Skip to main content
Topic: re-installing factory radio without original connectors (Read 4397 times) previous topic - next topic

re-installing factory radio without original connectors

Reply #15
Quote from: Pacerized;409344
That's me but I still haven't found a switch for a reasonable price.

No, I think there was someone that soldered some rca wires into the inside of a factory radio, or perhaps it was into the factory EQ. This was years ago.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #16
Quote from: Pacerized;409345
I'll attempt to post a picture of the eq plug below. The wiring on the stereo side of the plug matches this one in color. If you need the picture of the stereo plug let me know, I don't have the stereo out but it would just be 4 screws at this point, so no big deal.
The factory plug is considerably different the the picture you posted which I assume is the aftermarket cd plug adapted to your wiring.
The factory plug is 2 tier with 6 pin slots in both the top and bottome tiers and is color coded as follows from left to right as viewed from back of plug.
I think the orange/light blue is the power. The pink/light blue, pink/light green and black/white are speaker wires.

Top tier of plug
pink/light blue, black/white, empty slot, green, blue/black, and a black jumper wire contecting slot 2 to slot 6 on the plug which I think is the common speaker wire.
bottom tier of plug
pink/light green, empty, orange/light blue, light blue/red, white/red, purple/white.

Thanks for the picture.  Unfortunately, it isn't what I need.  My equalizer plug is still intact.  It is the two plugs that run into the radio that I mutilated back in the day.  If you don't mind loosening the radio bolts to access those, I would appreciate it.  But don't put yourself out.  The shop manual diagram SHOULD help me make sure I get all the wires into the correct plug locations.

The wired modulator is supposed to show up today, and if I can get the radio plugs correct I should have it in sometime this weekend.  After I get the chance to try it out for a few days I will let you know how it seems to be performing.  I have a little road trip coming up on Tuesday, so hopefully I can get this and the sunroof gasket in before then.  It would make the trip more enjoyable for sure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #17
Quote from: Seek;409348
No, I think there was someone that soldered some rca wires into the inside of a factory radio, or perhaps it was into the factory EQ. This was years ago.

When I was searching the board about my issue I found a post related to this, but in the one I saw, the guy wasn't doing the work himself, he had found someone on Ebay who was selling factory radios that he had modified to include a line-in wired directly inside the radio.  If anyone is interested and can't locate the thread easily, I can help hunt it down.  There were a couple links to Ebay that were expired, but they still help you find the seller.  He has a couple radios posted now, but I don't think they were exact fits for our cars.  Maybe he'd be willing to do it for you if you sent in your radio.

I also found a couple other websites that explain generally how to do this yourself.  It is probably beyond my ability since it looked like it requires soldering on a circuitboard, but that could be an option if you have some knowhow in that area.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #18
Quote from: nbzimmer;409403
When I was searching the board about my issue I found a post related to this, but in the one I saw, the guy wasn't doing the work himself, he had found someone on Ebay who was selling factory radios that he had modified to include a line-in wired directly inside the radio.  If anyone is interested and can't locate the thread easily, I can help hunt it down.  There were a couple links to Ebay that were expired, but they still help you find the seller.  He has a couple radios posted now, but I don't think they were exact fits for our cars.  Maybe he'd be willing to do it for you if you sent in your radio.

I also found a couple other websites that explain generally how to do this yourself.  It is probably beyond my ability since it looked like it requires soldering on a circuitboard, but that could be an option if you have some knowhow in that area.

I don't think it was any of that either. Someone WAS soldering directly to something inside though. The thing is, these parts are so old that even soldering to a PCB is like soldering wires together. The electronics in these things are ancient and huge. Whoever it was, they found where the signal went and either bypassed it completely, or installed a switch for choosing between radio and "aux". I'm sure I could figure it out if I had a couple spare connectors to test with. I have the radios and EQs in a bin. Premium sound is a bit complicated, but I think it'd still be fairly simple to pinpoint with the tools I have now days, and the old PCBs that are easy to follow.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #19
I hope this helps. The first picture is of plugs while attached. The second shows the underside of the plugs. I assume you're just trying to get the wiring sequence in order.
I left my stereo out for now as I'm still waiting to hear about the switch so if you need anything else let me know.
Charlie

Reply #20
Wiring order on 3 wire plug from left to right as viewed from top of plug.
black/white
pink/green
pink/blue

5 wire plug
orange/blue
orange/black
blue/black
yellow/black
green/yellow

I hope your moonroof gasket project goes quicker then mine did. A long magnetic screw driver will help and you'll have to have a small pry bar to gently lift the guide up once the roof is in vent position in order to get to one of the screws.

