Skip to main content
Topic: Transmission cooler lines (Read 3695 times) previous topic - next topic

Transmission cooler lines

Reply #15
I had the trans cooler lines rust through and fail on my 88 TC. Trying to remake the lines in one piece and replace them with the motor installed in my garage was completely out of the realm of possibility. I had to cut them in pieces just to get them out.  I went to NAPA and replaced all the lines with their rubber transmission lines and barbed fittings on the ends. Worked great. Just make sure you get hoses made for transmission fluids. If you are going to patch the existing, per Tom's recommendation, I would definitely bulb the line where you are going to splice it.

Reply #16
Quote from: QUICKSHIFT;410758
Excellent post Tom. The only thing I would add is to make sure it's a 6 point socket.......less chance of rounding it off.....you only get one chance.

Thanks i thought that was a GIVEN. Forgot to say 6 Point. Thanks for correcting my post. Basically i really do not use to many 12 pointers. I have them but normally i use the 6 jobs. thanks Tom
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #17
A good set of grooved plies works well if your replacing the fittings too.

I like my irwin channel locks for stuff like that, and holding rounded off or rusted bolts, like you'd find on an exhaust bolt.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com