Skip to main content
Topic: Sticky pedal (Read 2729 times) previous topic - next topic

Sticky pedal

Anyone have this happen to them? The gas pedal gets stuck all the way down and wont come back up. That just happened to me, so I ran a stop sign. Thank God the guy standing there understood I was in trouble and didn't move. This happens but also it seems like I always have to have my foot on the pedal or speed drops constantly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sticky pedal

Reply #1
I had that happen one time in our 87 TC.  I parked the car asap and didnt move again until I figured out why it happened.  I dont remember the exact cause but make sure the linkage/spring isnt gummed up or coming in contact with anything.

Sticky pedal

Reply #2
Yeah I'll check that out, have you also had it basically gradually loose power once you take your foot of the pedal?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sticky pedal

Reply #3
I have been having trouble with my floor mat riding forward until the leading edge where its cut to go around the pedal gets to where the pedal is.  at that point, I'll floor it for some ricer kid, or just to jerk myself off a little and it will get stuck down.  I panic for a second, then I reach down and pull the mat back and it's all good again.  Our factory driver's floor mats don't have the hook or pin retainer that the newer cars have, I wish mine did, so I wouldn't have had to take the mat out.

Sticky pedal

Reply #5
Its more likely your throttle cable is "dry" and needs to be replaced. With how many times that cable moves its suprising how little its changed. I only changed mine due to a new intake setup but I was pleasently suprised when the petal was no longer stiff feeling.

Sticky pedal

Reply #6
whereabouts can you find a new throttle cable for these cars?

Sticky pedal

Reply #7
I just shimmed mine. It's almost a guarantee that if you haven't changed your cable or done something to move it up, its stretched. A lot. If you pull your pedal by hand towards the seat, you can see how far out it is. It should be just a little lower than the brake pedal when it's tight. get on your back and look at the top where the cable comes through the top of the pedal and figure out how much you need to shim it and then find something to take up the slack. I used t-splice connectors for 16 wiring. Makes a hell of a difference. As far as it getting stuck, make sure there's nothing blocking your throttle blade inside your throttle body that could cause it to get stuck open.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Sticky pedal

Reply #8
I have to check it out, thing is it has never done this before.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sticky pedal

Reply #9
Quote from: beast50;391018
whereabouts can you find a new throttle cable for these cars?

I would like to know this as well.
Mike

Sticky pedal

Reply #10
Just order a trottle cable for a mustang. Firewall forwards and even the pedals should be the same.

I kinked my gas pedal doing an intake swap, and I have also had the tv cable stick. I also once found a small hose clamp holding the tv cable in place work loose, and would sometimes catch the throttle return spring bracket.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Sticky pedal

Reply #11
Quote from: Haystack;391129
Just order a trottle cable for a mustang. Firewall forwards and even the pedals should be the same.

I kinked my gas pedal doing an intake swap, and I have also had the tv cable stick. I also once found a small hose clamp holding the tv cable in place work loose, and would sometimes catch the throttle return spring bracket.

I'm pretty sure the 3.8's use different cables than the mustangs/5.0's do. I know for a fact the trans kickdown cable is different.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Sticky pedal

Reply #12
Didn't even think of that. I was soon to be 302/351 in the sig.

I wonder if a 94 up 3.8 cable would work?

The pedals will bolt in, and the engine/trans layout should be the same.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Sticky pedal

Reply #13
No one has the ford part number for the Cougar cable?  I scoured all over coolcats.

I couldnt even find one listed on the ford parts websites.
Mike

Sticky pedal

Reply #14
Quote from: mcb82gt;391153
No one has the ford part number for the Cougar cable?  I scoured all over coolcats.

I couldnt even find one listed on the ford parts websites.

Year and engine, please, I'll ask about it in my parts dept.  If I know where you live, I may be able to tell you if anyone near you has one.