Skip to main content
Topic: Differential axial check plug (Read 1378 times) previous topic - next topic

Differential axial check plug

Well, that's what my manual calls it. Ok, I don't have one on my car. The closest I can see is a plug about half way up the rear of the housing. It seems a little low for checking fluid. So, how do I fill this one without taking the axle out and tipping on its side? Thanks!

Reply #1
Are you changing, checking or topping off the diff lube?

If changing, you all of the bolts out, but leave a few in the top to prevent the cover from falling off uncontrolably when you crack the seal.  Prying yhe cover way from the diff body in this manner keeps the mess made to a minimum.

If checking, you remove the plug and using your index finger, stick it into the hole.  The gear lube level should be at or just below the hole.

If filling, place a hose onto the "tip" of the gear lube bottle.  Stick the other end of the hose into the fill/check plug and invert the gear lube bottle.  Squeeze the bottle forcing the gear lube through the tube and into the diff.  You will use more than one bottle of the correct gear lube.  Exactly how much will greatly depend on your diff, whether it has a cooler or an extra capacity diff cover.

I hope that this helps.

Reply #2
Differential cover is off, the fluid is gone and I cleaned the gears with brake cleaner as suggested. My housing has NO check plug, other wise what you suggested would be great. Thanks!

Reply #3
I am ging by what you said, specifically:
Quote from: 86cougar;398226
The closest I can see is a plug about half way up the rear of the housing.

However, perhaps to avoid further confusion, perhaps you could post a pic or two of what you are seeing.  The diff check plug is usually just at or below the axel centerline, so the diff is never actually "full" to the top.

Reply #4
I tried putting up pics, and I tried looking for a "how to" but I need to get my friend over here to show me how. It's the only plug I see, must be it. The manual threw me off, it shows it close to the top. Thanks!

Reply #5
The 7.5 and 8.8 absolutely have a fill plug. And to my knowledge so does every final drive i would think. If for some reason you cant find the plug and or if it wont come out. You can buy a rear cover that has one. I install a plug some times in covers to increase the oil capacity. Chevy's with floaters need more fluid as they tend to starve the bearings of oil. I now install a plug extender that is a 90* street EEL to accomplish more of a fill on those axles. Fill the diff till the fluid just starts to run out the fill plug on a level surface. Or on the lift!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #6
The "check" and "fill" plug..... are the same thing.
Mike

Reply #7
Thanks i know!!!! Took me 3 seconds to figure that out. But never heard it called a check plug??? LIVE AND LEARN!!!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #8
HA!
here is what i do
shove an extension in the plug and undo with a wratchet
find a 6' long hose and transistion one end into the diff opening
now i get to stand up and dump oil into the hose
when the diff will not take anymore i slide a drip pan under the diff
remove hose
wait till the excess drools out
replace plug.

I have this tractor hydraulic fluid in a 5gal bucket and it says 85w140 or something like that.
thick as hell, thats what ive been working on for a few years now when i need rear gear oil since i dont have my tractor anymore.  I figured its good nuff for a busy rear gear for my climate.

Reply #9
Done! Now I can check this off my list.

Reply #10
I have a small hand fluid "pump". Looks like a round ballon with hoses coming out of it. You can get them at harbor freight for about $5 bucks. I use them for everything. Siphening gas out of tanks, rear end fluid, refueling model airplanes, ect. It has a small check valve in the balloon, and it will siphion once flow is established.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
Quote from: Haystack;398826
I have a small hand fluid "pump". Looks like a round ballon with hoses coming out of it. You can get them at harbor freight for about $5 bucks. I use them for everything. Siphening gas out of tanks, rear end fluid, refueling model airplanes, ect. It has a small check valve in the balloon, and it will siphion once flow is established.

yeah, ive been needing to c00ch up a couple of those, glad to see some feedback on them.
really needed one a month ago when my son put to much trans fluid in.  i was thinking the small ones you put on a drill might be better to have for things like this.

Reply #12
Well, I've done more to my car than I have ever dreamed of in the last 3 months than I have done the whole 7 years that I've owned it. Having a head full of knowledge that I get from you guy's helps, but... it seems the first time I tangle with something new, well nothing like "on the job training"! I'm glad I put a pan under the differential my first shot at it. All I did was put a transparent hose on the nose of the bottle, fit the bottle right up in the well and squeezed. Just make sure you hold that hose in place or you'll be looking like me when I crawled out (lol).