Skip to main content
Topic: Man fools kid (Read 5427 times) previous topic - next topic

Man fools kid

Reply #30
As a mechanic I can sum up what is puppiesg the trade in two words: FLAT RATE. When you pay your techs flat rate you are encouraging them to be dishonest. They will miss repairs that a car obviously needs because the job doesn't pay well, and they will exaggerate repairs that might not be too crucial (or make them up entirely) if they pay well. Brainy techs who are good at electrical diagnosis (modesty aside, this would be me) are penalized because diagnosis does not pay well (in the case of Chrysler it does not pay at all) while less technically skilled guys make a killing on brakes & suspension. For example, when I was at Saturn, if I was chasing an electrical issue for four hours I MIGHT have gotten paid that four hours, plus an extra half hour for actually making the repair (say, soldering a broken wire). Meanwhile buddy in the next bay has spent his four hours doing three brake jobs and a control arm bushing, and takes home 8 hours. And as mentioned above, Chrysler is even worse. They wouldn't have paid those 4 hours diagnostic time, they'd have paid just the half hour to make the actual repair. For this reason techs are forced to either guess or starve. And it gets worse still - carmakers, especially certain ones that went bankrupt (or came very close to it) are looking to cut warranty costs. When a part fails it must be repaired or replaced, and there's nothing the manufacturer can do about that. So where do they cut costs? By cutting the flat rate times, of course. A job that used to pay 16 hours (such as replacing the swirl valves in a Mercedes 3.0 CDI) now pays 6.

This has the result of techs being reluctant to do warranty repairs and half-ass them when they do. What isn't warranty is retail, and manufacturers don't dictate retail flat rate times, so you can imagine the tech's preference.

Of course the tech isn't the only crook in the dealership service dept. Service advisors get paid a very low base salary plus a bonus based on retail work (warranty stuff does not count). The service manager gets a bonus based on the retail numbers. And of course the dealership owner makes more on retail than he does on flat rate. shiznit normally flows downhill, but in this case it's spraying everywhere. Unfortunately most of it lands on the mechanic, who has absolutely no say in the labour rate, flat rate time or parts markup but has to endure such stupidity as this thread, which places the blame on his back for everything he has no control over, including the vehicle owner's ignorance toward cars.

Let there be no doubt, customers share some blame in the whole mess that is the mechanic/customer relationship (such as this ridiculously titled thread). If you tell a customer a job will take three hours he expects to pay for three hours. If it takes four (broken bolt threw the job into the shiznitter) he will cry bloody murder if you try to charge him four. If it takes two he will expect you to reduce his quote to two. Flat rate is supposed to eliminate this problem, but as mentioned above, paying the tech flat rate and giving the service writer bonuses based on his sales opens it up to abuse. Menu pricing helps somewhat (brakes for $129.99 installed, most vehicles) but until techs start getting paid honestly they will be tempted to upsell/oversell.

For all the reasons posted above I got out of a flat rate shop and into one that pays a salary. I could probably make 30% more flat rate but I'm tired of the bullshiznit. And since everyone in the shop is paid the same I don't feel bad chasing an electrical gremlin while the dumb guy makes a killing on the alignment hoist. And I'm not alone. Large dealerships are losing their best techs to small shops because of the politics and flat rate reductions. They're all begging for techs but can't get anyone with any experience. As soon as young guys see the bullshiznit they leave. Some leave for smaller, straight time shops. Some leave for foreign dealerships that usually pay much better. Many leave the trade entirely. It's going to be interesting to see where this all ends up...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Man fools kid

Reply #31
I actually don't work on any of my other cars... I got a mechanic who is real good, trustworthy, and also charges a decent price.. it would cost me more money to do my own repairs on my cars.
I used to do it all myself, now I just play with the cougars when I have time. I also hate getting greasy...lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Man fools kid

Reply #32
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;382072
As a mechanic I can sum up what is puppiesg the trade in two words: FLAT RATE. When you pay your techs flat rate you are encouraging them to be dishonest. They will miss repairs that a car obviously needs because the job doesn't pay well, and they will exaggerate repairs that might not be too crucial (or make them up entirely) if they pay well. Brainy techs who are good at electrical diagnosis (modesty aside, this would be me) are penalized because diagnosis does not pay well (in the case of Chrysler it does not pay at all) while less technically skilled guys make a killing on brakes & suspension. For example, when I was at Saturn, if I was chasing an electrical issue for four hours I MIGHT have gotten paid that four hours, plus an extra half hour for actually making the repair (say, soldering a broken wire). Meanwhile buddy in the next bay has spent his four hours doing three brake jobs and a control arm bushing, and takes home 8 hours. And as mentioned above, Chrysler is even worse. They wouldn't have paid those 4 hours diagnostic time, they'd have paid just the half hour to make the actual repair. For this reason techs are forced to either guess or starve. And it gets worse still - carmakers, especially certain ones that went bankrupt (or came very close to it) are looking to cut warranty costs. When a part fails it must be repaired or replaced, and there's nothing the manufacturer can do about that. So where do they cut costs? By cutting the flat rate times, of course. A job that used to pay 16 hours (such as replacing the swirl valves in a Mercedes 3.0 CDI) now pays 6.

