Skip to main content
Topic: T-5 problem..... (Read 3245 times) previous topic - next topic

T-5 problem.....

When I put the shifter into first gear, more often than not, it pops out when I let off the clutch. POP!!!. Not sure what the issue is. I'm no expert on the T-5. The other gears are all fine. What causes this? I'm guessing repairs or replacement is in order.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

T-5 problem.....

Reply #1
....and no, I'm not going back to an automatic.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

T-5 problem.....

Reply #2
Sounds like maybe 1st gear isn't fully engaging. Do you have an aftermarket or oem shifter?

Rebuilding it isn't hard if you have to.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

T-5 problem.....

Reply #3
Aftermarket shifter. The trans has been in for about 4 years or so. No issues at all until about a month or so ago.

T-5 problem.....

Reply #4
Bent shift fork, gear issues (dog teeth rounded off or something like that), or synchros would be my guess.  I would think that a misaligned aftermarket shifter would also cause 3rd gear to pop out as the top positive stop affects 1st, 3rs, and 5th where the bottom positive stop affects 2nd, 4th, and reverse.  If you have the installation instructions to the shifter go back through the positive stop setup procedure to validate that is not causing the issue before removing the tranny to inspect the shift fork, gears, and synchros.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

T-5 problem.....

Reply #5
This is the shifter I'm using right now....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-M-45050-Manual-Shifter-Short-Throw-Ripper-Mustang-/330919210902?hash=item4d0c526f96&item=330919210902&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

My Hurst piece was getting loose some time ago....looking for another one. I'm thinking it's internal. Nothing has changed, it just started randomly popping out of first gear a month or so ago, and now it's worse. I've never torn into a T-5 before.

T-5 problem.....

Reply #6
I'm leaning towards the synchros. I had a truck trans that wouldn't stay in 5th or 10th when pulling a hill.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

T-5 problem.....

Reply #7
Energizing teeth are shot along with the synchros.  Sounds like the tranny is going to be rebuilt or replaced. You may be better off replacing the tranny it most likely will be cheaper. Popping out of first gear is weird as you never power shift in to first gear. That is very strange. I never had a tranny do that. Normally high gear or OD does that. First gear popping out STRANGE!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

T-5 problem.....

Reply #8
Mine started popping out of first gear due to bad synchros.  Took it to a buddy to rebuild and bought the Hanlon Motorsports complete rebuild kit.  Ended up replacing one gear and adding the G-Force counter gear stabilizer as well but that was over five years ago.  I just had him check it all out a few months back prior to the 331 going in the car and he only added a couple of thousandths of shim to the input shaft.  Building one ensures you get a good transmission versus buying a used one you know nothing about.  There are a few guys up in the OKC area that build these trannys for a bill plus parts so it may be worth it to have one of them check it out.

http://www.hanlonmotorsports.com/?q=node/3

http://www.5speeds.com/t5.htm

I would wait to order the rebuild kit until it is torn down and you know what if anything is wrong.  There is a really good master rebuild kit on ebay with Koyo bearings here:

http://www.5speeds.com/t5.htm

If it was me and this was the kit I needed I would call them and get the premium kit with the Timken bearings but that is totally my personal preference.  Anyhow, hopefully its something simple and it won't need a rebuild.

Darren

T-5 problem.....

Reply #9
Funny nobody said and thing about a worn detent ball or spring.  That would be my first guess and not hard to fix.

T-5 problem.....

Reply #10
I have never had a T-5 apart to look inside. I have NO idea about them internally. I think I'll start looking for a replacement. Although mechanically inclined, I'd rather not get into the T-5 myself to mess with it. I'll start stashing funds, and selling a couple of parts and swap out the trans.

T-5 problem.....

Reply #11
I had a 01 3 series beamer that did the exact same thing 1st gear would just about break my wrist when i let off the clutch and it turned out to be the syncros went bad.
1987 Thunderbird Sport (soon to be GT edition) - In shop getting new paint job and interior work. (put on hold as of 11/2/2010, Resumed and going at it slowly its hard to be poor nowadays...)

T-5 problem.....

Reply #12
Vinnie,

If I come across one down here I will holler at you as I come up to OK about every two months or so.

Darren

T-5 problem.....

Reply #13
Darren, that would be great. I'm posting my polished GT-40 upper intake for sale to help fund this ordeal.

T-5 problem.....

Reply #14
I found one for $400 and am working on the guy now to get him down on the $$ as far as I can.  It came out of a working car and the guy is pretty reputable on one of the boards down here so we shall see.  If I can get it I will regardless if you have the $$ or not.  T-5's do not come up that often and if something comes up and either you decide to go another route or find one up there for cheap I can either sell it or keep it as my Coupe has a T-5 and a spare is never a bad idea.

Darren