Skip to main content
Topic: How much? (Read 3551 times) previous topic - next topic

How much?

Reply #15
I kept track of my expenses for a long time but finally realized, I don't really care to know.  I do it as a hobby as time and money allows for pure enjoyment.  It kinda takes the fun out of it if you start realizing how much money you've dumped into something, lol.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

How much?

Reply #16
Close to $15K over the years.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

How much?

Reply #17
Quote from: 50tbrd88;392838
It kinda takes the fun out of it if you start realizing how much money you've dumped into something, lol.

How true, How true

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

How much?

Reply #18
Well some people on here get kinda sentimental on the cash side wanting a really nice car. Most people wouldnt think to much about seeing a car thats all dolled up. Im glad to see some totally awesome builds go on here. The true question is would you all take every dime you spend on the car back? I sure as hell wouldnt. Like Eric, 40k in the vert, thats absolutly astonishing. Alot of blood sweat and tears have went into our cars.

It seems crazy to say but total truth, we are completly crazy about these cars and the passion we all show towards them some people would rather spend 40k on a new car. While on the other hand we spend it on sculpting and revamping a car, that to most people, would drive... blow it up... and crush it. Making a truly unique ride that, in some parts of the US and some other countries, is getting rarer and rarer to find.

Wez all crazies. And I dont know about you but Im glad I took the time to strip my car and restart from scratch and make it all mine

How much?

Reply #19
IF I did take my money back it would only go back in but different things. First time around I had to learn things the hard way since this is pretty much the first car I built by hand. 331 would be some kind of 351 stroker and or I would of swapped a stick in and left it 2.3
88 Turbocoupe: Coast High Performance 331 kit 28oz balance, Comp XE264HR14 cam, 58cc 185 afr heads, 1.7 roller rockers, Mass-Flo EFI (was POS to setup and their techline is a joke at best)
Full 1 5/8 primary equal length headers, 2 1/2 exhaust, Full manual reverse VB c4 and baked off clear coat "BECAUSE RACECAR"

How much?

Reply #20
With the headaches that my car has given in the short time it's been back and running plus the 2 years that it was down, right now I think I WOULD take the money.  I'm at a point now where I'm in the home stretch and it's become more a matter of principle. 

If I'm of the same mindset come October, look for the car in the Classifieds section here....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

How much?

Reply #21
I'd guess 5K so far, or close to it.

I spent 2 grand on car, HO, T5, Stang 8.8, and some other little bits/pieces in 2009. Have ince gotten a TC 8.8, 5 lug axles, exhaust, wheels, and god-know-what all else..sadly, most of the remaining stuff has all been junkyard finds. Some have been sold and the money put back into the Sport. See my sig for some other stuff. It adds up, but I don't regret it or sweat it. God only knows I'd spend 25K on it in 2 hours if I could..lol
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

How much?

Reply #22
Not that I ever would actually do it, but I've thought many times about how awesome I could make my car if I sold my '07 GT and used all of the money for the T-bird.  I would do a blown mod motor/ 6 speed swap, air ride, redo the interior, new paint, etc etc.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

How much?

Reply #23
2K.

40k is crazy..... lol :D
...and there was light!

How much?

Reply #24
I shudder to think.....I'm 25, and have owned 33 cars  so far (the most I paid was 1400 for my dd 93 Caddy Deville) most were little to nothing, but the money I've put into some of them, I'm sure I could have retired by now if I had saved that cash instead.......I guess that's why they say cars aren't a profitable hobby :(
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My Bebe! 1980 Thunderbird, 302 & AOD are the only option boxes checked

How much?

Reply #25
I know I paid $1000 for my T-bird ten years ago. I have all the receipts for what I've done to the car since then. I'm not going to add the cost up but it has to be over $10K......maybe more. I do know the GT40P engine rebuild was $2500, then I bought a set of Edlebrock Performers to replace the GT40Ps for $1200, the AOD with converter was $2500. Lets not get into the suspension bits, tires, or interior bits that needed to be refreshed.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

How much?

Reply #26
well i paid $8,100 for my car in 1987, and drove it for years so i don't count the daily driver years.......but since i have had it off the road and stored i have spent maybe $600 in NOS parts that i have been saving for when i re-do the car.

1983 FORD THUNDERBIRD HERITAGE 5.0
2008 SAAB 9-7X AERO 6.0 (LS2) 1 0f 554 Made
2011 FORD FLEX SEL Family Hauler

How much?

Reply #27
Quote from: 86T-bird;392783
That's an answer I'd prefer not to visit!

That's the deal with my 351W Ranger.....over the years I have a PILE of cash into that thing.  Three different motor combo's, three or four different exhaust set ups, three trannies, chassis mods, etc, etc....so I don't want to nor would I know where to begin with adding up the costs!!!  With the 'bird, it's nice to say that for just over $3K I have one helluva nice driver that has everything in working order and will click off 13 second passes (well, 14.05 but tonight should get me into the 13's!!).
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

How much?

Reply #28
well the Mistress cost me $600 im just getting started tearing her down. so depend on how much time i spend on her will depend on adding the cost of a divorce or not. sad part is the car is in my wifes name lol

How much?

Reply #29
Quote from: EricCoolCats;392777
$40K in the convertible.
Less than $3K in the '84.

Those are including the purchase prices.

I have no explanation. LOL

40K over how many years? You won't find another one like it. Let alone even close to it, maybe Jerry in a few years.
Old Grey Cat to this.88 Cat, 5.0 HO, CW mounts, mass air, CI custom cam, afr165's, Tmoss worked cobra intake, BBK shorty's,off road h pipe, magnaflow ex. T-5,spec stage 2 clutch, 8.8 373 TC trac loc, che ajustables with bullits on the rear. 11" brakes up front. +