Skip to main content
Topic: door doesn't close right (Read 2333 times) previous topic - next topic

door doesn't close right

So how can I fix this, the driver side door looks open but it's not. It doesn't rattle at all and I can push it in to where it needs to be.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

door doesn't close right

Reply #1
pics?  Can you pull up on the door when its open?  You may need to replace the hinge pins is all.  Check the striker for signs of wear.

door doesn't close right

Reply #2
Quote from: lakenheath24;388287
pics?  Can you pull up on the door when its open?  You may need to replace the hinge pins is all.  Check the striker for signs of wear.

I cant move the door up, no door sagging. The striker looks in good shape for both sides. Is there a bushing that goes on the striker to allow for a tighter fit?

pics in a bit
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

door doesn't close right

Reply #3
Yes, a gray plastic bushing.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

door doesn't close right

Reply #4
you can buy new striker posts almost anywhere
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

door doesn't close right

Reply #5
I ended up grabbing a few from a couple of Lincolns at the boneyard.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

door doesn't close right

Reply #6
They look like this.............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dorman-Help-38445-Door-Striker-Bolt-/290703235463?fits=Model:Thunderbird&hash=item43af435987&item=290703235463&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

door doesn't close right

Reply #7
ours have the metal tab behind the post though
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Join us on Facebook

door doesn't close right

Reply #8
What are you talking about Jerry? The one I posted has that tab.

Pay no attention to the "edit" note at the bottom.

door doesn't close right

Reply #9
lol.... never mind then. I must be seeing things
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/COLOR]
Join us on Facebook

door doesn't close right

Reply #10
Here's a pic, and thanks for confirming about the bushing on the striker. I'll go visit a local pick a part to see if I can find a good used one. :D
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

door doesn't close right

Reply #11
Quote from: daminc;388310
lol.... never mind then. I must be seeing things

That's right you are !!! LOL. LOL.

door doesn't close right

Reply #12
They are on late 90's Lincolns, Crown Vics...... That'll take out the slop. Just look at yours prior to getting one to make sure they are the same. I grabbed a few since the yard owner I go to rarely charges me for little tiny parts like that.

door doesn't close right

Reply #13
I'll check my rolling toolbox tomorrow. If I can find where I have my extras, I can send you one. All I need is your mailing info.

door doesn't close right

Reply #14
AutoZone and advance have them for like $8.
...and there was light!