Skip to main content
Topic: fuel line trouble (Read 1235 times) previous topic - next topic

fuel line trouble

I have a 1983 cougar and one day I was pulling out the drive way and my car just died on me... We replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel line, and dropped the tank cleaned it and reacttached it but it still won't start if I put gas in the carberator it starts then dies.. I tryed turning the key  off and on to fill the fuel pump and then we held down the thing under the air filter that looks like a air valve but still ... No luck I'm at a loss everyone I know can't figure out what else might be wrong... Can anyone help me????

fuel line trouble

Reply #1
Did fuel squirt out of the valve, either during cranking, or immediately afterwards?

If it just trickled out, or none at all, you have a blockage, or something in the tank obstructing the pickup...

Do the '83's have an electric pump, or were they mechanical, driven off of the cam?

If it's a cam driven style, did you get the lever mounted to the eccentric correctly? It has to go in just so-so, or you won't have fuel pressure.

BTW, any codes?

Welcome to the best place...someone will be along soon that knows far more than I about the earlier FoxBirdCougars. :)
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

fuel line trouble

Reply #2
Electric or mechanical pump ???
Fox-less at the moment

fuel line trouble

Reply #3
No Fuel came out during us holding that valve down and no air eirther but we can blow through the lines and feel air...
So that means there's not a line blockage righ

fuel line trouble

Reply #4
Elecric fuel pump

fuel line trouble

Reply #5
what engine is in the car?
Fox-less at the moment

fuel line trouble

Reply #6
It has fuel injection but it was like the firdt model with them so it still has a carberator too and the fuel pump is located under the backseat area under the car

fuel line trouble

Reply #7
Its a V8 5.0 liters

fuel line trouble

Reply #8
Do you hear the fuel pump prime when turning the key (but not yet cranking)?

Inertia switch tripped?

I'm not sure for an 83 if it's on the inside of the tail light panel, behind the carpeting/trunk liner like the '87-'88 cars...but if you've not checked it yet, may be worth a look.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

fuel line trouble

Reply #9
I never been in a accident or anything . I thought that's the only way it can be flipped..but I can check it out tomarrow

fuel line trouble

Reply #10
The fuel pump makes a buZzing like nosie for a few seconds then stops...

fuel line trouble

Reply #11
it doesn't take much to set it off.. i dropped a screw driver, that in turn, bounced off the trunk floor and barely hit the stupid thing, shutting my fuel pump down.. it could also be bad.. i'd check the wires with a test light to be sure it's working
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

fuel line trouble

Reply #12
HMm really ill have to check it out

fuel line trouble

Reply #13
Thankyou guys for helpping me out I love my car I been working on it for 8 monthes I just want her running again... I appriciate it I really do

fuel line trouble

Reply #14
it's why we're all here.. and welcome.. you've stumbled across the best place for fox birds/cats ;)
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver