Skip to main content
Topic: Leaking Fuel Injectors (Read 3128 times) previous topic - next topic

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Ok I have been having a hard start problem and I have tracked it down to 3 leaking fuel injectors. The one in the very front I never leaks. But the back 3 leak. Some times they don't sometimes they do. I have replaced all 3 with no change. So I'm thinking its a electric problem. Any idea where to start.

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #1
Are you saying the body of the injector is  leaking?  As in, outside the engine?
Mike

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #2
Sorry I should have been more clear. The fuel is in the cylinder. I pull the spark plug out and the end of them is wet. It only happens on 2,3, and 4. 1 Always stays dry.

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #3
bump

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #4
I think if they are leaking, they have to be replaced with "known" good ones.

I cant imagine its an electrical prob.  Could the hard start be ignition related?  When are you checking the plugs?
Mike

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #5
Have you run codes?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #6
Are you sure it is gas on the plugs?
I can't see three intakes being open at the same time.

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #7
OK yes they where replaced with "known good injectors". Yes codes where checked and there are none. And yes it is gas. 3 intakes don't have to be open at the same time. The fuel could pool up and dump in to the cylinder when you try to crank it. And the problem is interment. It will do it for a while and then there will be no problems and then it will happen again.

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #8
What are the cindition of the grounding pins, resistance wise, for the harness?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #9
Also, not sure if the 2.3 has the "salt pepper" connectors or not, but clean up and check the condition of all connectors, clean contact pins, ect.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #10
Quote from: jonwayne1988;392335
Yes codes where checked and there are none.

Does that mean you got code 11 or no code at all?

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #11
Ok being that the injectors are paired group fire. I find it interesting that 3 are leaking. That would rule out at least one group if it was an electrical issue. But just maybe the dry one is the one with the issue. Strange??? I would clean the injectors and start over. Is the engine running rich?? I assume it is and is it blowing black smoke when the issue occurs. Also when it runs OK are the injectors wet at this point. And how do you know when this happens. I would think a hard start and or black smoke after start. Need more info. But it is in my view extremely hard to figure an electrical issue because of the group injectors. I would check the regulator and the fuel pressure for proper operation. Also you might want to swap an injector with number one. This way if the dry injector moves the other 3 have issues. So if 1&2 are swapped and one runs dry the issue is not the injector. I had a GM engine with a MISS fire. When we disconnected the alt battery lead it cleared up. That was a real complicated trouble. But you will have to check a few things and RE-POST. Also make sure the pressure reg is not blown. Check the vacuum hose for fuel. And or run the engine with the vacuum hose disconnected. I think i might have an answer to this. So try swapping and disconnecting the regulator and post back.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #12
I always thought the 2.3 cars were sefi, unlike the "sefi" 5.0's.
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #13
no, 2.3 is bank fire on pins 58 and 59 just like the CFI. The 88 3.8L also bonds three injectors to one EEC pin.
2.3 is not sefi or batch fire.

Leaking Fuel Injectors

Reply #14
83 were green top e3ze-ba bosch 30lb/hr 2.40ohm injectors
84 were green top e4ze-aa ddk 30lb/hr 2.35ohm injectors
85 were brown top e5ze-aa ddk 35lb/hr 2.35ohm injectors
86 were brown top e5ze-ab ddk 35lb/hr 2.35ohm injectors

see the issue?

actually the CFI 3.8L might actually be an upgade
3.8L cfi got green top e3ve-a1a or e3ve-A1b Bosch 37lb/hr 2.25 ohm and 2.00 ohm injectors respectively

I never really noticed this until now but the 3.8L CFI injectors are plentyful. 

Turbocoupe50 (the other tom) would correct me if im out of line on this but id really dont see the issue using the 3.8L inj on the 2.3.

Check your injectors application (pn), color means nothing anymore.
this doesnt answer the problem though as to why the same 3 cyl are intermittant dumping of fuel.
never really knew how to take the injectors apart, i do see up on the plastic top there appears to be a divit, perhaps a pin that can be poped out? separates the solenoid?

odd problem for sure

my guess is something like haystack
when you shut off your car, there is  a time delay to when the eec relay turns off.  during this time depending on the distributors position, there may be power applied to the same three injectors with a somewhat simulated ground being supplied to the injector (typically the job of the eec anyway. without having the car here, hard to speculate but im guessing the jury isnt really out on an electrical source to the issue.
you should at the least have a rich code cause the eec would record such an event, otherwise its truley a hard mechanical fault and i have no idea why after swapping in other injectors the same 3 do the same thing.