Skip to main content
Topic: Simple performance mods (Read 2600 times) previous topic - next topic

Simple performance mods

So I'm wanting to increase the hp of my 87 TC, but I don't want to jeopardize at the same time. Here is a list of a couple things I was considering.

1) Stinger 3" exhaust. I've already researched the exhaust and Shannon says it fits and the car gets another appx. 40rwhp. I've also heard things like the car will get an extra 3-5mpg? Also, for people who have done the 3" tailpipe, was it easy to get the tailpipe over the axle? I probably need new hangers too so if anyone has an idea on a good hanger to use.

2) CAI. Is it worth the $ and time to get one of these installed? What's the difference?

3) Fuel pump. I've heard of the 190HP and 255HP pumps, but for what I mentioned above what is the better one for power and gas mileage? I figure a stronger pump will kill some mpg but I just want to keep it around at least 20. I also know a stronger pump means stock injectors may/may not keep up with the pump and I am not wanting to replace fuel injectors right now. Any insight on that is much appreciated b/c I don't know too much about fuel pumps.

Thank you very much for your input!!
1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe ~ STOCK

Simple performance mods

Reply #1
What transmission is in the TC?

1) A 3" exhaust will definitely add some power, although I don't now if 40 is quite right.  I have a Stinger 3" downpipe and it fits great, although I dump mine in front of the rear tire so I can't comment on the tail pipe.

2) I wouldn't bother with a CAI but putting a large cone filter directly on the VAM is worth some power and cheaper!  You will also be able to hear the turbo MUCH better.  I couldn't even hear the turbo on my 87 until I did this.  I have a Spectre brand that I bought at Autozone for about 20 bucks.

3) A fuel pump upgrade is good insurance.  The stock one is barely adequate for stock so if you are going to be adding power (especially if you are upping the boost) you should get one.  The prices don't vary much between a 190 and a 255 so you might as well go with the 255 to have some growing room.  It won't hurt your mileage unless you get an AFPR and up the base fuel pressure.  Your stock 35lb injectors should be good for most light to moderate mods you do. 

4) I know you didn't ask a fourth question but if you are looking for more power, you should look into more boost.  This can be cheap and will give you great power gains.  I personally use a Gillis boost valve for this.  Also, make sure the car is running in top shape before doing this stuff.

Feel free to make an introduction thread and post pics of your car!
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

Simple performance mods

Reply #2
Here is a great start.

http://www.turbotbird.com/techinfo/Mods/Mods01.htm

I am running the Stinger single 3in on one of mine, the 3inch is a huge improvement over stock. But for the rest of my birds I will probably take them to the local exhaust shop, I feel like they will do a much better job of fitment. Others have been very happy with Stingers, I just found it all hung down to low for my liking, especially right behind the rear axle.

For the fuel pump just go for the 255HP and be done with it. That way you know you have more than enough fuel pressure for whatever your future upgrades will be. The fuel pump won't effect fuel economy, you driving it harder will though! :D

Edit: P.s. Welcome to the board!

LoadedIroc you are quick! lol
...and there was light!

Simple performance mods

Reply #3
2) I'll have to try that! shouldn't be too hard?

3) What is an AFPR? I will go for the 255 then! I did a in-tank fuel pump replace on my 83, I assume it'll be same on the 87?

4) I don't want to go beyond 15psi on my turbo just because I want to preserve it. Will gillis make it push out 15 through all gears

I should mention I have the T5. Also, I'll get some photos up tomorrow after my school finals!

Simple performance mods

Reply #4
So you're saying it'd probably be best to skip stinger and settle for what a shop offers? I don't want to buy stinger and have a shop install it, I know others who can help me install for really cheap compared to a shop. If I go to a shop, one offered 2.25" max and maybe i could squeeze 2.5" out of another shop. I'm dumping $500-$600 into an exhaust so I don't want to screw anything up! haha!

I'll go for the 255hp!

Simple performance mods

Reply #5
AFPR = Aftermarket Fuel Pressure Regulator

The '87 fuel pump in the tank. I do not know anything about the '83s though.

The Gillis will allow you to set the boost pressure to whatever you want it to be and it will completely bypass the factory boost controller. So yes it will let you run 15 psi in all the gears.

