Skip to main content
Topic: Which supercharger do you recomend, and why? (Read 2902 times) previous topic - next topic

Which supercharger do you recomend, and why?

Reply #15
The block is good for 500HP. But I'll never own a blower cause for $3K I could make 450HP without the blower. Thats the good thing about having the hook up at machine shop.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #16
the block is good for about 425-450hp with any crank driven power adder.. you'd be better off spending that 3k on a 351 or an aftermarket block and build a turbo motor.. no matter what people say, i will ALWAYS favor turbos.. unless you buy some stupidly priced bolt-on, low boost turbo kit.. a turbo gives you the biggest bang for your buck.. some may argue that nitrous is more bang for your buck, but i beg to differ.. bottles are for babies ;)
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #17
I've always been a N/A guy. I'd rather spend the money on crank, rod, pistons, valvetrain, or heads. For $3K I can get full forged rotating assemblie and AFR heads. With alittle extra money I could get the valvetrain and ignition, Ive already have a 650 DP Holley and torker intake. Bam complete 331 with around 400+ ponies. Screw power adders. I would like to add a boss block and be able to turn 7000+ RPMs. The new Boss 302 has me jonesing for a high rpm small block.
88 Cougar LS 5.0 .030 over, ported E7s with GT40 valves & trickflow springs, Proform roller rockers, HO cam, removed air silencer, K&N filter, smog pump delete, 2.25" dual flowmasters, Pacestter H-pipe & headers, HO computer, 65mm TB, Explorer intake, 19# injecters, 3.45s, rebuilt posi, and TCI shift kit.

Reply #18
i've been all about NA power until i ventured into my first turbo smallblock experience.. my mind has been forever changed.. lol

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Reply #19
I lean toward a NA engine myself, but I have to admit the SC whine is really nice, lag in the Marauder is non-existant...

$3K for a Kenne Bell is cheap, the Triology Kits for the Marauders WERE $7K, they recently sold their 250th unit and say it will be the last...

Reply #20
Wn
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Reply #21
Quote from: TOM Renzo;377426
Well just me but Turbos make more HP.

i agree tom, but SC guys like to argue about it til they're blue in the face.. so i usually stay out of it and just laugh at them as they argue.. lol

Reply #22
Ye
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

Reply #23
Quote from: TOM Renzo;377429
Yes that is why i am reading and not posting. Blowers use HP to make HP. Turbos on the other hand normally make much more HP than a Blower. Now Coolness is in the eye of the beholder!!!!!

my grandfather says beauty is in the eye of the beer holder :hick:

Reply #24
I paid $1000 for a used Powerdyne centrifugal head unit on ebay and made the brackets myself. My total cost was around $1200 after buying an intercooler and piping. The good thing about the Powerdyne is that it has bearings that are sealed so you dont have to run oil supply and return lines. Im making 8psi without any engine management for a few years now with no issues. So no need to spend a fortune.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #25
I always wanted to do a trick flow top end kit, kb and t-56. Lots of problems with that, knowing what I do now. Right now, if I won the lottery tomorrow, 255 crank, light weight rods and pistons, highports  cut teeth t-5 or toploader, stock tc rear stock h.o. cam. That would be a n\a setup,made to last forever. If I really wanted to make power, I would do a kenne bell sc, 408 or 418 stock block, stock h.o. cam, hiports or r series head and basically everything else the same.

Not that I am against turbo's, but I have seen people get near 600ft lbs ar the rear wheels with a kenne bell and stock ported heads. I would either want a high revving n\a, or a monster torque 351 based block. I don't care to get good traction, or race it, just want to blow the tires off whenever I want. I would probably keep stockish sized tires.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #26
We

Reply #27
my

Reply #28
Between my turbo and supercharged cars, I'd. Have to say the turbo is a lot more fun, but the supercharger is a lot more reliable. The turbo backs up a lot of heat and exhaust pressure on the motor.

turbo charged 94 Cobra engine/440cc injectors/megasquirt /5 speed swapped (T5)/maxbox upper intake/70mm PP throttle body/AJE coilovers/2003 Mustang control arms/S.T. sway bars/ES rear control arm bushings/11" brake conversion/manual rack conversion/8.8 TC rear with rear discs and a welded diff/3.73 gears/PLX wideband/199mph speedometer/Aeromotive FPR/CNC hydraulic hand brake/cobra R wheels/....ect.

Reply #29
I w