage - Right Hand Drive
95 Falcon GLi

Reply #5
Droool... MMMM... Rust free parts.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #6
I need that shifter in the first picture! I just posted in the wanted ads for one.
347ci 4.125" bore Dart block, AFR Renegade 195cc heads, 67mm Garrett turbo, 4R75E trans

Reply #8
Quote from: Turbo363W;424033
I need that shifter in the first picture! I just posted in the wanted ads for one.

Does the tranny have to be out to remove?  If nobody has one in their garage they can part with PM me and I'll go out to the yard.  I was out there Sunday and the black XR7 is still available.

Reply #9
I can't believe how rust free junk cars down south are.  Here the bottom 2" of sheetmetal would be rusted bad.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #10
Quote from: Kafer79;424064
Does the tranny have to be out to remove?

No. You pull the console out and there are 4 8mm bolts that hold it in and one electrical connector for the light. The cable needs to be removed from the trans though. You'd have to crawl underneath and unbolt the bracket and cable from the trans and break 1 small rivet that holds the cable to the floor. I'm going to my local yards to see what I can find today.
347ci 4.125" bore Dart block, AFR Renegade 195cc heads, 67mm Garrett turbo, 4R75E trans

Reply #11
Sounds easy enough.  Let me know if you need me to pull it from the 88XR7 in my local yard.

Reply #12
PMing you now.

Reply #13
Quote from: Kafer79;424064
Does the tranny have to be out to remove?  If nobody has one in their garage they can part with PM me and I'll go out to the yard.  I was out there Sunday and the black XR7 is still available.

I've got one