Stinger makes some great products! The down pipe and mid-pipe fit great. It was the over the axle and tail pipe that I wasn't happy with. We have an excellent local exhaust shop, he actually quoted me a price about $150 less than the Stingers. But he said he wasn't sure if he could get the 3" over the axle so I went with Stingers. I'm not saying it is best to skip Stinger but I have several other TCs and the next one will go straight to the exhaust shop.
...and there was light!

Simple performance mods

Reply #6
Most people don't seem to run a CAI. Most seem to remove the factory airbox and stick a 3" K&N cone right on the end of the VAM. A CAI surely wouldn't hurt but I don't know if there is enough gains from it to be concerned with just yet.
...and there was light!

Simple performance mods

Reply #7
Well i would use a 3" down pipe into  a 3" cat. Reduces to 2 1/2 inch system back to the rear and  over axle pipe and out the rear. No ler and that is good for somewhere around 5-6  HP. A 255 is a good mod and should be dun along with an adjustable FPR. Set to 43 PSI no vacuum. Then a boost controller and raise boost to 18 PSI That will get you another 16 HP app. Then a modified air intake and advance the cam 4-6*. Then install a 180* stat and run the fans on time at 185 on 195 Off. Kill the knock sensor and advance the timing 2* MAX  That should get you coupe running real good. Total increase of APP 21-24 Hp. Not bad for a little money and some time on the weekend.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Simple performance mods

Reply #8
Just for the record do you know how hard it is to gain 40 RWH?????? That means the device or mod would Net 46-50 Engine hp. A cam change will net you app 32-34 MAX.  40 RWH from an exhaust on a 2.3 :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Simple performance mods

Reply #9
a CAI would be best, if you ask me.. just hanging a filter off the VAM will suck in all that heat.. at least shove the filter in the fender well, where it can pull in some fresh, cool(er) air..

this is how i did mine.. the polished tube is just some cheap universal CAI i stole off a 2.2L S10.. for temporary purposes, i just cut up the py stock rubber hose to use as my coupler.. i upgraded the turbo, so i wasn't going to buy a coupler that would now be rendered useless.. but you can see how part of my VAM is sticking into the fender well.. i had to do a little tpuppies to make it fit that way, but with a 45 degree coupler on the VAM/tube going to the turbo, there would be no tpuppies involved

and you can safely run 18psi without killing the turbo, provided it's the stock IHI.. which is smaller than my mother's hair drier :giggle:
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Simple performance mods

Reply #10
Totally true SHADOW but the IHI is very capable at 18 and not a pound more.

Simple performance mods

Reply #11
Okay, as for sticking the air filter in the fender well and running some pipe, I drive in rainy weather and my road is sand (haha...)...not sure how that would be for the filter? I like the gillis idea so that is totally on my list now. Shannon from Stinger said that he would be willing to make me a 2.5" tailpipe, I'll have to talk to some shops and see what they all have to say...and Renzo, I assume if I do a high flow cat instead of a ler I will not only be a bit safer on the emissions side of the law (even though there really isn't anything here) and I will get a led effect from the cat? I'd either do a cat or ler b/c I'm working on a tight budget and exhaust is my next stop b/c mine is falling off the hangers, literally. Some of the ler shops in my area are sorta bogus, but I'm curious about my local Midas because I'm told they do a good job, n they didn't bother putting a cat on my friends 198x BMW. But yeah..some research needed there. I'll worry about expenses and stuff for other things as money builds up in my wallet haha. I'll run my IHI (yes stock) at 17psi just because even though you all say it's safe, I just like to be extra safe with my only form of transportation hehe

Simple performance mods

Reply #12
Blue bird did Shannon actually tell you his exhaust system will increase WHP By 40 with just an exhaust????

Simple performance mods

Reply #13
it will be high enough that it shouldn't pick up too much, if any of the sand.. especially with the bottom of the bumper and inner wheel well keeping that area mostly clear of flying debris
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Simple performance mods

Reply #14
Okay, so sorry for not replying but I don't get any notification about replies heh...yes shannon said it would get 40rwhp, i think i still have the emails. I think I might see what a local shop can do though b/c it'd be like $600ish for it all and I'm sure that a shop can do about the same AND install for the same price about.

How do I get the cone filter into the fender? Would I have to take the fender off? I assume I'd be sticking it in that hole where the air box initially goes through I think..I'll have to look more but I'm not too clear on where to stick the filter! Also if it was in the fender wouldn't I be taking it off every month or so to clean the filter?