Skip to main content
Topic: blown2.3t headgasket? (Read 3077 times) previous topic - next topic

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #15
I was/am still using the water/meth injection using winter blend washer fluid.  It really didn't help that much.

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #16
not a whole lot, but any little bit should help

what do you think of 24 on the street on premium, never really 'beating' on it (as in i don't race retards in hondas at every light) and 28 at the track with 110 or higher?
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #17
Tom is right with where the gaskets blow at! I have proof!!
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #18
Quote from: Shadow;383889
not a whole lot, but any little bit should help

what do you think of 24 on the street on premium, never really 'beating' on it (as in i don't race retards in hondas at every light) and 28 at the track with 110 or higher?

Shouldn't be a problem with the right tune, and a good intercooler as long as its still in the efficiency range of the turbo too.  Don't need it making a bunch of hot air to create detonation.

88 t-bird tc - 14.97 @ 90  IHI 18 psi + k+n filter...so far - NOW HX-35 @25psi - 12.75@112    348rwhp/395rwtq
78 F-150 - 11.61@120 on 175shot N20 - 12.55@110 on motor - 5200# race weight:hick:

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #19
i'm eyeing up a big'in (intercooler).. measures 30x14x3, so i have to see if i can make some room for it.. once i get everything on and the way i want it, i plan on taking it to get it tuned.. until then, i plan on keeping it at a respectable 22psi

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #20
Quote from: SR71blackbird;383928
Tom is right with where the gaskets blow at! I have proof!!

That is classic 2.3 gasket failure. That shows classic CROWNING. I had a box full of those gaskets at one time in the shop. Blowing from the rear number 4 is normally surface issues and flatness.
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #21
Street driven at 24 IFFY with 93. But it has been dun. All depends on the tune heat soak block and head flatness detonation or should i say lack of ETC. But i have proven that all around the best seems to be between 20-22 in my experiance. That gives you a good safety margin. But what the heck. Just my observation on the issue and Boost i have ran on street driven 2.3 fords. Good luck.

:burnout:

I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #22
I pulled the head today and the gasket is fine.  In fact the block has nearly zero wear and the valve cover looks like its been tanked it's so clean. The crank spins freely...no noise or grinding, So I dont know WTH is wrong.  The block is wet near the oil sender/oil filter area.  I am hoping it has something to do with the filter adapter since I lost water AND oil.

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #23
Well i was suspecting you wold not find a blown gasket in that area. I have only seen a few do that. Did you do any tests prior to tearing it down?? I never assume anything so i normally do extensive pretesting before tear down. Why do you run the filter adapter. Just curious. Mine is long gone and i use an FL1. Better tear the block apart and check the block for cracks. Also check the deck and head surface for flatness. Especially on cyl number 4. Good luck

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #24
I've seen the oil feed line for the turbo crack at the sender adapter on the head, but don't know why your radiator would be empty if that happened.  I don't know if blowing the turbo would feed water into the cartridge into the exhaust or not though either.  I'm kinda surprised that the head gasket wasn't blown though.  The oil cooler adapter might be the source though.  However, I can't remember right off hand, but I don't think the water could leak out of it unless a hose loosened up or the cooler failed which would give you a milkshake in the engine.

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #25
Several of the water jacket cutouts on the gasket were completely gummed up, but other than that?  I dont think it's the block as the water jackets are still full.  You think it blew a turbo?  It wasnt under boost when it let go, and their isnt any oil on that side.  I    I should have done a compression check, but I assumed the worst. LOL  I will pull that oil cooler off and check it out.  The car came with it so I've never messed with it.  Can you remove that and get rid of the water lines? Never even thought to do that.  There isnt enough oil to register on the dipstick, so I will have to pull the plug and see what I have.

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #26
I was just throwing out ideas.  The oil cooler is probably your best shot then.  I still run that oil cooler on all of my cars.  My burgundy one because the oil gets alot of heat from the holset turbo, and my autox car to do the same pretty much.  My burgundy one always seemed to get alot less oil pressure after heatsoaking at an autox.

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #27
545 you are better off using an oil to air setup. Those stock coolers are pretty rugged but i had 2 of them fail and take out a bottom end.  So i dont run them any more. Tests have shown they do relatively nothing. Even the SYTY guys eliminate them on the TYPHOONS. I also do not run one on my LT1. We have had no issues whatsoever with out them. But if you feel they help just keep up with your setup. Thanks

I also noticed the muck around the water holes in his gasket. He definitely had something let go.

Just a question??? Do you really think the cooler does work. Just curious and appreciate feedback Thanks Again

I was toying with running the lines to the radiator like on the GM cars. You know one side for the auto and the other side is for the oil cooler. (blazer setup ETC) Reason being the radiator tanks are much cooler than where the TC  gets the water to  cool the oil. The TC gets the coolant from a place in my view that is way to HOT. Just a thought

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #28
I pulled the oil cooler adapter off and I dont see anything.  The head is super clean, but the 1,2,and 3 intake manifold runners have a small amount of oil in them.  Not sure how the head can be so clean, but the intake gets so nasty.  I will try a couple other things first, but I bet I end up yanking the motor out.

blown2.3t headgasket?

Reply #29
Quote from: TOM Renzo;384489
I was toying with running the lines to the radiator like on the GM cars. You know one side for the auto and the other side is for the oil cooler. (blazer setup ETC) Reason being the radiator tanks are much cooler than where the TC  gets the water to  cool the oil. The TC gets the coolant from a place in my view that is way to HOT. Just a thought

that's actually a pretty good thought, if you ask me.. run the oil feed line to the rad tank, then to the turbo.. hmm.. and maybe an external trans cooler inbetween? i think that would keep the turbo pretty happy