Skip to main content
Topic: Using a manual transmission with handcontrols (Read 17467 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Using a manual transmission with handcontrols

Reply #30
What I would ideally like to do is fine a way to activate the hydraulic clutch's master cylinder without actually moving the clutch pedal. Can that be done?
Hmmm...
Very small vacuum booster (Honda/Toyota?) somehow mounted under dash?
Hand-grip lever pulls cable, cable turns short crank, crank pushes plunger into rear of booster, booster pushes pedal (or clutch master cylinder directly, but no more pedal), master moves fluid to slave at clutch, clutch disengages. Light effort, variable movement.
Hmmmm.......
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #31
Little Help? I need someone with a T5 in their car, a bathroom scale,  and a measuring tape.

What I need is the force to push the clutch in: place the bathroom scale on the clutch pedal and push it in measuring the force in lbs as you're pushing the clutch in.

Also I need the distance the clutch pedal travels. Measure from the top of the pedal to floor with the clutch fully released and again with the pedal fully to the floor. What is the difference?

Reply #32
why not just ghetto rid up a brade cylinder from a motorcycle? I think that that would work best. I cant tell you how hard it would be though. Sorry. good luck
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #33
Quote from: thundergrowl
Little Help? I need someone with a T5 in their car, a bathroom scale,  and a measuring tape.

What I need is the force to push the clutch in: place the bathroom scale on the clutch pedal and push it in measuring the force in lbs as you're pushing the clutch in.

Also I need the distance the clutch pedal travels. Measure from the top of the pedal to floor with the clutch fully released and again with the pedal fully to the floor. What is the difference?

Since I have the car, it'd make sense for me to do it... Back shortly.

OK.. the height of the clutch pedal is 7", thickness is close to an inch so actual travel is 6 1/4". As a point of reference the brake pedal is 5 1/2" from the floor. Getting a pressure reading was kinda tough, as the scales hung up on the brake pedal. But slipping the scales onto the pedal after it is floored required 45lb of force to keep it depressed. The pressure seems pretty much equal through the complete cycle.

Reply #34
OK! here's what I know:

- 45lb of force to move 6.25"
- The hand lever I have pulls the cable about 1"
- The lever moves 2.5-3"

I'll save you the math but it works out that I'll have to pull the lever with a force of around 100lb to push the clutch in. I may have strong hands but I don't think they're quite that strong.

I'll do the math in more detail later when I'm home but for now it looks like it's back to the drawing board :(

The 5.0/AOD swap may come more sooner than later.

Reply #35
I still say you try the master cylinder thing.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #36
Yea 100lbs is gonna be tough.... I was playin' around with the scales and can squeeze them to approx 175lb using both hands. While I ain't the strongest, I'm not wimp material either.

Reply #37
Was pondering this subject while staring at the celing fan at work.

What about using something along the lines of a door popper solinoid. What is the life of one of these.

Not sure on how this would work or how to rig it up.

Reply #38
Quote from: slamedcat
Was pondering this subject while staring at the celing fan at work.
That's Great :giggle:

I'm not sure how it would work either.

I'm just waiting to get the car now. When I do get it, I'll experiment with levers for the handcontrols. If it can be done I think it would be best.

If it requires too much effort to push the clutch I may attempt to install a power booster and master cylinder from a sprint, if there's enough room for it under the hood.

If that fails, I still have a good 5.0/AOD combo just sitting in the driveway.

BTW here's a picture of the car. The sale is just about done - just waiting on a letter from Ford.

Reply #39
brake booster using vaspoogee would be perfect I think. That would be the best solution.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #40
Quote from: Haystack
brake booster using vaspoogee would be perfect I think. That would be the best solution.
Hey!, I got the idea from you...and MasterBlaster. Thanks!

Using a manual transmission with handcontrols

Reply #41
UPDATE: I've removed the handcontrols from the sport and I've gotten the clutch lever from my cousin and I have it on the handcontrols. Tomorrow I'll install it on the TC. Here's what is looks like so far.

Reply #42
master blaster brought it up first. He is such a smart ass know it all. j/k. Lets see how it fits!
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #43
Quote from: Haystack
Lets see how it fits!

OK. I have them installed minus the cables hooked up. The first pic is the graphed on HD clutch lever, second is how it's hooked up to the brake and the third is how it's attached to the steering column.

Reply #44
So whats the plan to hook up the cable to the clutch???