Skip to main content
Topic: 8.8 rear (Read 3979 times) previous topic - next topic

8.8 rear

Reply #15
Quote from: Aerocoupe;406738
It will bolt right in however it will be approximately 3/4" narrower on each side than the stock axle housing that came with the car. If you use an 8.8 out of a 94-98 GT Mustang it is the exact same width as the stock axle housing that came with the car. The 8.8 housing itself from 87-98 Mustangs and 87-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupes are the exact same housing. The difference in the trac widths in the Mustangs is the axles on the 94-98 cars. They are 3/4" longer on each side to compensate for the ABS exciter rings.

With that being said, you could simply remove the Fox Mustang (87-93) length axles from the $250 rear end you are going to buy and simply install SN95 Mustang (94-98) length axles in the same housing and it will be the correct width.

Brakes and bolt patterns are another topic but It has been covered here several times.

Darren

thanks i already bought the rear like a month ago. i'll just keep the axles it has (there Strange)

8.8 rear

Reply #16
I had a Fox Stang 8.8 on my Sport for awhile, looked goofy as hell with the wheels set in. If you had wheels with less offset, it might not look too bad, though.

I ended up finding a TC 8.8, yanking the disc brake parts, slapping in axles from a '97 Stang, and using my Sport's original 10" drum backing plates, and drums from an '88 Marquis. I stayed with drum brakes, mostly because I didn't want to have to buy an expensive master cylinder to be able to move the extra fluid for the newer disc brake setup, and partly I did it to see if it could be done. I've got about 90 bucks into it, and I have to space the drum out away from the backing plate about 3/16" of an inch to keep it from rubbing, other than that, it's great, it works, and to me it's less of a headache than the pesky Varga calipers, and the issues they have.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

8.8 rear

Reply #17
Spacers are cheap! Why screw around when you don't have to? I used a turbo coupe 8.8 too and did the disc conversion, ended up costing as much as a 9 inch rear would have cost! I would have gone with just spacers if I had to do it again because of all the hassle.

8.8 rear

Reply #18
You won't pass tec with wheel spacers I don't think

But you can order different bs rims so its really no big deal

8.8 rear

Reply #19
He had to space the drum out away from the axle  about 3/16" if I remember from the thread he made on the conversion.  Tech would never see the spacers as they would be in between the backing plate and the drum and not everyone races.

Ordering rims may be a big deal if you already have wheels and cannot get out of them what you paid for them.

Solve problems, don't create them.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

8.8 rear

Reply #20
Well if you really want to solve the problem he would need to get the right size rear

The answer to the problem if he wants to use that rear would to get a different bs rim and call it a day

The guy clearly drag races and I would hate to see a guy not pass tec

From what I herd some people won't let you run with them and some times you can if you have enough stud but I would think it would take a good size spacer to make it look right and there's no way to make that legal

If he wanted run spacers on the street a just get 2 rims with the right bs for the slicks

8.8 rear

Reply #21
I am not sure where you read the OP drag races and the guy who installed the spacers did not imply that either.  The gentleman who posted on the thread that does drag race did not mention anything about spacers and I am pretty sure he is aware of the rules.  Reread the entire thread and I think you will see what I mean.

Darren

8.8 rear

Reply #22
I'm simply trying to offer a simple solution to the problem

I'm sorry you disagree with just buying a different bs rim

My 2 cents

8.8 rear

Reply #23
Quote from: Aerocoupe;406885
He had to space the drum out away from the axle  about 3/16" if I remember from the thread he made on the conversion.  Tech would never see the spacers as they would be in between the backing plate and the drum and not everyone races.

Ordering rims may be a big deal if you already have wheels and cannot get out of them what you paid for them.

Solve problems, don't create them.

Darren

Darren, I wonder if he meant use the Stang width 8.8 and use spacers to put the wheels out to the "proper" place?
On the other hand, IMO, that's WAY too much spacer, and as mentioned, different offset rear wheels could negate that, but as you said, if you've already got a wheel set bought or picked out, then there might be problems with that method.

As far as MY setup...you're correct, the space would be made up inside the drum, and it wouldn't be enough to create a problem if it could be seen, as it would only be a nice flat washer on each lug stud.
I did try it with a couple of washers I found that were the same thickness, but since I only found two, I didn't risk torquing down the wheel, for fear that it might bend or warp something, and since I only found two, I still have not ever tried them, as the other side would need to be addressed also.
I need to go get 10 flat washers of the exact same thickness, mock them up, put the car on jack stands and rotate the rear to see if it the contact is overcame. Hmm, maybe I need to make a list for tomorrow..lol

But, even with the wheels off, there would be no way to tell there was a spacer of sorts there, unless tech made me pull off a brake drum. I don't plan to ever race it in a cirspoogestance that would require it anyway, unless I hit the lottery or something lol.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

8.8 rear

Reply #24
I have a 91 Camaro project going on, I have 3 different sets of wheels and I have 2 different sizes of spacers. I am not saying it is the proper way, but if you not very good or comfortable at tearing down a rear end and replacing the axles, it is a solution. Don't pile up washers unless that is just to see what bs or offset you will need, driving around like that is not safe. I see so many threads recommending in order to do things the "right way" you gotta do all this extra work and mix and match parts only to send some poor kid who knows nothing about wrenching into tearing stuff apart with no hope of getting it back together without taking it to a shop and spending money the poor kid don't have and then do the guys on the forum go and help the kid after he bit off more than he can chew, nope. Not only that the 7.5 will take some abuse if built right, there is not need to replace it if you are running a stockish 5.0, I had one with a ranger traction loc and 3.55s last for a year and half behind a  347  tbird that ran 8.70 eighth miles. Maybe I am not understanding something here, but why complicate simple things?? Fords can be the biggest pain to work on cause if you don't know what parts go in what you will have problems. I don't why I keep buyin em to be honest. Just my 2 cents

8.8 rear

Reply #25
^^ if that's Ment about me I would never use spacers etc I plan on ordering new rims anyway.  Reason for my switch is cause the 8.8 is stronger
 I plan on spraying the car with 250 off the trans break ..

8.8 rear

Reply #26
Yea new rims would be the way to go if the ones you do not look right  or rub

8.8 rear

Reply #27
Have any of you used a fox stang 8.8 and mini tubs? I was wondering if anybody has done something similar? I tried searching out mini tubs but not much came up. I guess it really would not make much of a difference as you could spec out the wheel to fit the biggest rubber possible, just was wondering if any mini tub kits are available for my 85 tc?
1985 Turbo Coupe
1988 Thunderbird Sport
1996 F150

8.8 rear

Reply #28
Pretty much anyone I know that has mini tubbed or just tubbed a Fox Bird has done is the custom route.  The Mustang inners are complete different from what I understand.

Darren

8.8 rear

Reply #29
XXXIt is not cheap tubbing a fox bird. I think I probably got the biggest tire possible on mine. You can gain a bit rolling the fender lip and cutting some edges in the inner but unless you are talented, mini tubbing is just as hard as back halfing a car.