Skip to main content
Topic: Tbird taillight LEDs and modifications (Read 18521 times) previous topic - next topic

Tbird taillight LEDs and modifications

Reply #75
Quote from: SlowpokeRodriguez;451461
I know this is an old thread, but how'd you open the tail light housing?

The lens separates from the rear just by pulling - there are metal tabs with teeth on the rear part that grab into the plastic of the outer lens. There was something like butyl rope that was put between the two pieces to seal them, but it isn't an adhesive - only the clips hold the lens together from the factory. It's possible someone could have used silicone to re-seal the tail lights at some point, and that could make them almost impossible to open, depending on how it was applied.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #76
Amazing work!
Is this some you are willing to build on demand?
Would be excellent on my car!

Reply #77
Quote from: Thunderbird88;451487
Amazing work!
Is this some you are willing to build on demand?
Would be excellent on my car!

Too involved/time is money. One would need a large 3d-printer to make production numbers at home, and even then they wouldn't be cheap. I want to make some cnc'd aluminum shell pieces as my next experiment, but only after I get my single piece, dual LED projection, headlamp project completed (much easier than the complex tail light assemblies). We just moved and hope to build a large detached garage by next summer, and projects can resume. Machinery takes space!
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #78
Quote from: Seek;451497
Too involved/time is money. One would need a large 3d-printer to make production numbers at home, and even then they wouldn't be cheap. I want to make some cnc'd aluminum shell pieces as my next experiment, but only after I get my single piece, dual LED projection, headlamp project completed (much easier than the complex tail light assemblies). We just moved and hope to build a large detached garage by next summer, and projects can resume. Machinery takes space!

Oh alright, I understand! :)
You've been working on it for a very long time!

Reply #79
Quote from: Thunderbird88;451507
Oh alright, I understand! :)
You've been working on it for a very long time!

And using my experiences for modifications on other vehicles. Just picked up a new truck, new head, tail, and cargo light assemblies, and preparing for some custom LED work + some fiberglass fabrication for the audio system. Everything is arriving today through next Tuesday so I have a bunch of other vehicle mods to get done!
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #80
Quote from: Seek;451521
And using my experiences for modifications on other vehicles. Just picked up a new truck, new head, tail, and cargo light assemblies, and preparing for some custom LED work + some fiberglass fabrication for the audio system. Everything is arriving today through next Tuesday so I have a bunch of other vehicle mods to get done!

Then better get to work!
I'm waiting until I move back to Sweden from Korea so that I can start working on my car again.
But I also need to find a storage place I where I can work on it...