Skip to main content
Topic: sunroof (Read 2115 times) previous topic - next topic

sunroof

Hello! My cougar has almost everything i want on her except for a sunroof. I checked alot of the junk yards around me and not many cats in them at all. So i was wondering if the sunroof assembly from a t- bird or a mark IIV would work in my car. Any and all advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

sunroof

Reply #1
Sunroof (flip up only), or power moonroof?

Essentially, from the factory our roof panels were made differently if they were to have the factory power moonroof (and sunroof on earlier cars). So it's usually not a case of cutting the hole and everything being set up for it. The dome light would need to be relocated in a lot of instances, and so would the wiring; the headliner was different, etc.

I went through what you're going through now, about 15-20 years ago with one of my older Cats. In the end I had an aftermarket sunroof put in that required no readjustments on the interior. It was smaller than the factory style glass but it was still removable and didn't compromise headroom.

I honestly don't know if a factory Ford sunroof could be installed in a solid roof car.

The power moonroof is another beast altogether. There are a few people on this board that have swapped roof panels so maybe they can chime in.

sunroof

Reply #2
I could live with a flip up sunroof. I would just lke to have some sunlight entering the top of my car. If you dont mind could you walk me through the steps you took to get the sunroof to work in your car?

sunroof

Reply #3
If you pay to have my roof chopped off, and your roof welded back onto my Sport, you're welcome to it.

Yeah, I'm effin' serious too. The headliner is almost 2 inches lower than a solid roofed '87-'88, and I have put in the manual seat tracks, so I have no up or down adjustability in my seating. I hate leaning back like a "gangsta" too....I can barely slide my fingers between my head and the ceiling of the car...and I took the headliner out awhile back.. I'm also 5'10" for reference.

I thought it was cool at first. Now, it's a huge PITA...but at least the  thing works still.

Honestly, I'd rather brace the living hell out of the bottom and cut the roof clean off, but that wouldn't fit into my ultimate goal with the car.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

sunroof

Reply #4
Gayle had a car a few years ago we bought. She wanted a sunroof bad (Now every car she drives has to be factory equipped with one)....anyway....she went through, of all places, JCWhitney, and bought a sunroof kit. It was solid and well made. We took the the car downtown to a body shop, and they did the measuring many times, took the template that came with the kit and marked the pattern on the roof. cut it out, and got busy installing the kit. The hole in the headliner is cut smaller to allow the material to be folded up for a "finished look". A bead of sealant was applied to the edges of the hole, the frame was placed in the hole from the top, then the bottom of the frame was installed from the bottom (it sandwiched the roof and headliner), then it was fastened together with supplied screws, then done. Just slide the glass in. It could be raised in two positions manually, or removed altogether. Not really a hard installation at all, but once it's done, it's done. No going back. It looked good, and never leaked for the two years we had the car. Now, all her cars get a factory power moonroof.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

sunroof

Reply #5
my Towncar has a moonroof..... my head also touches the headliner, and I'm also 5' 10"..... I will never again get one.... in 6 years it was opened aprox 2 times. glass on a roof defeats the purpose of air conditioning.... it's a constant battle cooling the heat trying to get into the car... so the panel is always closed to cover the sun coming through
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

sunroof

Reply #6
Thanks fellows for your assistance. Im going to go with the manual sunroof option. That would seem to work best for me.

sunroof

Reply #7
I meant to tell you I was planning the same thing

[thread]33276[/thread]
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L