Skip to main content
Topic: Were do i find A/C coolant? (Read 3004 times) previous topic - next topic

Were do i find A/C coolant?

i have a 86 tbird 3.8, the ac works but is running low doesn't get real cold just kinda blows semi fresh air i need to refill the coolant but i think its a R12 coolant, can i find this still or can i put R134a? thanks Brian

Reply #1
To obtain R12 you must have a license,  you can use 134a with a Retro fit and ESTER OIL for the lubricant.  134a can be bought with no license at many places including Walmart and auto parts stores at about $10 a can.  Hope this helps

Reply #2
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=270892265676&index=1&nav=SEARCH&nid=81417684161

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #3
Bryan That is a blend of 134A & 142B cant use it and it is FLAMMABLE. Stay away from that GARBAGE.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freeze 12 make up

80% 134A
20% 142B
2% charge oil

Just use 134A but be fore warned you need a license to repair AC systems. So be cool and discrete. Another words do it in your garage and dont tell anyone. Just a friendly TIP
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #4
You only need a license if you are refilling with R12. A/C work can be done by anyone otherwise...

Reply #5
I don't want to start a war here but you are wrong. As an ac certified licensed holder i will tell you flat out you need a reclaim machine on PREM to work on ac systems. As the matter of fact he needs both of them if he is retro fitting. How is he going to remove the R12??? Vent IT??? All i am saying is you need a license to work on AC systems. I am not telling anyone not to. just dont get caught.

Although it does not require a license to buy 134A, it required one to evacuate and recover a system. Getting caught doing so will result in a fine. So it may be cheaper to have your A/C converted to R-134A. By a licensed shop.

134A will require a license to buy very soon as the EPA is going to require it.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #6
whatever dude, been through the A/C schooling have the license as well.  each state is different I guess.

Reply #7
Quote from: 88turbo;383111
whatever dude, been through the A/C schooling have the license as well.  each state is different I guess.

Just for the record it has nothing to do with what state you are in. The US is part of the Montreal Protocol.

Just for the record if you do have a license they go through the treaty in great detail at the class ?????

Reply #8
Mr Renzo is 100% correct ,, by law you need to be licensed to repair an A/C system , ......however to buy 134 you do not have to have a license ... it's one of those "it's only illegal if you get caught " kinda things ..  just don't get caught ;)
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #9
Quote from: TOM Renzo;383091
Bryan That is a blend of 134A & 142B cant use it and it is FLAMMABLE. Stay away from that GARBAGE.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Freeze 12 make up

80% 134A
20% 142B
2% charge oil

Just use 134A but be fore warned you need a license to repair AC systems. So be cool and discrete. Another words do it in your garage and dont tell anyone. Just a friendly TIP
I dont have any personal experience with this product, but the ad specifically says its non flamable. If it doesn't perform like R12, you might as well just do the retrofit kit. Just thought this would be easier.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #10
eh.....  I dont care what Tom says I am trying to help the OP out and give him the right info. not trying to fight with anyone

Reply #11
so if i want to retro fit it with 134a and ester oil do i have to drain my system? or would it be better to save my chips and have a shop do it?

Reply #12
BRYAN

The mixing of freons today is astronomic. People are putting PROPANE in systems. We as repairers need all kinds of Equipment like FREON identifiers. We cant recover contaminated charges. It destroys our equipment and once introduced in a reclaim cylinder it costs big time to dispose of. All i am saying is be discrete. Do it in your closed garage dont vent and keep it under you hat. And dont use these MAGIC POTION REPLACEMENTS. Stick with known product R12-134A ETC. THE EPA does not take HOSTAGES. Thanks

Reply #14
I bought a 3/4 full 30 lb can of R12 and a recovery machine on craigslist from this import shop that stopped doing A/C work LOL.

Look on ebay, craigslist etc. There's plenty of R12 out there, not dirt cheap but the cans just like you can buy 134a in the parts store, from back in the 90s, all over ebay and craigslist. Then if you can beg/borrow/steal your buddy's manifold and gauges and a vacuum pump, you could charge it yourself. It's not a brainless process, do some thorough reading, talk to an HVAC expert if you can find one in your circle of friends/family.

And yeah, if you want to have a TECHNICAL debate about the "Letter of The Law" , I'm sure you could find one that says you shouldn't change your own oil in your garage due to possible groundwater pollution. Even if your neighbor sees you working on your A/C, what are the odds they'd even know what's going on? Probably think you're charging your Mr. Fusion up to time traveling with Doc and Marty :giggle:
1987 20th Anniversary Cougar, 302 "5.0" GT-40 heads (F3ZE '93 Cobra) and TMoss Ported H.O. intake, H.O. camshaft
2.5" Duals, no cats, Flowmaster 40s, Richmond 3.73s w/ Trac-Lok, maxed out Baumann shift kit, 3000 RPM Dirty Dog non-lock TC
Aside from the Mustang crinkle headers, still looks like it's only 150 HP...
1988 Black XR7 Trick Flow top end, Tremec 3550
1988 Black XR7 Procharger P600B intercooled, Edelbrock Performer non-RPM heads, GT40 intake AOD, 13 PSI @5000 RPM. 93 octane