Skip to main content
Topic: Carroll Shelby dies (Read 3056 times) previous topic - next topic

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #15
Carrol Shelby....I was ok with most of his creations....even the turbododge ones.  That shelby car he built a few years ago powered by the 4.0l cut down of the northstar didnt sit well with me....even after they added a supercharger.  Wasnt worth the money IMHO.

Travis

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #16
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;389814
You're just jealous cause your Cougars will never be worth more than 2% of a AC Cobra...

I don't have a jealous bone in my body, Tom. Sad that you think I do.

I couldn't really care less about car worth, but while we're on the subject, one of mine is appraised at more than all of yours put together.
g matches don't get anyone anywhere.

ThunderbirdSport302, that's exactly what I've been saying for years. I remember all the lawsuits starting with Factory5 and thinking how hypocritical CS was.
Any reverence I had for him went out the door once those lawsuits started.

I also know someone that had a 2006 Mustang Cobra (the REAL name of the car!) taken out to CS' place in Vegas to have the full Shelby conversion. It's a less-than-stellar job.
Lots and lots of small mistakes everywhere on the car (crooked stripes being the one that catches the eye right away).
Guess having CS' name on it didn't really mean the quality was there. The price tag sure was.

Sadly, the same guy's Twister package Mustang has much better quality...

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #17
You guys are crazy...... He is a racing legend and an American legend/icon. He gave soooo much of his money to different foundations and especially his own to help kids. If you dont like him, You dont like America. GO live in France...
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #18
His cobras cost a lot because they are AMAZING!!!!! oh yeah and because they won Le mans....
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #19
Quote from: SR71blackbird;389881
You guys are crazy...... He is a racing legend and an American legend/icon. He gave soooo much of his money to different foundations and especially his own to help kids. If you dont like him, You dont like America. GO live in France...

Quote from: SR71blackbird;389881
His cobras cost a lot because they are AMAZING!!!!! oh yeah and because they won Le mans....

Nahhh, I'm a little eccentric, but not crazy. Yeah, he WAS a racing legend, I do agree with that. He did have some charitable contributions...but ask yourself...did they come before or AFTER his heart transplant? And if I don't like his suit-happy, VIN-scandalizing, overpriced-roadster mentality then I'm un-American? You're crazy AND shallow....

And, newsflash here, Gomer Pyle; you can build a Factory Five replica for a fraction of what ole Chicken Farmer's shiznit costs, and apart from a title, and a VIN, it's pretty ed much the same thing.

Guess you need to find someone's nuts to swing on who puts the cars before the money. Hmmmm...
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #20
Quote from: EricCoolCats;389871
I don't have a jealous bone in my body, Tom. Sad that you think I do.

I couldn't really care less about car worth, but while we're on the subject, one of mine is appraised at more than all of yours put together.
g matches don't get anyone anywhere.

OK if you wanna go there, appraisals don't mean squat if there isn't a buyer at that price... No my Fox T-Bird ain't worth  and never will be, it's why I chose it to modify...

I have my original '69 Fairlane Cobra insured at $24K and could easily sell it for that... Unless you're talking Barret-Jackson or similar, I don't see any Fox Cougar selling for more than $20K and that's still a BIG maybe... I've seen Cobra Fairlanes sell at B-J for $46K that weren't as nice as mine... Sooo lesee I have the Cobra, a Supercharged Marauder, the 1st gen Lightning, ummm you can "think" your stuff is worth more than mine but we'll never agree on that...

As far as Shelby you kiddies can think what you want... After beating Ferrari in '66 & '67 with Ford backing and the cars again winning again as independents in '68 & '69, he was no doubt the man... Yeah things like that mean a lot to us old guys, was a big deal back in my HS days...

No doubt some of those law suits were more than a little questionable, and do tarnish his image but AFAIC, he's still the man...

So how many charitable contributors for reasons other than they were helped by the charity, contribute to those particular charities prior??? How many of you contribute anything to a charitable organization???

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #21
Cool more controversy, this thread ought to blow up to couple hundred replies in no time! :D

Have a good day! :D
...and there was light!

