Skip to main content
Topic: Ok, New Year's Resolutions, let's hear 'em (Read 5070 times) previous topic - next topic

Ok, New Year's Resolutions, let's hear 'em

Yes, it's that time of year again. Time to set goals, whether they be for personal improvement, or for financial reasons, or to start or complete a project, automotive or otherwise.

Here are my personal goals:

• First and foremost, I will lose 50 pounds, and I will do so by May 1. I lost 100 pounds in six months a few years ago. Sadly, I lapsed and put half of that weight back on, so it's time to shift gears again. Crash diet starts today.
  • I also plan on getting back into shape, not just weight wise, but strength/stamina wise as well. This was another goal I'd achieved a few years ago but had lapsed. Granted I don't have so far to go this time around (thanks to having a job I'm constantly on the go), but still...
  • I will have another toy car (IE project car). Dunno if it'll be a Fox BirdCat, but there will hopefully be an old car in my driveway by this time next year, pending the sale of this house and setting up in another. I'm actually leaning toward either a 77-78 Trans Am or a C3 Vette. The Firebird for nostalgia (my first and second cars were a 78 T/A and an 80 Formula, respectively), the Corvette because I've always liked C3 Vettes and they're dirt cheap to buy. Either one would get an LSx engine, just because I want the looks of the old car but the driveability and reliability of a new one. Don't worry, some day I'll have another FoxBirdCat (and if the right four-eye Bird happens to stumble along before the Vette or F-body it just may happen sooner rather than later) but I want something different this time around...

Those are my "cast-in-stone" resolutions. They will happen (again, the car will depend on the sale of the house I'm in).

"Cast-In-Jello" resolutions, meaning that I'm not even sure whether I want them to happen or not, are:
  • RCMP. As some of you may remember, I'd gotten an acceptance letter to join the RCMP about a year and a half ago. They wrote me the letter saying I was in, got my hopes up, then called me a week later and told me that although I was accepted there was a waiting list, and that it'd be at least a year. I was later told it was more than two years. In the meantime I've gotten out of the job I hated and into one I like, and have generally lost interest in the whole RCMP thing. Some things the recruiter told me have turned me off (such as the virtual guarantee that I'd be posted to rural Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba), and their radio advertisp00gets have really turned me off as well - they say they're hiring, but only "young aboriginals". The racism in that  me off to no end, and if I'm going to move out west it'll be as a mechanic, where I'll make more money doing something I know I can do well and don't have to worry about being shot at. I really don't know what I'd do if I were to get the phone call tomorrow...
  • Out west. To continue the statement about moving out west and making more money, I've been loosely thinking that once my house sells I may just pull up stakes and head to Alberta. I could literally double what I'm making out there, and even more. Houses are more expensive, but everything else is cheaper. Much cheaper. Everything from food to fuel, and taxes are much lower too. Add in that this province (Nova Scotia) is falling apart thanks to no money, no ambition, and a government that seems to be actively trying to make this the poorest province in the nation (we're already #3, may as well go for #1) and I'm just about ready to say fvck it and head for the land of milk and honey. For example, our government recently raised sales tax to 15% because they need the money, then turned around and gave $50 million away to an American owned pulp mill to keep 100 people working because the company was threatening to close it because nobody is buying paper anymore (and to add insult to injury they also raised our power rates 10% so they could lower rates for the mill)...

So those are some of my resolutions. Let's hear yours, keeping in mind that if you post them here this thread will exist so you can hold your head in triumph should you succeed :headbang: or hang it in shame should you fail :beatyoass:
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #1
I guess mine would be loosing weight too. 30 lbs would put me at my ideal weight.

Reply #2
To put my god Tbird on the road legally, in a fit shape as to be seen and not laughed at as I'm driving it...(they can laugh at me all they want, laugh at the car and I'll stop and yank out the bitch-be-good stick and refresh their attitudes).

There's a lot of things I'm going to try to better about myself.
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #3
I made a resolution back in the 80s to stop making resolutions.... so far, I've stuck with it.... lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #4
:bowdown:
'98 Explorer 5.0
'20 Malibu (I know, Chevy, but, 35MPG. Let's go brandon, eh)

Reply #5
i only have 4.. lol

- get back in 100% riding condition and start racing in the NBL again (national bicycle league).. i miss it, i stopped when i was 16 and got into micros.. i want to start racing regionals and nationals again, they're the most fun

- run the capri in a few 8.50 index races at atco.. i need to do some suspension tweaking, since i'm running drag radials now that measure about 9.5 and sometimes lose grip

- FINISH ALL MY  PROJECTS and pick up a 60 something 4 door car and turn it into a 2 door project.. something i've been wanting to do for some time now

- and i saved the most important for last.. MOVE TO DELAWARE.. we had to put it on hold after 2 houses falling through, because my dog is part chow.. my fat, sissy dog, is considered a 'vicious animal..' so now we're looking to buy sometime in the spring, which actually works out for me, because we can work it into the mortgage for my shop, if there isn't already a decent size building on the property
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #6
I don't make resolutions, but I do make plans/set goals.

For this year, the plan I have set out for myself is to run 4-5 1/2-marathon races (mostly off-road, but at least one will be a road race) in addition to the 5- 5K trail race series I'll be doing in the summer. 

First 1/2 marathon is at the end of the month...in the dark.  Should be fun.

The goals are a 1:45-1:50 1/2-marathon time on the trail, and 1:35-1:40 on the road, as well ashiznitting a sub-24-minute 5K trail race this year.  I had a 2:00 trail 1/2-marathon back in Oct, and did a 24:40 5K trail race over the summer this past year.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo - '85 Marquis LTS - '86 LTD Wagon

Reply #7
My resolution is 1080p.

Oh yeah and to shave. Eventually.
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #8
I got the 1080p already. My TV went out a week before Christmas. It was a 83 model.

Reply #9
Quote from: Chrome;376780
I got the 1080p already. My TV went out a week before Christmas. It was a 83 model.

Your TV was older than you car? .
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

Reply #10
Quote from: sarjxxx;376782
Your TV was older than you car? .

It was given to a buddy of mine from his mother in law. He had no need for it, so he gave it to me. Being a 25 inch it was better than the 19 inch I was using. This was about 4 years ago. Now I have a 32 inch flat screen. Soon I will have Dish upgrade me to HD

Reply #11
I'm looking forward to that first cruise with my cougar.. can't let another year slip by, gonna make time for it and get it done.  Happy New year everyone

oh yeah, exercise and 25lbs would help too lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
Continue On the weight loss plan , maybe get more diligent
Fox-less at the moment

Reply #13
Stop buying cars.

Not working out so well and its only the 2nd day of the year.
1986 Cougar LS

Reply #14
Spend an hour in the garage every single day, whether it's to make progress or to just sweep the floors, getting out there is the first step.
1987 TC