Skip to main content
Topic: What do ya think of this combo? (Read 1584 times) previous topic - next topic

What do ya think of this combo?

My buddy and I are sick and tired of the POS 2.5 CFI 80HP motor that came in his 86 Pontiac Fiero. So Ripped it out and were gonna drop in a 3.1from a 91 Grandprix with the full compter and harness. The car is a 5spd. Any how here are some pics of what we've done. We think this thing should actally move for once. What do you think.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Re: What do ya think of this combo?

Reply #1
spiffy. Does the transmission match up.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #2
I think if you're gonna go that far, go all the way: http://www.v8archie.com/  :evilgrin:  :D
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #3
Caddy 4.9 is the best swap out there. If I had a fiero thats what I would do.
One 88

Reply #4
So a caddy engine vs. this one?

Reply #5
http://www.fieroaddiction.com/caddy49b.html

Try finding a LT1 engine at your local U-Wrench it.  Every time I got to the local junkyards there is a 4.9 caddy there.  LT1's are so cool ... err not cool.  ah (cougarse) runs back to closet--->....

In all honesty though those engines are pretty nice.  They run an 11.0-1 compression ratio factory.
One 88

Reply #6
3.1 aint a bad little motor and if you can find a 91 or 92 Grand Prix, some had the 3.1 with a supercharger from the factory.  If I recall correctly, the blocks and pistons are identical.  Heads, intake, computer fuel injectors and of course the supercharger are the differences.  This info is from a guy I used to know in Jersey who was a major Grand Prix buff.  I'm pretty confident his info was on the mark.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #7
Excellent! the 3.1 will be a nice swap, pretty simple and will really kick up the performance.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #8
Yep we know it will bolt up.  We'ed slap a v8 in there but it would munch that tranny. As far as the Grand prix I found some info on a 89-90 3.1 turbo. We also have looked at the super charged setup but think we'll stick with what we got for now.
84 Turbo coupe 2.3T Modded with 88 upper and lower intake, 88 injectors, E6 manifold, T3-4 AR.60 turbo, 31X12X3 FMIC, Homemade MBC , Greddy knock off BPV.
4 eyes see better than 2! 
Da Bird!

FreeBird

Reply #9
Quote from: ipsd
We'd slap a v8 in there but it would munch that tranny.

Um, not quite. Upgrade the clutch to a performance piece and it'll be fine. It's the automatics that have a slight problem handling the v8. But a bit of beefing up and those are fine as well.

Reply #10
Quote from: Paul Flockhart
3.1 aint a bad little motor and if you can find a 91 or 92 Grand Prix, some had the 3.1 with a supercharger from the factory.  If I recall correctly, the blocks and pistons are identical.  Heads, intake, computer fuel injectors and of course the supercharger are the differences.  This info is from a guy I used to know in Jersey who was a major Grand Prix buff.  I'm pretty confident his info was on the mark.

I agree if you can find a 2.3 ho quad four they are pretty good, My friend and i ran his Grandam gt and the cougar, he stayed with me into third.

Reply #11
My stepson has a 91 tempest with a 3.1 and a 5 speed Muncie/Getrag. Pretty fast car. I can imagine what it'll do in a fiero which I assume to be much lighter.

I found a lot of info about the 3.1 on this page. Some ricey stuff there though.

Reply #12
3.1 didn't come with superchargers if I recall.  the 3.8's did.
One 88

Reply #13
Like I said....second hand info, but he did know his stuff......
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #14
Quote from: CougarSE
3.1 didn't come with superchargers if I recall.  the 3.8's did.

Were the first Gen GTP's 3.8's though?

I found a turbo Grand Prix 3.1 from the factory, though. I didn't even know they existed. Now THAT would be fun in a Fiero.