Skip to main content
Topic: 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe (Read 12032 times) previous topic - next topic

1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe

Reply #15
any car that is sought after is a money sponge :P
1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe - Black - 5 Speed - 181k Miles
1989 Chrysler LeBaron Conv - Silver - Auto - 24k Miles
1993 Thunderbird LX 5.0 HO - Silver - Auto - 72k Miles

Reply #16
Quote from: KnightHawk;398490
any car that is sought after is a money sponge :P

Quote from: MY83T;398485
all of these cars are money sponges, and we will never get back out what we put into these cars.    Its a labor of love.......

xInfinity.

Reply #17
Glad I joined this forum, the other Tbird forum was dead practically. The NATO one is the one I mean

Reply #18
from what I see, the only time nato really comes alive is when you say the words 5.0 TC

Reply #19
Ha

Reply #20
I think we can all understand that there are those purists that want to keep the remaining of unmolested TC's as high as possible.  However, to get their knickers in a twist over someone else's car is a bit over the top.  If you think about it, the owners of unmolested TC's can only benefit from those that modify their cars, since at some point they are no longer TC's at all, but more like a base 'bird in TC trim.  My TC is going to be modified, not because I dislike the 2.3 turbo, hate turbos or for any other reason than I love my TC and I want to keep her on the road for another 25 years.  If I can do that while making improvements in handling, braking and efficiency... all while increasing horsepower, drivability and yet maintain her as a modern interpretation of a TC, then I will... and sleep like a baby doing it.

When completed, I'll have a twin turbo Coyote, T56 (Viper spec) Tremec, a modified 2003-4 Cobra IRS and an Agent47 SLA setup up front. She ought to get very, very good gas mileage, yet to me will be what the designers of the original TC had in mind, if they had had the technology of today and the backing of Ford.

Reply #21
Sounds like an awesome project...

Its your car do with it as you please....  Let the polishers sit and spin.

Travis

Reply #22
People with original cars with like 25000 miles, and pristine paint jobs, probably have never put blood, sweat, and tears into that car, and to me, that is what makes your car yours, a little piece of you is lost while working on it. Plus when your paint job isn't perfect, you can drive it daily, and not worry about "OH NO, did I get a scratch???" :)

Reply #23
My 83 Thunderbird i have owned since 87 and has 123K on the clock......i decided to maintain the stock appearance and originality as so few of these cars are real survivors without heavy mods.  I would love to own a modded car done totally to my taste one day as well.  Whether the choice is to preserve or mod, that is truly a personal decision of the owner, and nobody should judge the choice.  Your money, your car, your choices.  Period.  I can understand the idea of taking a minty survivor car and modding it to be a tough choice, not because of value, but a car is only original once, and we all know how tough getting parts for Fox Birds are.  That said drive and enjoy your rides and to hell with others opinions.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

Reply #24
Before:

After:

Reply #25
New gaskets all around, spark plugs, and tomorrow new plug wires come in. Oil Change tomorrow. Once its up and running gonna bring it home and flush radiator, and give it a proper engine cleaning.