Skip to main content
Topic: Need HELP (Read 3077 times) previous topic - next topic

Need HELP

Hi all, it has been a loooong time since I have visited & I am finally getting back to 1 of my projects, so here I am.
What I need the help with is 1 of my '86 T-Birds, I got the car a year ago with no motor or tranny but I have a 5.0 & tranny from a '88 T-Bird. What I would like to do is get a few more HP's out of the motor. Money is scarce & I don't want to get crazy with it anyway.
1 other thing is I want to keep it fuel injected.
First off does anybody know what this motor has for HP when stock? I was guessing around 150 or so.
I might have the chance to pick up a '97 5.0 from an explorer, I was told it has the gt40 heads.
Would this motor help me out in any way?
Any suggestions or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Need HELP

Reply #1
the GT40 engine will help you out ALOT...  throw in an HO cam and change your valve springs and you are golden.  as far as HP numbers I am not sure.  I have heard in the 300 HP range.

Need HELP

Reply #2
my buddy has a bone stock bottom end exploder motor with the good gofast goodies like roller rockers, cam and exhaust (his is carbed and on the bottle) and hes pushing 400+ at the wheels.

If you were to do the exploder motor with a factory cam, MAF conversion and 19# injectors youre probably looking at the high side of the 200 range around 275 or so. the factory HO puts out about 225-250

Need HELP

Reply #3
Do explorer heads, intake and injectors. Leave the computer sd, run either stock stang shorties to be cheap with stock stang h-pipe, stock h.o. cam, gut the silencer for the airbox. Modify the explorer throttle body to work, and your golden. You might want to do a shift kit and converter to help the trans last and get more power out of it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Need HELP

Reply #4
I've got a 96 Explorer long block (NON-P Headed) with an HO cam and HO factory headers connected to a Mark VII h-pipe and stock dual exhaust. My setup is in the neighborhood of 265HP.  When I open the exhaust up to 2.5 inch front to back with equal length shorties, I expect to be at or near 300HP.  You can swap an HO computer and stay speed density, but you'll have to run the HO cam, but you don't want the Explorer cam anyway, it's puny.  When it comes to your AOD, I recommend transplanting the stack from a 4R70W.  It's got the Wide Ratio package, stamped steel in place of cast iron (lower rotating mass) and all roller bearings instead of a mix of bearings and bushings (lower friction).  You'll end up with a friendlier first gear, and a slightly lower second, but the best thing I found is that the governor doesn't force shifts as early.  I've also got a 3.73, so between that and my axle ratio, my WOT upshifts are as high as 6300RPM

Need HELP

Reply #5
WOW, THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL!!!
I do have a few questions though, do I buy a new HO cam? If so is there a particular year or certain specs I should get? Or do I just order an HO cam for an 88 5.o?
Am I better off with shorties or long tube headers? What brand? What about the o2 sensors?
Do I stay with the '86 T-Bird computer?
What does "gut the silencer for the airbox" mean?
I'm liking Haystacks recipe, he mentions stock stang headers & H-pipe, what year stang would I be looking to get these parts from?
Again THANKS so much to ALL! I can't wait to get even more info!

Need HELP

Reply #6
I'm reasonably certain, (but not 100% sure) that the HO cam was the same from '87 to '93...I think the SN95 Mustangs had a slightly different cam, but either way, you'd want one of those over the Explorer bumpstick, as mentioned.

I wouldn't buy one new unless you want piece of mind....HO cams all had roller lifters so really a high mileage engine (unless it was straight up abused or damaged) the cam should be excellent. I'd like to find 2 or 3 to seal up in bags with a little grease smeared on 'em just to have for a future engine. And I'm not sure off the top of my head, but a '97 Explorer 5,0 might have the P heads, no? Remember..with the P heads, you're rather limited to the headers, and what is out there isn't cheap. Stock stang shorty headers WILL work, and so will BBK 1515's, and Ford Racing DID sell 40P specific headers...I tried mocking up a set of generic 1-5/8" headers on my P heads, even with the short Accel spark plugs, 90 degree boots, and some serious cusswords there's not a chance in 7 hells of getting that set of headers on P's. Besides....BBK's are awful purty lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Need HELP

Reply #7
What is the easiest way to tell if the heads are P's or not?

Need HELP

Reply #8
4 vertical bars on each end of the head, in the corner...also, somewhere close to the the head bolt that is closest to each outer corner will be a "P" cast into the head.
non P heads have 3 vertical bars, not sure what else. Also the casting date code (example F8xxxxxx) will be a giveaway....I think 5.0 and 5.8 trucks were the only production vehicles with E7's through '96.

You can google GT40P and see some images of what to look for. Not to brag, but I pulled mine myself, and paid 63 bucks for the pair. Believe me when I tell you I'd love to go back and get several more sets...lol
'98 Explorer 5.0

Need HELP

Reply #9
A 97 Explorer MAY have P heads, the swap was a mid year change, just like the internal EGR. 98 and newer WILL have P heads and external EGR, 96 WILL NOT have P heads and will have internal EGR.  On the matter of cams, the HO cam was MOSTLY the same, as in 90 an extra 10 degrees was added to exhaust duration.  Honestly, some guys like P heads and they have one or two advantages, but I can't get past the limited availability of headers.  You will need a HO pcm, because the firing order is different, and so is injector flow volume. SO 5.0 had 14lb/hr injectors, HO had 19lb/hr injectors.  Speed density will not tolerate injectors it's not programmed to run or cams its not programmed for.  You'll want a Mark VII pcm (any) or a 87-88 Mustang PCM.  Be careful what you get though, there are rumors that some of the Mark VII pcm's have a top speed governor at 105MPH.  I can't vouch for it, but I'm sure somebody here can.

Need HELP

Reply #10
No limiter on the mark 7 that I know.  I don't think they even have a vss. 
All mark 7 are speed density.  86-92.

Travis

Need HELP

Reply #11
I will need to check over the Explorer motor to see what heads there is.
Then should I find like a 90 or so Mustang with a 5.0 HO motor to get the cam, PCM, headers & H pipe from?
Where do I go for the 19lb injectors?
THANKS again to all!!

Need HELP

Reply #13
Run a sd stang/mark 7 computer. You can add maf easy enough, but it will just slow you down some unless you want to swap cams/injectors.

Exhaust, 87-93 stang stuff should fit with minore differances. The tails are shorter, as is the mid pipe between ler and cats. You may need to clearance some for shifter linkage.

H.o.o roller cams are pretty easy to come by. Check out junkyards for 91-93 5.0 cougars/birds. You could also throw some 1.7's roller rockers on there for a bit more umph. Put new springs on the heads, trickflow and crane make spring swap kits.

4 hole explorer injectors are slightly better, but will require an adaptar for the harness.

Check out http://www.coolcats.net for a h.o. and brake upgrade information, as well as parts interchange. Come back with any questions.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Need HELP

Reply #14
honestly, for the hassle, i'd get a bbk offroad x pipe, unless you need cats for emissions. idds are, by now any stock stang h pipe is beat to shiznit...ive got the bbk x pipe...love it... less than 2 bills to my door, too.
'98 Explorer 5.0