Skip to main content
Topic: 1980 bird digital speedo reads 188 all the time (Read 1735 times) previous topic - next topic

1980 bird digital speedo reads 188 all the time

Reply #15
Quote from: jcassity;403946
dragon ~ did you ever link up with lumpycheeseman? he was around here for a long while, do you recall tech data on this cluster.... this info is helpful because it does tell me that the 83 shop manuals might score more info.  Not questioning Dansbirds or anything, just that the EVTM alone tells us a lot less than the shop manuals.

If i had not dug into the shop manuals a few years ago, along with other guys, we may not have known the star wars cluster or the climate control actually had button controlled diagnotices built in.
just sayin...

i missed getting to the dealership today but im sure (fact) that they have a full complement of 82 & 83 shop manuals
Nah, lumpycheeseman was long gone before I became a member, but I did happen upon his thread while searching. My speedometer read 0 at all times, so I took it apart and kinda studied it. I actually spoke to a member here, "Watchdevil". I haven't seen him around lately though. He sold me the speedometer module from an 80-82 cluster, and it worked. 2 years and 10k miles later, it's still working.
2002 Honda Civic EX

1984 Ford Thunderbird Elan
5.0 CFI, T5, Dual Exhaust

Reply #16
Sorry to be so slow to reply to you guys!  I just sent a PM to Dansbirds, would def. like to buy that cluster from him.  I have an 80 shop manual and also the 80 EVTM, but both say " replace it" and that's about all (just as one of you noted). 
Great to know you all are here, not many folks like these Box Birds!
Thank you....

Reply #17
Get with me in the next 2 days and I can get you a 80-82 cluster. There is a 1980ish cougar in the yard here. No idea if it works, but I will give it to ya for price i'd pay plus shipping. I've had good luck telling them its a "clock/guage" and they generally only charg $6.99.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com