Skip to main content
Topic: Anyone ever try and refinish or restore Turbine rims. (Read 1058 times) previous topic - next topic

Anyone ever try and refinish or restore Turbine rims.

Anyone ever tried it?  Wondering how difficult it would be? :punchballs:
Mike

Reply #1
I refinished a set of turbines from a TC. It wasn't easy because of the small holes and the fines inside them, but it wasn't terrible. A couple day project between cleaning, painting/priming, drying, and polishing. I painted the holes to match the car.

Reply #2
I always wanted to do my set like an XR7, black recesses, natural on the surface edges and lip. Only thing is, one of mine has curb rash. Guess I could sand it down though.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #3
I plan on tackling it at some point.  Prob in spring.
Mike

Reply #4
I don't think it would be too bad. Just use some aircraft stripper and get everything off the wheels. Sand the rim and tops of the fins with increasingly fine grades of sandpaper till you get them to the finish you want (polished or satin). Then mask off what you don't want painted and shoot the rest in the color of your choice. Then apply some clear coat over them and tada shiny wheels. I did the same thing to the Snowflakes on my Thunderbird, minus the clear coat part. I just polish them once a year or so even though they have a satin finish. Since I don't drive the car in snow/salt conditions it's been fine for me.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
I was wondering how yours held up since you didn't clear them. I'd rather not clear mine either. Stuff flakes and peels eventually.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #6
I've noticed that after awhile plain aluminum wheels that are clear coated tend to chip, bubble, and peal after exposure to road salt. Painted aluminum wheels don't seem to have that problem at all. My uncoated Snowflakes hold up fine because they aren't exposed to road salt. They usually only get wet when the car gets washed. Even then they get dried so I don't even have to deal with water spots.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.