Skip to main content
Topic: Spare tires (Read 4765 times) previous topic - next topic

Spare tires

Reply #15
Quote from: T-BirdX3;385477
...there is always that chance of having a flat where there is no open tire shop or they don't have your size in stock........

and if you're running stock size tires, (and I know you're not, but I'm just saying) that is ALWAYS the case. unless its a pep boys or walmart. But GFL trying to find a used 225.60.15 ANYWHERE. Much less in a half decent shape.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Spare tires

Reply #17
I bought a 17x9 whel that matches mine on the Sport for .99 cents plus shipping on ebay. It's chrome instead of the polished and anthracite, but, good for a spare. In town, I never carry a spare (small town). On trips, I carry the full size. never know what can happen, and I really don't trust my 24 year old donut spare to get me down the interstate an hour or two away, plus, highway speeds aren't safe for the tiny spares.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Spare tires

Reply #18
I have driven 15k on my wagon without a spare. My thunderbird I put 40k on, I went through 4 spare tires. Its just luck of the draw.z I am gernally not very luck.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Spare tires

Reply #19
I might be making a cross country road trip in the stang this summer.

I'm taking a full size spare no matter anyone's opinion!

Not worth the safety risk, or the risk of being stranded because of a pos donut spare!.

Spare tires

Reply #20
I've never had a problem with a mini spare, or really known anyone who has. I did have to air mine up some on the old 86. Guess after 20 years the lose some air.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Spare tires

Reply #21
I wouldn't be so concerned if I were by myself, but with my family with me, why take chances? Space saver spares are not meant to go 70 MPH or higher on the interstate. As I stated before, why wouldn't a person carry a full size spare on trips just to be safe. Also, how many times have we heard right here on the forum about people selling original tires that are 20 years old and everyone chimes in about how although a tire looks great, the 25 year old status of the tires say that could be dangerous, yet, people are more than willing to use a 25 year old space saver spare? I will admit I am probably not THE most safety geared person here, but like I said above, why take chances, especially if you have family with you?

In town, there isn't a spare in the car. No matter where I am in town, I'm no more than 4 miles from the house, and I cna handle it. Outside of town, no way.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Spare tires

Reply #22
We have AAA.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Spare tires

Reply #23
We got a flat in one of the Cougars once and the donut spare had air and looked fine.  It was flat within a few miles too.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Spare tires

Reply #24
I don't have AAA, but I do have Vinnietbird road side service. Lifetime free membership. They've never let me down yet.

Spare tires

Reply #25
Quote from: vinnietbird;385689
I wouldn't be so concerned if I were by myself, but with my family with me, why take chances? Space saver spares are not meant to go 70 MPH or higher on the interstate.

That's why you drive in the slow lane at 50
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Spare tires

Reply #26
Quote from: sarjxxx;385729

Yep.  The point is to just get you to the next town.  Most of the time on power tour they use two lanes anyway.  50 should not be too much of a problem.  It's all part of the adventure of power tour.  If you get a flat or have problems, multiple tour partints will stop to help you out.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Spare tires

Reply #27
Quote from: sarjxxx;385729

The Sport never drives in the slow lane at 50.

Spare tires

Reply #28
Quote from: vinnietbird;385758

Good point...lol.
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Spare tires

Reply #29
Quote from: vinnietbird;385758

You should put the mini spare on and roast it to the rim. I want a video of it. :beatyoass:

lmao now I'm actually thinking of going and getting and extra just to do that to it :rollin:
--Steve
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L