Skip to main content
Topic: Antique plates (Read 6651 times) previous topic - next topic

Antique plates

Reply #30
But gas is high in DE, at least compared to MD & VA... Not necessarily bad as the other savings no doubt off set the cost...

Antique plates

Reply #31
here in utah, 30 years for a continued production model or manufacturer, and 25 if the manufacterer is gone. Basically, thunderbird at 30 years, cougar at 25. It does not do anything though. You still have to pass saftey and emissions in a 67 and newer every year and all emissions equipment has to be fuctioning. The fee is only slightly less, and you can only drive 250 miles a year.

I don't understand why anyone here would put model t plates on their car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Antique plates

Reply #32
Quote from: TurboCoupe50;374291
But gas is high in DE, at least compared to MD & VA... Not necessarily bad as the other savings no doubt off set the cost...

it's only about 15 cents higher than it is here in jersey, but everything else being cheaper really makes it a LOT cheaper to live in DE
ShadowMSC.com < < Still Under Construction

R.I.P. 'Zump' 8/29/86 - 11/11/11
3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Antique plates

Reply #33
Quote from: Weasle;374268
Im not worried about being limited on driving with the antique plates. I think the black and white virginia plates will look good on my black car. Ive been waiting to get these for years now!

+1
My T-bird isn't a daily driver and only comes out on nice sunny days in the summer. Who cares if I can't drive it every day. I don't. That's why I have a daily driver.

You may be able to get your antique plates now. It's usually 25 model years old. Since the 2012 model year has started your car is technically 25 years old :).
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Antique plates

Reply #34
Quote from: thunderjet302;374298
You may be able to get your antique plates now. It's usually 25 model years old. Since the 2012 model year has started your car is technically 25 years old :).

correct, but it may not be the same in every state.. i believe, in jersey, you're elidgable when your car is 25 years old, compared to the current model year cars on the lot

3- 87 TC's / 1 really mean 83 Capri RS / 94 Sonoma SAS Project on 37x12.50 TSL Radials / 88 S10 that's LITERALLY cut to pieces / 84 F150 SAS, 351M, 39.5 TSL's / 85 Toyota regular cab, 22R 5spd, 3/4" drop, my little junkyard save/daily driver

Antique plates

Reply #35
Im going to check today since my old plates expired today. I would hate to have to renew my plates for just a month before buying the antique plates lol.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Antique plates

Reply #36
Shadow
I spend money I don't have, To build  cars I don't need, To impress people I don't know

HAVE YOU DRIVEN A FORD LATELY!!

Antique plates

Reply #37
Quote from: Weasle;374308
Im going to check today since my old plates expired today. I would hate to have to renew my plates for just a month before buying the antique plates lol.

I'm fairly sure the requirement is calendar year, not model year...

VA will graciously refund half of your tag fee, providing there is still six months or more left on a current registration...

Antique plates

Reply #38
Quote from: TOM Renzo;374312
Shadow the taxes on the shop are 22K a year. Thank god my grand father bought the building in  early 1900. If not between a mortgage and taxes i could note make it. Especially on the body shop. The insurance companies are paying JACK. We are lucky we just have taxes and utilities. But some of the other shops ar paying 10K a month for rent!!!! Basically i want to move but i dont want to leave the kids. My girls all live here and my wife wont move. I looked at some property in NH. But it is to cold for an old dude like me. So i will look south and see what gives. But like i said my wife is being difficult with a move. You know friends stores the kids ETC.

good god.. 22k? i would have only made 4k this year after paying taxes, since i had to temporarily close up shop in june when i broke my femur.. that's just insane, i only pay about 7k in taxes and insurance a year

Antique plates

Reply #39
I just got the Historical tags for my '85 TurboCoupe.
Here in Ohio it's 25 years old.
They cost $27.35 and expire in 2050!!, and no annual registration fee.
Driving is restricted to traveling to car shows or club functions, parades,
or maintenance related.  No mileage restrictions.
Insurance through Grundy collector car is $160 annually with $500K
liability & $10,000 agreed upon value, no appraisal necessary!  Just had
to send them a few pictures!  Also no mileage restrictions!

Antique plates

Reply #40
Quote from: sarjxxx;374073
you gotta be 30+ here in FL to get Antique tags. They don't really limit you much with them. I once met a guy who had an old 70's dodge with an antique plate on it, this dude drove it as his work truck. He delivered pizzas in it. the only real advantage to getting one here is that its waaaaaaayyyyyy cheaper to register and renew, and plus you get the satisfaction of everyone behind you knowing you've got the ability to keep a 30 year old car on the road.

It used to be 20+ years here but I guess the fact that 20 years now doesn't mean as much as 20 years did 20 years ago. 20 years now is something from the 90's at this point. 20 years ago, back in oh, 91, something 20 years old would have been from 71. that's not the kind of car that usually lasts 20 years. But if you could put a plate on every taurus honda and toyota on the road thats between teh age of 1991 and 1981 right now, they would make absolutely no revenue at that rate. So they had to bump it up to 30 years so they could still make revenue on the regular $300 registrations and $60 annual renewals.

This means I've got a good 7 years yet before I can run them on mine. Oh well no matter to me. In FL we have a custom state plate, with the Florida Panther on it, proceeds go to helping keep them from going extinct or something like that. I figure what better plate to put on my Cougar, than one with a freakin Cougar on it. Only problem is, with the custom plate, with custom letters, on top of the very literal $300 registration fee, I'm looking at close to $400 to get my car legal. That was a real number given to me by three different DMV workers. This is the reason why I own a 3000 pound lawn ornament.

Some real gems here. Truly, the cookie cutter cars seem to last forever. 300,000 on a Honda is no shock to anyone.

I would love to go for the antique Ohio plates, but believe me if I had an accident and couldn't PROVE that I was going to get the tires balanced I would be denied the insurance claim.

It's cheaper for me in the long run to just pay and be done with it.

BTW, Steve, I'm really sorry it is so expensive for plates down there. Especially if it is keeping your Cougar off the road. At least your car isn't being destroyed daily by the horrible roads we have here. It may be a decent trade-off in the end!

Antique plates

Reply #41
400 is outrageous.. i could tag 3 cars for that price with money left over