This has the result of techs being reluctant to do warranty repairs and half-ass them when they do. What isn't warranty is retail, and manufacturers don't dictate retail flat rate times, so you can imagine the tech's preference.

Of course the tech isn't the only crook in the dealership service dept. Service advisors get paid a very low base salary plus a bonus based on retail work (warranty stuff does not count). The service manager gets a bonus based on the retail numbers. And of course the dealership owner makes more on retail than he does on flat rate. shiznit normally flows downhill, but in this case it's spraying everywhere. Unfortunately most of it lands on the mechanic, who has absolutely no say in the labour rate, flat rate time or parts markup but has to endure such stupidity as this thread, which places the blame on his back for everything he has no control over, including the vehicle owner's ignorance toward cars.

Let there be no doubt, customers share some blame in the whole mess that is the mechanic/customer relationship (such as this ridiculously titled thread). If you tell a customer a job will take three hours he expects to pay for three hours. If it takes four (broken bolt threw the job into the shiznitter) he will cry bloody murder if you try to charge him four. If it takes two he will expect you to reduce his quote to two. Flat rate is supposed to eliminate this problem, but as mentioned above, paying the tech flat rate and giving the service writer bonuses based on his sales opens it up to abuse. Menu pricing helps somewhat (brakes for $129.99 installed, most vehicles) but until techs start getting paid honestly they will be tempted to upsell/oversell.

For all the reasons posted above I got out of a flat rate shop and into one that pays a salary. I could probably make 30% more flat rate but I'm tired of the bullshiznit. And since everyone in the shop is paid the same I don't feel bad chasing an electrical gremlin while the dumb guy makes a killing on the alignment hoist. And I'm not alone. Large dealerships are losing their best techs to small shops because of the politics and flat rate reductions. They're all begging for techs but can't get anyone with any experience. As soon as young guys see the bullshiznit they leave. Some leave for smaller, straight time shops. Some leave for foreign dealerships that usually pay much better. Many leave the trade entirely. It's going to be interesting to see where this all ends up...
Amen. I would be exhibit A.

Man fools kid

Reply #33
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;382038
Yeah, he's not so bad ;)
Never said he was bad. Seems to be a good man and very knowledgeable. We just disagree a lot.

Man fools kid

Reply #34
Quote from: TOM Renzo;381994
But then again i have not seen drums on cars for a long time since rear discs have replaced them years ago. just on the cheaper models and our old rides.

believe it or not my heavy ass 07 Raider actually has drums in the back
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Man fools kid

Reply #35
As a small business man I am very ok.  With businesses making a profit.  But not screwing people.
I'm a computer consultant(its good to be paid for your opinion), but my shop also repairs computers.  The good the bad and the super cheap.  We are honest and warranty the repair we do.  We have to do some SOP diag work on every PC that comes in(my young tech guy always doesn't like it, too bad).  Sometimes you take it on the chin.  But most days it good. 

A rich smart business man once told me a simple formula.

A,B,C customers!  As a business man you want A customers......duh!

A Customer: pretty much know what they want/need, trusts you to do it for them, and pays the bill quickly....without questions.

B Customer: still know something of what they want/need, likes you and most of the time trust what you say, and pays the bill pretty fast and sometimes questions your bill, but over all its still a good experience. 

C Customer: doesnt know what they want/need, doesn't trust you much, and pays slowly and complains about the bill all the time.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure you dont want/need C customers.  They are generally not worth it, because of the hassle and the bad mouthing that happens when everything doesn't go perfect....

Im at the point in my career that I dont need every customer....  So I really focus on the A's and B's.  :)

Travis

Man fools kid

Reply #36
This is a real interesting thread.  I will say one thing for sure, I wish I had some of you guys for a neighbor.  I'm not completely worthless mechanically and I am always willing to learn something new.  But I definitely don't always know what I am doing, and it is just nice to have someone with more experience take a peek and tell you if you are on the right track.

