Skip to main content
Topic: Stuff i make !!! (Read 1306 times) previous topic - next topic

Stuff i make !!!

Well by now most of you know the things i do and make. So i am sharing something with you guys that might interest some. Here goes!!!

Most of you guys know that i do a tun of T BIRDS. So that means the Turbo Coupe is something i have been working on and modifying for years. And anyone that is familiar with it's cooling system knows first hand they run TO DAM HOT!!!
So here is the FIX!!

A stock coupe fan system comes on to dam late. At APP 225* the little 4 banger is begging for mercy. They also have a nasty habit of cracking heads. So what to do??? Simple install a 180* stat. That is simple. BUT!!! What about the fans. How do we get them on sooner. Well here is what i do. I make this little fitting that i install in the heater hose coming from the Water Pump to the heater core. The 2.3 has no other place for a sensor that i have found. The sensor is from Painless and is calibrated at 195*ON and 185* OFF. Perfect for the coupe. I cut one of the nipples off this TEE fitting i stock in the shop. You have to decide which one of the ports to cut  for the application. I cut the one that leaves a 90* angle. That makes a perfect fitting for the application. Then i BRAZE in a pipe reducer and presto a place to screw in a sensor. Here it is below. Then wire it to the IRCM and the job is finished. I allows the fan to come on at 195* and OFF at 185* This cools the little ford MILL NICELY. You Can also install 2 sensors like i have on the MIDNIGHTER to control both fans and have them come on at different temps. Hope this is some thing that you might need or want other than an expensive fan controller that in my opinion is a RIP OFF!!!

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Stuff i make !!!

Reply #1
Quote from: TOM Renzo;402476
Well by now most of you know the things i do and make. So i am sharing something with you guys that might interest some. Here goes!!!

Most of you guys know that i do a tun of T BIRDS. So that means the Turbo Coupe is something i have been working on and modifying for years. And anyone that is familiar with it's cooling system knows first hand they run TO DAM HOT!!!
So here is the FIX!!

A stock coupe fan system comes on to dam late. At APP 225* the little 4 banger is begging for mercy. They also have a nasty habit of cracking heads. So what to do??? Simple install a 180* stat. That is simple. BUT!!! What about the fans. How do we get them on sooner. Well here is what i do. I make this little fitting that i install in the heater hose coming from the Water Pump to the heater core. The 2.3 has no other place for a sensor that i have found. The sensor is from Painless and is calibrated at 195*ON and 185* OFF. Perfect for the coupe. I cut one of the nipples off this TEE fitting i stock in the shop. You have to decide which one of the ports to cut  for the application. I cut the one that leaves a 90* angle. That makes a perfect fitting for the application. Then i BRAZE in a pipe reducer and presto a place to screw in a sensor. Here it is below. Then wire it to the IRCM and the job is finished. I allows the fan to come on at 195* and OFF at 185* This cools the little ford MILL NICELY. You Can also install 2 sensors like i have on the MIDNIGHTER to control both fans and have them come on at different temps. Hope this is some thing that you might need or want other than an expensive fan controller that in my opinion is a RIP OFF!!!

Thanks for sharing! :D
...and there was light!

Stuff i make !!!

Reply #2
I like that. Brilliant idea.

Stuff i make !!!

Reply #3
Thank You !!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Stuff i make !!!

Reply #4
I did something like that with my 5.0, I drilled and tapped the top of the coolant manifold that runs over the top of the intake along bank 1, and I use a 185 degree switch to fire my fan relay. I have another relay attached to my AC compressor that switches on the fan relay, and because I'm paranoid I also have a manual switch for the relay hidden in where my ash tray used to be.

Stuff i make !!!

Reply #5
"Cool" mod Tom.  I like it.
Mike

Stuff i make !!!

Reply #6
Thanks guys!!!

Stuff i make !!!

Reply #7
Perfect application for a fairly simple problem.

believe it or not, hot water heater thermostats work for power delivery to a dc fan,, you simply have place it on the radiator up near the upper hose and on the radiator tank itself.
no relay needed anymore, just a fuse for over current protection.

frankly, they are built much beefier than even the largest dc relay contactor.

no need for coolant line mods either.

comes equipped with screw terminals ready to go so you just simply intercept your fused hot lead.

just add the tstat and wire it to control power delivery to the fan, then dial in the max temp setting which is usually 170deg, some can be dialed in to 180.
may be too cool for some peoples taste though.

Stuff i make !!!

Reply #8
The switch came with 2 crimp female connectors YUCKIE!!! So i needed something neater. So i sat at my desk in my office and started thinking??? Bingo an early chevy alt connector should do it??? I knew i had some so the hunt went on in the shop to find one. After an hour of searching i found them. Here it is and it worked perfectly. Happy as a clam and over to the T BIRD for instillation. I hate messy wiring. I am known for my wiring and it's neatness.

Connector fits perfectly and all i need to do is cut off the retainer clip with a sheet rock knife to make it NEATO. Thanks

Tab cut and neat as a PIN!!!

Stuff i make !!!

Reply #9
Just for kicks here is the finished instillation if anyone is interested!!!

Stuff i make !!!

Reply #11
Actually i have the new shrink hose clamps. I had those clamps available and also the spring jobs. Nothing wrong with worm clamps. But as we speak i am making another setup using the hard line with the sensor mounted directly on the rail. This works great and the FANS come on @ 195* and OFF @ 185* I will change out the worm clamps asap. Have you ever used the shrink hose clamps??? They work great. But size availability is slim!!!

Note!!! The stock heater hoses on the 2.3 have worm back supported non marring clamps from the factory. Actually i dont think this instillation is to SHABBY !!!!

:bowdown::bowdown:

Stuff i make !!!

Reply #13
Yes i know what you mean. GM uses them and the plastic ones FAIL. The pot mettal ones also. I change a bunch of them and i dont like how bulky they are. But contact you GATES REP and have them give you a demonstration on the heat shrink clamps. They are expensive but cool. Their is a special tool to disconnect them. A lot of diesels have them and we are seeing them more and more on domestics. Thanks Tom