Skip to main content
Topic: Whats everyone do in their spare time other than wrench? (Read 1845 times) previous topic - next topic

Whats everyone do in their spare time other than wrench?

Just curious how people spend their time, I've given up TV for the last 5 years or so and been on the "if it doesn't interact with you or force you to think then leave it be" kick for awhile. Most of my free time is spent reading, or playing online games with my wife. But I've also found time to learn to sew, solder, program, and looking to learn another language. Also just got QH and gonna dive into that. Long term goal is to start doing upholstery on the side for fun and profit lol.

Disclaimer I don't own a TV either, which surprises a ton of people.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #1
I am remodeling the back yard slowly, I build model cars for competitions, draw every once in a while, sell car parts to make funds for the Sport, trying to think up ideas for the Sport's rebuild, fabricate intake plates, play with the tiny man (grand baby), and stuff like that.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Wish I could ditch the TV.......wife won't let me.

I've done a lot of various things....gardening, competitive indoor and 3D archery (4x state champion), benchrest shooting, sewing, cross stitch, welding, minor gunsmithing.
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #3
What is this "spare time" thing you speak of??
Brian Leavitt
86 TC 5-Speed -- MS2x w/COP | 83lb. Injectors| T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 .63AR | Full 3" Exhaust - No Cat | Motorsport FMIC | Ranger Roller |
------------------------Ported E6 | Walbro 255HP | Kirban | Pierburg EBCV @ 20psi | BOV | 120-amp 3G | K&N Cone | 8.8" 3.55 rear |
87 TC 5-Speed -- Cone Filter | Bypassed BCS | Stock Daily Driver
66 Mustang -- Pertronix Ignition Upgrade | Slow-Mobile

Reply #4
Well the TRUE spare time is toilet and facebook time. Those two go together like PB and J.

Not so much spare time I spend on weekends helping out the old man, he is getting in pretty rough shape and has about 30 to many cars. We have a small junk yard there but he can't get out to do anything with them hardly anymore. Doing my best to inherit the rust.
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

Reply #5
Quote from: BLeavitt23;414371
What is this "spare time" thing you speak of??

What he said!  We're  busy here in downtown Nokesville!

Reply #6
We ride atvs, soccar games, help friends with their toys!!

Reply #7
fly model airplanes.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
Quote from: 83TB;414375
We ride atvs, soccar games, help friends with their toys!!

Emphasize mine, you need to move up here lol. I'm the only guy out of the group I know that messes with cars.

Reply #9
I usually spent time working on all the broken  and things that need fixing around the house.  Taking care of the yard.  Kids activities and sports.

Always something needs done, whether I have the money to do it, is a different story.
Mike

Reply #10
Model rail road (I think I'm the only person under 50 who does this) and garden. Plus fix/re-model things around the house.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #11
Don't have the patience for the model railroad, have an uncle that does that, think he was more into the model terrain than the train though.

Reply #12
Well, aside from working, every time I have spare time I get a call from one of my two jobs to come in and help, it sucks really. But when I get the time,I love fishing, mudding, hunting, target shooting, playing guitar once in a while, cooking grilling especially, landscaping, and painting. As stupid as it sounds, anything physical-labor intensive. I love to work... Unless its moving, I hate moving. I'm trying to adapt fabrication and woodworking into my hobbies.

I collect sharp things, knives, swords, even an army spec can opener back when they used the little fold up jobbies.

I like racing quads, and fixing small engine type things.

You know, for a guy that has almost no spare time, I don't stay busy at all

Reply #13
I can't really say it like that but other than working on the Thunderbird I've gained a big interest in car audio and I'm building that in my Lincoln. To say the least it's a REALLY expensive and also addicting hobby! I need to quit it but it's so fun to build and seriously, who doesn't like a banging stereo system? ;)

Reply #14
I fix all my family's cars in my spare time, which is a ed shame, because I don't like it very much.  I'd rather be building PC's, gaming, playing with knives, or making stuff.  I don't think of my Thunderbird as a hobby, even though I do think of it as a project.  I wrench to live, I used to live to wrench, but now I'd rather use smaller finer tools in my hobbies.