Skip to main content
Topic: Busted bolts!!! (Read 1521 times) previous topic - next topic

Busted bolts!!!

How do you guys handle stuck stripped and busted off BOLTS. This is something all of us DRED and has to deal with it from time to time!

FIRE AWAY!!!:hick::mullet::toilet:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #1
Easy outs if no head, or craftsman makes these things that cut into the left behind nub and thread out the bolt. Other than that torch with lotta heat or just drill and crying.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #2
If the broken bolt is at all near the surface of what is being worked on, I have had good results with welding on a larger nut thru the center to the broken bolt. Crank up the welder a little to get things good and hot, wait just a bit for the weld to cool, and see what happens. If it is not a heat sensitive area I always try this before the drill and cry method. I also have some left hand drill bits, sometimes they will catch and back the broken bolt out.

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #3
I have the "GRABIT" for flush stud work broken evenly with the surface area.
Like many have experienced, these wonders work better if you follow the instructions ***BACKWARDS***
yes, use the tool in the opposite fashion the manuf states to.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_299780-41877-8430P_0__

For stripped bolt heads...............
Every half way concerned or caring shop should make room for these revenue generating gizmos..  these have been able to save my butt at least a dozen times.
everything will yield to these guys.
Craftsman Bolt-out
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/shc-952061?seid=srese1&gclid=CJWR-PrApbcCFcFDMgodx18AsA

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #4
This is what I used last TIME.

Of course, I wouldn't work on my own junk in that manner..:flame:
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #6
Quote from: jcassity;415636
thats a pretty big hammer!

Yep, it is! LOL!
"Everything the Power of the World does is done in a circle." ~ Black Elk, Oglala Lakota Holy MaWikiquote

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #7
Quote from: TOM Renzo;415604
How do you guys handle stuck stripped and busted off BOLTS. This is something all of us DRED and has to deal with it from time to time!

FIRE AWAY!!!:hick::mullet::toilet:

"Drill" them out with a left-handed drill bit designed to get busted bolts out. And, no, these aren't your normal easy out. I can't recall what they're called, but they WORK pretty darned good.
"Everything the Power of the World does is done in a circle." ~ Black Elk, Oglala Lakota Holy MaWikiquote

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #8
Quote from: bodyman;415613
If the broken bolt is at all near the surface of what is being worked on, I have had good results with welding on a larger nut thru the center to the broken bolt. Crank up the welder a little to get things good and hot, wait just a bit for the weld to cool, and see what happens. If it is not a heat sensitive area I always try this before the drill and cry method. I also have some left hand drill bits, sometimes they will catch and back the broken bolt out.

This is pretty much what I do too...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #9
Just wanted to know as i also use all the methods above. My machinist has a LAZER that burns the bolts out to the threads and does not harm them. I also make drill jigs to keep critical bolts centered when drilling. Anyway they are a bitch and all of us have had this nightmare in their encounters with the cars and work we do. Normally on bolts that are stuck the Flame wrench does the trick in most cases. But when i remove exhaust studs if they are not blind i replace them with nuts and bolts. And drill out the mating holes for extra room. Thanks for responding!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #10
depending on what is bad, i had gotten the knack of being able to torch out said broken bolt, and save the threads. takes alot of patience.  especially to work in the rot belt.

if its like a water pump bolt on a 302, a little heat, penetrating oil (preferably well worth thunderbolt). a couple hours to  soak, a little tap with the hammer. and have at it.

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #11
I knew a guy a welder that could burn out a manifold stud that broke off. And he burned out the busted piece without messing up the threads. I tried this many times on a sped manifold and could never do it. Can you do it!! That takes some know how. Wish i could learn the trick on how he did that.

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #12
i hate broken bolts .....the worst !!!!

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #13
My only input...on fox bird/cougars...buy a southern car...no rust...all bolts just come out.

Travis

Busted bolts!!!

Reply #14
Quote from: turbotrav;415686
My only input...on fox bird/cougars...buy a southern car...no rust...all bolts just come out.

Travis

Well, unless it's a coastal car that's been run on the beach. That salt and sand combo can sometimes be much worse on a car than northern road salt.