Skip to main content
Topic: You favorite battery and why? (Read 2011 times) previous topic - next topic

You favorite battery and why?

I was just wondering... I always buy the Optima red top battery because I live here in Arizona and it's the battery that I have had the most luck with. Now I'm wondering if it is worth the money to buy a yellow top because it handles more accessories (I don't have a lot) or if the marine battery would be best? I noticed in one of Tom's pictures he was using a marine battery. Optima claims that the marine battery has longer recharges and running time. Sounds like the marine battery will out last the others. I'm not really stuck on Optima batteries, but I do like the jell cell batteries. What's your favorite battery? Thanks!

Reply #1
I've always had good luck with Interstate.  The one in my T-bird is at least 8 years old and going strong.  It has been flat-lined several times and always charged right back up.  I will say I was not impressed with the factory Motorcraft battery in my wifes 2010 Fusion.  It ped out on us this summer...I guess the heat got to it.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #2
50tbrd88,
            That would be my 2nd choice. The price was less and it held up to our summer heat also.

Reply #4
Whatever starts my car is my favorite...

2007 Grand Marquis, original Motorcraft(Johnson Controls)

2003 Marauder, Super Start(Dist by Ozark Automotive Products, not sure of mfgr)

1998 Grand Marquis, Energizer(Johnson Controls) Replaced original MC in '10

1993 F-150 Lightning, Sears Diehard Gold(Johnson Controls)

1988 T-Bird, Driving Force(Johnson Controls, bad from setting)

1969 Fairlane Cobra, Super Crank(Exide)

Reply #5
Running Optima Yellow Tops in all my rides. They all have been Rock solid for around 3 years now.

Don't expect any problems outta them until they hit at least 5-7 years old. Which is more than I can say for any other battery I've ran. I usually got around 2 years tops outta the el-cheapos like Neverstart or Duralast.

Reply #7
Walmart middle of the line with best cca I can afford. Or biggest I can fit in the box.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]:ford:87 Turbo Coupe through the floor sub frame connectors, 5.8 swap Ford racing heads Harland sharp 1.6 rockers BBK shorty swap headers 2 1/2 BBk X pipe magnaflow ler's. Megasquirt 2 with 36lbs injectors on hurricane intake with 4150 throttle body.Tremec TKO 600 Quicktime blowsheild spec stage 3 clutch. 3.73 gears and still not done

Reply #8
thewestie,
              It's been a while for me... but check the price on the Interstate batteries, they do seem to be a good product and from what I remember the price was fair. Mine lasted almost as long as my Optima.

Reply #9
DEKA= familiar with thier high end 12v systems.
Motorcraft=dono, they seem to last.
Diehard= same as above

Reply #10
The best one I ever had was an 800cca diehard gold. It lasted 10 years. Probably would have lasted longer if I hadn't allowed it to sit for 6 months discharged.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #11
Next replacement will be motorcraft, i called a ford dealer, priced $10 cheaper than walmart with 5 year warranty

Reply #12
I have an interstate battery that came ith the car. It only reads 10v's fully charged, but hasn't let me down in 3 years. Sometimes doesn't always crank quick, but always starts.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #13
Quote from: haystack;399188
i have an interstate battery that came ith the car. It only reads 10v's fully charged, but hasn't let me down in 3 years. Sometimes doesn't always crank quick, but always starts.

[color="red"][size="7"]A joke right????[/size][/color]
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #14
Optima Red Tops, typically 7 years or so is what they have lasted me.  If not the Optima then the Interstate batteries is the second choice.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp