Skip to main content
Topic: HO & SO? (Read 2817 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: HO & SO?

Reply #15
you are all set if you want to go with a mustang or a 351 then. If you go 85 or newer mustang you will need rollers and stuff but it shouldnt be to bad. Not sure about the sefi wireing and stuff. Prolly be a pain.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #16
I'll probably be looking for a straight carbureted engine.  Probably only go with fuel injection if I know someone who knows someone who really knows what they're doing.  That said I'd still rather the simplicity of a carburetor.  Thanks.
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #17
Does a 351 have any identifying marks that will make it easier to find in a syard?  I've done exhaustive research and know that various 351s can be found in Mustangs, F150s, and Broncos of various years but it's still really hard to narrow down.
1983 Thunderbird-302 HO, Holley 650 CFM 4150 DP, Weiand Stealth Intake, Dual-Snorkel Air Cleaner,  Holley Fuel Pump, Procomp HEI Distributor, B&M Holeshot 2400 Converter, Custom 2 1/4 duals with no cats and BBK shorties, Taurus Fan Conversion, FMS Grill, much more to come....

"In the future, I plan on taking more of an active role in the decisions I make" - Paris Hilton

Reply #18
If you find an EFI 351 in a truck it should say 5.8 EFI or something similar. Also I believe that 91 or 92 and later 351 blocks are roller.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #19
Quote from: thunderjet302
If you find an EFI 351 in a truck it should say 5.8 EFI or something similar. Also I believe that 91 or 92 and later 351 blocks are roller.

1994 I think.

Reply #20
Quote from: Ifixyawata
1994 I think.

Possibly LATE '93, but the block will be a F4xxxx casting. No roller 5.8s before....

Reply #21
Another quick question.  I've read somewhere in my research that 351Ms will not bolt on to my stock 4sp Overdrive transmission.  My info shows that 79 Tbirds had 351Ms, though I know 79 and 83 are quite different.  My 302 is in the same family as the 351 Windsor so I'm not antiting trouble if I find one of those.  If I do end up with an M will it really not work and if it can be modified for the application how extensive would that be?

Reply #22
I thought M's were only available in trucks.  I figured the old T-birds had Windsor plants.

Reply #23
According to this chart Ms were used in alot of different cars throughout the 70's.
http://home.earthlink.net/~bubbaf250/history/history10.html

Reply #24
Quote from: Ifixyawata
I thought M's were only available in trucks.  I figured the old T-birds had Windsor plants.

Wifes aunt had a '78 Cougar with the 351M, while my pop had a '79 with 351W power.

The 351W was introduced in '69 in Mustangs, Torinos, big Fords, and in the Cougars and Cyclones over on the Mercury side. They have since been used in virtually all mid and full size models as well as a bunch of p/u and vans. There are millions out there, so finding one should not be a problem.

Stay away from the 351M, its HUGE(almost as big as a 460) and nothing interchanges with the W.

Reply #25
M is a hard build(this from a guy that knows).
Parts are expensive and hard to find but it can be done,however i would stick with a newer(87-92)5.0L HO.
Parts are easy to find and is the best bang for the buck.
Also,your c4 will not fit the 351/400m as those engines have a bigblock bell housing(429/460)basically c6 and toplaoder 4 speed are your only options for those engs.
M's did come in many cars from the mid 70s to early 80s,almost a 10yr span.
Hears pics of my 75coug with a done up 351M.

Reply #26
Ok, this is sort of back on topic.  Would it be easier to upgrade an SO motor, or just buy/find a used HO?  Because as some of you know, I might be buying this '88 XR7 that probably has an SO in it, which I am going to use as a project car.  Also, someone told me that supposedly Explorer 302 heads work well on SO blocks--is this true?  If so would they bolt right on?