Skip to main content
Topic: 2.3 cooling line pics (Read 1873 times) previous topic - next topic

2.3 cooling line pics

Anyone have pics of the cooling lines on the left side of the 2.3T?  I forgot to take pics and just want to make sure I get em right.  Just bought some new 90 degree hoses from NAPA for the oil cooler.

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #1
Just me could be wrong!!!!! I dont use that Cooler / Warmer or what ever FORD CALLS IT. I disconnect them all the time and use an FL1 filter.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #2
thx, I guess, doesn't really help me out though.

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #3
Is this the area you are looking for?

X
tbirdregistry.com

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #4
Quote from: lakenheath24;393087
Anyone have pics of the cooling lines on the left side of the 2.3T?  I forgot to take pics and just want to make sure I get em right.  Just bought some new 90 degree hoses from NAPA for the oil cooler.

Just a point you wasted some bucks on something that does not work. Disconnect it it is useless!!!
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #5
Posted by Paulie (TC'er # 7868) on 05-22-2011 09:41 AM:

quote:Originally posted by 5.0TurboCoupe1988:
    if you remove it, you can use the bigger FL1A type filter.

Thats what i do 5.0 Good point Thanks

Yank it off i never use them.

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #6
alright tom, Just one question from me on it, what do you do with the coolant hose coming off the lower intake after you remove the cooler?

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #7
Just like the NA motor you splice a T in the HEATER HOSE and return it their.

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #8
I will do that for the other car, but I already spent $20 on hoses.  What happens when you run a Holset and big boost though?  Plumb in an external cooler or does it even matter?

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #9
Quote from: lakenheath24;393475
I will do that for the other car, but I already spent $20 on hoses.  What happens when you run a Holset and big boost though?  Plumb in an external cooler or does it even matter?

Running a turbo with no center section cooling will raise oil tempuratures and reduce oil life. Ran the factory cooler, or an aftermarket one, and get used to changing the oil more frequently.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #10
Not only does it work as a oil cooler as mentioned before it is a warmer. In the winter time it helps tp warm the oil up quicker than without. But it is one of those things that you have to make your own call on. Just like the water hoses running to the Throttle body on a 5.0 what in the world would you want that for, cooler air is better right? Well I guess if you live someplace with really cold winters without it you can somehow freeze up the throttle body. So like I said you have to make your own call per all the cirspoogestances that are involved in your ride.

Hope this helps
Stuckman
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #11
Quote from: jangus;393480
Running a turbo with no center section cooling will raise oil tempuratures and reduce oil life. Ran the factory cooler, or an aftermarket one, and get used to changing the oil more frequently.

Wait just a minute!!!! No one said to not run center section cooling!!!! We dont use the oil cooler because it does not work. Not only on TC motors on any chevy that has headers you remove the cooler/warmer as well. If you want it it is placed in the return line on the 5/8 heater return to the water neck.

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #12
Quote from: TOM Renzo;393567
Wait just a minute!!!! No one said to not run center section cooling!!!! We dont use the oil cooler because it does not work. Not only on TC motors on any chevy that has headers you remove the cooler/warmer as well. If you want it it is placed in the return line on the 5/8 heater return to the water neck.

He asked about running a Holset turbo, 99% of them don't have center section cooling.
88 TC 5speed, 168000+ miles, stock 2.3T long block, ported RFE6 exhaust, Evergreen T3 running 15#'s.
Up next: FMIC, fresh air intake, ported intakes, ported big valve head.

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #13
OK here we go again JANGUS i have built more turbo motors than you can shake a stick at and have never had an oil to water cooler. We use oil to AIR which is a million times better at best. In my view the TC setup with the adapter is a waste of time. I am fully aware of center section cooling on a HOLESET or for that matter any water supplemented cooling form turbows. He asked hose routing on a TC setup then changed to HOLESET. Ok show me some facts on how an oil to water cooler provides adequate cooling and compare it to OIL TO AIR. Below is my turbo on my BIRD it has no center section cooling and the engine oil runs below breakdown. If you have a turbo that requires center cooling it has a double negative. It not only heats up the coolant it heats up the oil as well. Synthetics can handle any extra heat generated by the turbo. Below is my turbo on my PONCHO. Not exactly SMALL by no means

2.3 cooling line pics

Reply #14
HERE IS MY Garrett ON MY GMC it is a fairly big unit and it does not have center section cooling. As the matter of fact their is a service bulletin from GM to install a stand alone filter and remove the cooler adapters on several engines. GM recommends this for several reasons and recommends synthetics for this purpose. If you desire a cooler and they are a plus only in my view if they are OIL TO AIR. With that please post the efficiency of the oil to coolant setups other than a warmer in the winter. It is my feeling that the oil to water setup in my view is a device to heats cold oil on cold days other than an OIL cooler. Most likely i am wrong again but i gave it a SHOT ANYWAY.

Once again the filter adapter is on the 5/8 side off the heater core back to the engine. That is as simple as i can explain how it is PIPED FROM THE FACTORY.