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #22
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;389917
How many of you contribute anything to a charitable organization???

The county's Humane Society. American Red Cross. Salvation Army. Toys for Tots. And numerous local charities that benefit people who've lost a home, a family member, a child, etc.
That's just a few, there are more, but I've made my point with this..

It's not the amount or to whom I'm worried about, indeed, if I had a lot of money to flaunt, I'd also have a lot of money to donate to people who are less fortunate.

With that said...I got respect for a guy taking a dinosaur of an engine, throwing it in a lightweight British touring car, and mopping the world's best with it. But I sure as hell wouldn't pay a million for a an "original" Cobra, when I could buy and build an FFR or Kirkham, or (insert name here) for a fraction of that. Same thing with the old Shelby Mustangs. They're nice, worth a lot. I'd love a '68 GT500KR, but even if I had that kind of money, doubtful I'd pay what it would cost to acquire one.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #23
But the cost of an original cobra is not reflected on Carroll... It is reflective of the buyers market...
I am sure any car company would sue if some one started to replicate their vehicles and putting the same name on it. something somewhat similar for example is when Ferrari sued a guy who made conversions for Fiero that looked too much like a Ferrari 308!

BTW Turbocoupe50 and EricCoolcats, If i wanted to hear an argument like that I could go to my moms 1st grade class and ask who has the most expensive pencil and get the same reactions as you too... You guys are both way older than me but even i know that is very petty talk... Jeepers creepers...

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #24
LOL I started nothing. Just gave an opinion on Shelby. Did I ask for someone to jump down my throat? Reread the thread and see right where that happened. Bet it's post #14.

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #25
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;389814
You're just jealous cause your Cougars will never be worth more than 2% of a AC Cobra...

Cmonnnnnn why ya gotta be such a Buzz Killington?

And you don't KNOOOOOW that! If this was 1970 and we were talking about '57 Chevy convertibles, it would be the same state of things. Just an old used car past its prime. Only time will tell......;)

And as far as Shelby goes...what's important to look at is what he and John DeLorean each did in their respective places. They challenged the status quo, calling it absurd, while it called them MORE absurd. Common sense now, but for some reason (probably not so arbitrary but I haven't read enough) the management mentality of the Big Three was "big engines for big cars". Wow. People will buy a fast smaller car!!!??? Yup let's all jump on the bandwagon....

It's a hard line to walk, to be in the business of making huge profits off of something you love, that you started out doing because it ran in your blood. Now you can't resist the allure of the world your money opens up to you, and you want want want. So you expand your business as much as possible, any way you can. The people that knew you when you did it only for the satisfaction of your creativity being appreciated and building something YOU envisioned now smear your name for falling victim to the material fruits of that labor and losing sight of the valiant "cause" you worked for. It's happened so many times, with so many public idols. A select few "don't forget their roots". Not a defense of the man's ways, or those that do this kind of thing, but a rationalization.
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #26
EricCoolCats, that is finger pointing. Again, something else my moms 1st grade class would do. LOL. I know where it originated but come on.
ZondaC12, He did put his name out there a lot but then again, who wouldn't.... Plus a good sum of the money he made to "Smear" his name, helped out a lot of people. Are you honestly saying you WOULDN'T smear your name for money that would help people that really need it? I may be an idiot in your book then and that is okay, but at least id be a nice person and give. Yeah, not all the money went to help people, but he is/was running a business where people need to be paid.

Carroll Shelby dies

Reply #27
What I'm saying is that your fans (people lambasting him for "slapping his name on XXXXX") disown you because in their eyes you care about profits only and have lost the original spirit that drove you to start what you started. And I think anyone would agree he didn't just see $ signs in his eyes back in the early '60s. But it became that because that's just what we do...can't help ourselves.

I forgot to say as far as the Shelby Daytonas and Omnis of the '80s, I know some people that are pretty nostalgic toward those. And in that decade, performance was still around the corner, those things were probably as much the cat's ass in speed as Thundercats were in the looks department. Maybe he was a hero then too, ushering Chrysler to follow Buick into the frenzy of small turbo engines? LOL
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane