Skip to main content
Topic: Brake line check time! (Read 2686 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Brake line check time!

Reply #15
Freind of mine had a caliper bolt come loose before. Guess I should fix that e-brake.
85 Tbird 5.0
78 F150 351w
13 F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost

Reply #16
Quote from: amooset
In the process of bleeding the brakes, the rear line decided to pop, just to torment me. 

Oh man that one had me cracking up!  :giggle:  :rollin:  Those kinds of jobs always go that way dont they?
Foxless :(

Reply #17
The last time I had a total brake failure was in my '50 Plymouth about 50 years ago.
It is worrysome to hear that losing the front brakes is a total loss.
The rears a supposed to be a separate hydraulic system.
How come that does'nt work?

Reply #18
well if your talking about that 50 plymouth it probably has a suicide cylinder on it.

But if your talking about the fox cars, they have two pistons but only one resevoir.
One 88

Reply #19
Yes I know the '50 Plymouth had a single hydraulic system.
The reservoir on the Foxs has two compartments, one for each system.
I had a rear brake line on my '78 Pinto spring a leak. The pedal went lower, but I still had the front brakes.
Is it possible people are driving with no rear brakes and just dont know it? Until the fronts go out?

Reply #20
Drums hardly ever work on any cars.  Self adjusters like to sieze
One 88

Reply #21
the drums work on all three of my cats....
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #22
If lubed and assembled properly, it has been my experiance that drums work just fine.  In fact, they are the only way to have a parking break that will not seise in a northern climate.  Disk type parking breaks (ie turbo coupe) will not last long in a corrosion pr0ne climate.

Many drums don;t work because people install the adjuster backwards, do not lube it with that special break parts grease, or reuse rusty break hardware.