Skip to main content
Topic: Oil Leak (Read 694 times) previous topic - next topic

Oil Leak

I did quite a bit of work on my car and part of it included replacing the rear main seal, oil pan gasket and I removed the smog pump and accompanying plumbing.  I am now leaking oil a bit where the plumbing entered the back of the heads.  I know I should buy the bolts/plugs designed to close off those holes rather than using the back of the blocks that were part of the plumbing for the smog pump.  My biggest problem is an oil leak at what looks like an oil sensor in the left side of the oil tank.  Is this an easy fix or do I need to drop the entire oil pan?  Thanks in advance.

Oil Leak

Reply #1
That is the low oil level sensor.  I cant remember if you can change that gasket without dropping the pan?

Someone here will know for sure.  While I had my pan off, I replaced it with a drain plug bolt, I think it was 20mm or something like that.
Mike

Oil Leak

Reply #2
The low oil sensor is a known problem.  The sensors are still available from Ford, though a bit on the pricey side.  Another options would be  to remove the sensor, blocking off the port with the correct sized bolt (it may the be the same size as the drain plug).  Of course removal will also mean that you will have to do something about the low oil indicator, but exactly what to do with it, I leave to you.  I hope this helps.

Oil Leak

Reply #3
Is the 20 mm drain plug bolt you used the same size as the other oil pan bolts for the T-Bird?  I'm about to order some of the standard bolts but I don't want to is they're not the right size you used to cap off the sensor.  If they're not the same size, how did you find out what the right size was?  Thanks Mike.