Reply #21
Thanks man.  That picture helped a lot.  I had the 3 wires on the plug that goes to the amplifier exactly backwards.

I had to spend most of my weekend putting in flooring in our kitchen, but I was able to get outside long enough to try everything out.  Kind of fun to get the old factory radio back in there after almost 15 years!  Until I figure out how I want to arrange everything I just spliced an old cigarette lighter plug into the modulator wires for power.

As far as audio quality, my first impression is similar to what I've heard from others.  It is better than an FM transmitter, maybe slightly better than some radio stations, but not as good as a cd player.  I think it will do the job for what I want, but if you have high expectations it might disappoint.  As I keep using it I will update if anything changes.

By the way, this FM modulator is also available from Walmart online for the same price.  It has free shipping from site-to-store (at least at my store).

I didn't even get to start on the sunroof.  Another job for for another day . . . . .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #22
Quote from: TheFoeYouKnow;409337
There will be no difference.  Where do you think Ford gets them from?  It's rebranded, repackaged, sold to the dealer for around $35 and marked up so the dealer can make a little money.  The more times you sell something as new, the more it inevitably costs in the end.  Good find on Amazon.

You are so right.  This thing is EXACTLY like the Ford one in the link you sent in every tiny detail.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #23
Quote from: nbzimmer;409578
Thanks man.  That picture helped a lot.  I had the 3 wires on the plug that goes to the amplifier exactly backwards.

I had to spend most of my weekend putting in flooring in our kitchen, but I was able to get outside long enough to try everything out.  Kind of fun to get the old factory radio back in there after almost 15 years!  Until I figure out how I want to arrange everything I just spliced an old cigarette lighter plug into the modulator wires for power.

As far as audio quality, my first impression is similar to what I've heard from others.  It is better than an FM transmitter, maybe slightly better than some radio stations, but not as good as a cd player.  I think it will do the job for what I want, but if you have high expectations it might disappoint.  As I keep using it I will update if anything changes.

By the way, this FM modulator is also available from Walmart online for the same price.  It has free shipping from site-to-store (at least at my store).

I didn't even get to start on the sunroof.  Another job for for another day . . . . .

I forgot to mention that the actual sound coming out of the speakers sounds pretty good, given the age of the system.  Where you might notice something the most is during the silence between songs, especially if you are sitting at idle.  There is a slight hiss in the background at times.  But if you are moving, I don't think you would hear it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #24
So far I've still had no luck in finding an affordable switch to make a direct line to the system. I found one for $180 in which case I'd obviously just by a new stereo first and I found the perfect one if I had a cd player but it won't tap into the tape player. The audio guy we use at my company thought he could get an inexpensive switch but if he doesn't come up with something by the beginning of the week I think I'm going to order the same transmitter you have. Could you give me an update on what you think after getting to try the transmitter while driving?

Reply #25
Sure.  I had a couple strikes against me from the start because I didn't get the new moonroof liner in, so I had to turn the volume up especially loud which made the speakers buzz a little from time to time.  Also, my factory radio had been sitting in a box for a decade, and it shows.  It is producing static when changing the volume and I probably need to get in there with some electric cleaner.  So it is hard to know sometimes which noises might be coming from the inline modulator and which might be caused by other things.  Plus, this stuff is just a matter of opinion to some extent.

Anyway, this thing is definitely not a magic bullet.  It does not send crystal clear sound from your mp3 player to the speakers.  The sound isn't bad, but it isn't top notch.  You will notice a little background hum from time to time and a little sound degradation.  And I thought that regular radio reception was possibly affected a little, even when the modulator is turned off.  This was more true for city driving than for out on the highway.

Overall I'm still happy with the purchase, but if I had to take a guess, my hunch is that you might not be satisfied with it.  It is not the same quality as a true line in.  If I had spent more on it I might be dissatisfied, but in my opinion it was still worth the money and it does what I want it to do, at least for the time being.

Hope that helps.  If I can tell you anything more about it, let me know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]