As far as the larger issue, I think Thunder Chicken is probably getting close to the truth.  Every side has contributed something to the problem (customers included).  One factor that I might add is the increasing complexity of cars.  Take the case of the headlight mentioned by Mr. Wilson as an example.  The other day I changed the headlight on my '00 Taurus.  I had to look at the owner's manual a couple times just to figure out how to get the housing loose.  Without that it would have taken me forever just to change a stinkin' headlight.  It just isn't always intuitive the way the things are put together.  So for things that were more complicated in the first place, it is getting darn near impossible for an amateur like me to fix anything.  And it also seems like it would be easier for a mechanic to have to spend more time and effort on a job than he antited, but also easier for a customer to get taken for a ride because they have no idea how anything works in their car so they just accept what they are told.  So it still cuts both ways.

That cut thermostat is crazy.  I can't believe someone would go that far.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Man fools kid

Reply #37
Quote from: sarjxxx;382084
believe it or not my heavy ass 07 Raider actually has drums in the back

tom said cars, not trucks lol a lot of trucks from the past few years still do their stopping with drums in the rear
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Man fools kid

Reply #38
My new "11" Fiesta has drums, but anyway, the title is hardly ridiculous cuz there was no room in the title for " Sorry a$$ Local Goodyear Garage mechanics tried to rip off my neighbor".  These were not dealership guys, they are a local garage...dont know if they have the same pay rate as a dealership or not. fact is they blatantly ripped off a dude that obviously knows nothing about cars.  As far as consumers being informed, well I dont know  about computers, but my neighbor does, SO, we trade labor, only I teach him basic car stuff.  I think this bartering system will be coming back in fashion soon.

Man fools kid

Reply #39
Quote from: Shadow;382122
tom said cars, not trucks lol a lot of trucks from the past few years still do their stopping with drums in the rear

yeah but I also forgot to mention my wife's 08 civic has them as well. Although I tend to blame that simply on it's being a civic...:yuck:
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Man fools kid

Reply #40
Actually it is a ridiculous thread title because you're blaming the mechanics for the practices of the shop (parts markup, labour rate, etc). Not only that but you're lumping all mechanics together like we're all crooks based on your experience with one shop. This would be like saying "Sorry a** Jews" because you paid too much for legal services, or "sorry ass ni**ers" because you know somebody that got robbed by a black guy. Stereotypes are bad, M'Kay? And perpetuating them out of ignorance is worse.

Remember, the mechanic does not set the door rate.
He does not set the flat rate time.
He does not set the parts markup.
He does not decide the "menu pricing" items such as maintenance.
And he doesn't buy/install Chinese Autozone white-box $20 rotors that will only last a few months because he knows he has to guarantee his work.

He merely turns his wrenches and puts up with a lot of bullshiznit like this...
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Man fools kid

Reply #41
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;382378
Actually it is a ridiculous thread title because you're blaming the mechanics for the practices of the shop (parts markup, labour rate, etc). Not only that but you're lumping all mechanics together like we're all crooks based on your experience with one shop. This would be like saying "Sorry a** Jews" because you paid too much for legal services, or "sorry ass ni**ers" because you know somebody that got robbed by a black guy. Stereotypes are bad, M'Kay? And perpetuating them out of ignorance is worse.

Remember, the mechanic does not set the door rate.
He does not set the flat rate time.
He does not set the parts markup.
He does not decide the "menu pricing" items such as maintenance.
And he doesn't buy/install Chinese Autozone white-box $20 rotors that will only last a few months because he knows he has to guarantee his work.

He merely turns his wrenches and puts up with a lot of bullshiznit like this...
Calm down there Thunder Chicken. You are 100% correct, however, I don't think it was his intentions to stereotype anyone. Most of the talk on this thread has been education as to why this stuff is happening, not perpetuating of ignorance. Just trying to keep peace. There hasn't been a lot of it on here lately. Unfortunately, I have been in the middle of most of the negativity around here. Kind of makes me wounder if it's me.

Man fools kid

Reply #42
I think this a decent thread.  Kinda odd on a car forum.  I say that with the fact almost all of us
Work on our old tired fox cars.  Anyway the few that don't mite find this thread useful.

Travis

Man fools kid

Reply #43
Quote from: sarjxxx;382372
yeah but I also forgot to mention my wife's 08 civic has them as well. Although I tend to blame that simply on it's being a civic...:yuck:

it's the big H on the decklid.. that's the fault LOL
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Man fools kid

Reply #44
Seriously?  You would equate (pick your ism) to me being a bit taken aback that one particular, locally owned/operated professional automotive repair shop stuck a q-tip in an engine and charged said customer $70 for a bottle of injector cleaner? I understand why you would take offense if it was a slap at your entire  profession, but this was a beef against ONE shop, I believe that was obvious, if not, oh well...Now you know.  I dont care what the cirspoogestances were, THAT was just plain unsat.